Adobe AIR 1.5 now available for Linux

A month ago, at our MAX conference in San Francisco, Adobe announced the immediate availability of the Adobe AIR 1.5 runtime and SDK for Mac and Windows. However, since the beginning of the AIR project when the AIR runtime was originally known by its code name Apollo, it has been our intention to bring the runtime and SDK to the Linux community as well. Earlier this year we posted a public beta on Adobe Labs and collected feedback from thousands of users on forums, blogs, Twitter posts, and our team’s feedback form.

Today, we are very pleased to announce the availability of AIR 1.5 for Linux. Thousands of AIR applications such as Twhirl (a popular Twitter client), AOL’s Top 100 Videos, and Parleys.com, are now available to millions of Linux users. This announcement also means that web developers can now use the AIR SDK to create a single desktop application that works on Linux, Mac, and Windows without any changes.

Important note: In order to take advantage of the badge install feature of AIR, you will need to update to the latest version of the Flash Player for Linux (10.0.15.3).

Update: We made a follow-up post that answers a few frequently asked questions related to Adobe AIR for Linux including how to resolve an installation issue some users are experiencing. .

As Linux users are well aware, Linux is available in many different distributions. We decided to focus on three open distributions: Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE based on feedback from the community. Please be sure to visit our updated system requirements page for additional information about the versions of distributions we are supporting.

Many of us here at Adobe are Linux fanatics and our commitment to the Linux community is stronger than ever. Adobe is a member of the Linux Foundation and collaborates with other members of the foundation to help improve Linux. In the past couple of months, at a product level, the Flash Player team not only simultaneously shipped Flash Player 10 on Mac, Windows, and Linux, but they also made an alpha version of Flash Player 10 available for 64-bit Linux distributions on Adobe Labs. Since the Flash Player is included inside of the AIR runtime, AIR 1.5 does natively not support 64-bit Linux distributions at this time. If you are interested in seeing AIR for Linux support 64-bit distributions, I’d like to encourage you to participate in the Player 10 64-bit prerelease forums and send a note to our team if you would like to see this support in AIR.

We’ve also posted a new tech notes describing how to run Adobe AIR on a 64-bit Linux operating system:

Our team would like to welcome your feedback on AIR 1.5. If you believe you are encountering a bug, please be sure to review the release notes (.pdf) and the user forums. If there is a specific bug or feature request that you would like to let us know about, please drop us a note by filling out the feedback form on our website. Thank you to the community of Linux developers and users that made this possible!

Kuler-Linux.png

25 Responses to Adobe AIR 1.5 now available for Linux

1. Dileepa says:

Great!

I have a problem with the default browser on my openSUSE 10.3 installation.

OS: openSUSE 10.3
    DE: KDE 3.5.x
    Default browser: Firefox

I’ve been running TweetDeck on AIR beta and clicking on links opens Konqueror browser instead of opening the link in Firefox. I thought AIR 1.5 would fix the issue, but it apparently has not.

I’ve set the BROWSER environment variable to firefox (if that’s of any help to AIR).

Do you have any suggestions to fix this issue?

2. Mat says:

that’s a really nice move, Adobe !

Thanks alot !

I’m LOVING 64bit-flash and now AIR :)

one of the next applications to be ported to Linux should be “Adobe Digital Editions” or at least please add support in the acrobat reader for ebx.etd (that “nasty” total encrypted pdfs which I bought – I’m still limited to windows when needing to read them ;) )

Adobe rocks !

3. Fantastic news and well done to all those involved in getting this milestone release out for Linux.

4. Mat says:

that’s a really nice move, Adobe !

Thanks alot !

I’m LOVING 64bit-flash and now AIR :)

Adobe rocks !

5. Aaron Conran says:

Congrats on the release to the entire Adobe AIR team. AIR is an amazing technology enabling web developers to develop cross-platform desktop applications in a familiar technology.

I’m ecstatic to see Linux added as an officially supported platform!

6. This is great news! Nice jobs Air team. We are testing our application on the platform this week/weekend and will announce our test results (should be all positive) when we are finished.

This is particularly great news going into the new year and as Air starts getting more traction in Europe and Asia.

7. Vadim P. says:

The 64bit instructions for Ubuntu unfortunately look overly complicated. If you install 64bit flash first though, you can use the normal install method – and it works okay so far.

8. Zarate says:

Thanks for keep supporting Linux, and I hope from now onwards AIR releases are coordinated same as Flash player releases.

Thanks!

Juan

9. wolfgang de los santos says:

Hi !

How can I deinstall AdobeAIRInstaller.bin-files on linux ?

I haved installed AdobeAIRInstaller.bin, then deleted /opt/Adobe Air. And now, when I want install:
    Error:
    Beim Installieren von Adobe AIR trat ein Fehler auf. Möglicherweise wurde die Installation durch den Administrator untersagt. Wenden Sie sich an den Administrator.

But I am the Sys-Admin. Installed under root – ever.

Greatings
    wolfgang de los santos

10. TYSEO says:

Oh, great news. I will try to install it on my ubuntu this weekend. If successfull, I will begin to build RIA on linux. It’s Christmas before Christmas, I’m impatient like a child.

11. @Dileepa: We were able to get it to work on our end. We had to do the following

1. Go to Open SuSe Menu – > Configure Desktop
    2. Select KDE Components from the left pane
    3. Select Web Browser
    4. Put firefox path in the Default Component section

If you are still having trouble, please send us a bug and we’ll look into it: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish/

Thanks,
    -Rob, Adobe AIR Team

12. Robert Knight says:

Thanks AIR team! As has been said elsewhere, the installation was awkward because the ‘Enter root password’ section of the installer failed on my Ubuntu 8.10 system (the part that pops up an ‘xdg-su’ window – perhaps because ‘su’ doesn’t work on Ubuntu systems?, ‘sudo’ has to be used instead).

In case anyone using KDE 4 had Dileepa’s problem (where Adobe AIR opened links in Konqueror instead of Firefox):

1. Go to K-Menu -> Computer -> System Settings
    2. Click ‘Default Applications’
    3. Click ‘Web Browser’
    4. Check the ‘In the following browser:” option and enter ‘firefox’ (or click the ‘…’ icon and browse for the Firefox application via the menu)

13. Sean says:

Great… Waited for along time for this.

Get Free Digital Signage powered by AIR at http://www.MediaSignage.com

14. Weihnachstfrau says:

@WOLFGANG DE LOS SANTOS

Purge /opt/AIR first, then install

Best

15. Telic says:

Some assert that Linux’s CLI is required to install Adobe AIR. Wrong!

Using (GNOME’s) Nautilus file manager GUI, right-click on the Adobe BIN file and check under the Properties’ Permissions tab, to allow executing the file as a program. Next, right-click and Rename the file to remove its .bin extension, so the file name is just AdobeAIRInstaller. Finally, double-click the file to run the Adobe installer, which pops open a new window, requests your authorization (password), and prompts you through the install. That’s it.

You’ll then find AIR maintenance items in the Ubuntu “Accessories” menu (or in the “Tools” menu of Mandriva Linux 2009). The .air file extension is associated with Adobe’s run-time. An AIR application can be removed via the distro RPM or DEB package manager GUI, or by double-clicking its original .air installation file.

:-)

16. Andrew John Hughes says:

‘Many of us here at Adobe are Linux fanatics and our commitment to the Linux community is stronger than ever’

But still not very strong clearly given these are proprietary binaries yet again. If you were really supporting the community, you’d consider release these applications as FOSS.

17. Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the note. I’ll follow-up with you through an email to find out more about your suggestion. While Adobe AIR is not open source, there are many frameworks and applications built on top of AIR that are. You can learn more about what Adobe is working on in the way of open source here:

You can also search code.google.com for examples of how the community is building open source applications and frameworks on top of AIR.

Thanks,
    -Rob
    Adobe AIR Team

18. dan says:

WOW Adobe
    congratulations
    As a linux user this is very significant for me

Downloading ASAP

19. Jimbus says:

Grr, adobe made their site too smart and I can’t download the linux version to install in linux compatibility mode on FreeBSD :P

Maybe if I install lynx…

20. Bernard Opic says:

I wrote Uninstaller for Adobe AIR for doing that automatically.

It currently works on Ubuntu with GNOME and KDE.

21. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog readers have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

22. Hello.This article was really remarkable, particularly since I was browsing for thoughts on this subject last week.

23. I have not yet read this book but I think that it is very interesting and funny!

24. PS2801 says:

I ‘m getting the following error when trying to install:
    Even when running the installer with administrator privileges.
    I’m using MS Vista 32bit with the newest sp installed and the current updates, too.
    I only found this website in my searchengine so I’m answering in the hope that its usefull for the programmers