Introducing Adobe AIR 1.5

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of Adobe AIR 1.5. New capabilities include:

• Flash Player 10 capabilities: Adobe Flash Player 10 is one of
    the most significant releases of the player, with groundbreaking new
    capabilities. We’ve updated the version of Flash Player included with AIR to
    version 10. For example, it’s now possible to take advantage of custom filters,
    blend modes, and fills with Adobe Pixel Bender. AIR 1.5 also supports the new
    3D effects, including perspective, correct transformation, and animation of 2D
    plans in a 3D space. Rich media
    enhancements include dynamic streaming to improve the quality of video playback
    based on bandwidth availability as well as support for the Speex codec for
    delivering high-quality audio at lower download speeds.
  • WebKit update: The version of WebKit included in AIR has
    been updated to a newer version. The updated version includes Squirrelfish, a
    new bytecode interpreter that improves the execution speed of JavaScript for
    common actions. Our internal tests show that HTML-based AIR applications run as
    much as 35% faster for many types of operations. We have also added support for interactive debuggin fo Ajax-based AIR applications.
  • Encrypted local database: By popular request from
    developers, we’ve added a way of encrypting the
    local database
    inside of AIR. This uses standard SQL apis, so there’s no need for developers to learn specific crypto APIs. Be sure to check out the Quick Start application by Paul Robertson.

If you are a developer building AIR applications, new versions of the Adobe AIR and Flex SDK’s are now available.

New articles available on the Adobe AIR Developer Center:

There are also several new Quick Start applications:

New and updated sample applications with source code that are available:

• BlackBookSafe – BlackBookSafe is an HTML/JavaScript contact list sample application built on Adobe AIR 1.5. The application uses the JQuery framework and the AS3CoreLib library, and leverages three new AIR 1.5 features: Pixel Bender effects, 3D transformations, and the encrypted local database.
  • Salesbuilder – Salesbuilder is a Sales Force Automation application written in Flex and deployed on the Adobe AIR runtime. It demonstrates local persistence using the encrypted, embedded SQLite database, data synchronization, native drag-and-drop support, and direct chart manipulation.
  • Apprise – Apprise is an RSS reader that works online and offline. It features automatic categorization by author and topic, OPML import and export of feeds, real-time search, site view and check mark support, advanced sorting, and support for RSS and ATOM. The user interface has been localized into 11 languages: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
  • 3D Image Browser – This sample application provides search capability for the Flickr website combined with a 3D layout to provide a more interesting way to browse the images. It also has a tag cloud that allows you to find related images. This application uses the new AIR 1.5 3D transformations on a transparent background.

In addition, we’re also putting the final touches on Adobe AIR 1.5 for Linux so stay tuned for additional announcements.

32 Responses to Introducing Adobe AIR 1.5

1. DavidD says:

sounds like nice improvements.

The correct link for paul robertson’s quick start about encrypted database is

because the other one redirects me to

2. Hi
    I think there was an error in the URL for Paul’s devnet article.
    I assume the actual URL is

3. Thanks for the note — the link has been updated. – Rob

4. Martin S says:

Hi,
    Not sure that the code for Salesbuilder is updated with the latest mod for Encryption of the DB? Very keen to see this – love the app!
    Martin

5. Martin S says:

Hi,
    I think that the Salesbuilder link leads to the original code – not updated to the new Encrypted db feature. Looking forward to seeing this – love the app!

Martin

6. Xu Cui says:

I have been following AIR since apollo and it’s a pleasant experience to develop with AIR. I have one question:
    When will AIR be able to launch external programs?

7. Helder Magalhães says:

SVG support still disabled… :-(

I do understand the commercial need for Adobe to urge Flash technology, but I’d argue on achieving that by keeping SVG away on purpose: Webkit has one of the most complete SVG implementations available [1] and I’m convinced that doing so you are only breaking the Web [2] and helping the “real” competition (read: Microsoft’s Silverlight [3]).

Thanks, Adobe, but I’ll pass (again, as in previous AIR releases) an otherwise very promising product!…

[1] http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php
    [2] http://acid3.acidtests.org/
    [3] http://silverlight.net/

8. Jeff says:

I can’t wait to try all these new features !

But before I get there, I’ll have to fix a major issue I’m having :

It seems it is impossible to play SWF content in mx:HTML while beeing in FULL SCREEN mode…

Does anyone have a clue ?

9. daniele says:

yes please! I’ve got the same issue!!! when we can expect a fix for this?

10. JP says:

And we will see a linux version when????

11. Yoav says:

WebKit passes the acid3 test… why would you upgrade AIR to a version that can’t even pass the acid 2 test?

12. When will we see a resolution to the lock that the Air runtime puts on flashlog.txt? This makes it very difficult to debug flash files when an Air application is running. I’m not sure I understand why the file is being locked in the first place?

13. Hi,

Really great improvements. Particularly the Flash updates are very helpful.

14. Jay Paroline says:

I would also like to see a resolution to the lock that Air puts on flashlog.txt, as mentioned by Jason Langdon above.

15. Alex Feyerke says:

I’ll have to join in with the nagging, the lock AIR apps put on the flashlog.txt is maddening. I can’t use my AIR time tracker app, the screen ruler, the kuler app and a few others when I’m developing AS3.

Aaaargh.

16. Alex,

I looked into the status of this bug, and it is scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release. I raised the priority to make sure it doesn’t get deferred.

Christian

17. Jay Godse says:

It’s nice to see this platform with the encrypted database. That is always a concern in thick client applications. Having a nice lightweight SQL database will enable some leaps in client-side productivity.

18. Jamie Newton says:

Lack of SVG support is preventing my company from implementing their next gen products on the AIR platform. Big shame as that could have been many thousands of desktops …

19. evgeny says:

2 Helder Magalhães I totally agree with you.

SVG Support in AIR is missing, that’s big minus, what about the developers who do not know Flash? They want to develop in native SVG.

Come on Adobe time to release it…

20. vicky says:

I like this platform . Adobe AIR offers an exciting new way to engage customers with innovative, branded applications, without requiring changes to existing technology, people, or processes.

21. I am constantly thought about this, regards for posting .

22. Putting all of the items together was helpful, and I will copy and carry it. However my comment- question is: While it seems obvious to me that the present U.S. administration is in clear violation of almost all the treaties we have ratified and almost all generally accepted moral

23. Putting all of the items together was helpful, and I will copy and carry it. However my comment- question is: While it seems obvious to me that the present U.S. administration is in clear violation of almost all the treaties we have ratified and almost all generally accepted moral

24. I like this blog very much. Please keep updating your blog. Even it is Christmas season now, I will still follow your site . I learned quite a bit from here. Happy holiday and 2011 new year!

25. Ne’er knew this, appreciate it for letting me know.

26. Great! a few months ago I had visited this blog, but I forget which article I read on this blog, I never thought in a single month this blog had more visitors than ever before. Good work friend, continue your blogging activities. greetings prosperous fellow bloggers.

27. Just a heads up… your site looks extremely peculiar in Mozilla on a mac

28. I have been reading out some of your articles and i can claim nice stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your blog.

29. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So nice to find someone with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the internet, somebody with somewhat originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the internet!

30. The earlier in life you take the right step towards protecting your family, the more affordable and easily attainable life insurance is. Act sooner than later and you will reap the financial benefits of your prudent decision for the rest of your life.