Adobe AIR Development Plug-In for Aptana Studio Now Available

Today, we are pleased to announce with Aptana that the next major update to the Adobe AIR Development Plug-In for Aptana Studio is now available for download. Joelle Lam, an Aptana engineer that worked on the project, has recorded a video overview (see above) and also authored an excellent overview article describing the new JavaScript debugging capabilities.

The full list of features in the plug-in include:

• Support for Adobe AIR 1.5. (new)
  • Integrated JavaScript Debugger. Watch screencast. (new)
  • Bundled JavaScript frameworks with full code assist (new)
  • Tools for generating application badges (new)
  • Integrated content assist for the Adobe AIR SDK
  • Pre-installed Adobe AIR runtime and SDK
  • Project wizard generates all necessary files for out-of-the box launching of Adobe AIR applications
  • Export wizard bundles and deploys Adobe AIR applications
  • Easily import Ajax libraries into Adobe AIR projects
  • Create and manage certificates for signing Adobe AIR applications
  • Support for localization, menu builders, and source viewing
  • Adobe AIR samples that can be previewed or imported as project
  • Help and online documentation

As we’ve been speaking to JavaScript developers, one of the most requested features has been the ability to debug their applications. While we exposed this capability in Adobe AIR 1.5 released in November of last year and Aptana announced a beta plugin that supports this, today’s announcement is particularly exciting because the final version of this plugin is now available to users and includes many bug fixes and enhancements. Debugging support includes the ability to step in, step over, and step out of code. Errors are displayed in the Console.

aptana-debugging.jpg

Screenshot of the new debugging view.

Related links:

12 Responses to Adobe AIR Development Plug-In for Aptana Studio Now Available

1. Norm Yee says:

Great news, Rob! I think I’ll have many less bang-head-on-desk moments now :)

2. Norm Yee says:

Great news, Rob! I think I’ll have many less bang-head-on-desk moments now :)

3. Norm Yee says:

Great news, Rob! I think I’ll have many less bang-head-on-desk moments now :)

4. @Norm — Hah! Less “bang-head-on-desk moments” is certainly a good thing! :)

5. @Norm — Hah! Less “bang-head-on-desk moments” is certainly a good thing! :)

6. @Norm — Hah! Less “bang-head-on-desk moments” is certainly a good thing! :)

7. VanBCGunner says:

I appreciate all the cool stuff you are releasing, but I will never be happy if I can’t

– Develop in AJAX/Html
    – Make my window transparent
    – Be able to run flash/pdf content in my transparent window

Till then, AIR is air to me.

8. VanBCGunner says:

– Develop in AJAX/Html
    – Make my window transparent
    – Be able to run flash/pdf content in my transparent window

Till then, AIR is air to me.

9. VanBCGunner says:

– Develop in AJAX/Html
    – Make my window transparent
    – Be able to run flash/pdf content in my transparent window

Till then, AIR is air to me.

10. Hi,Yes reading you articles on your blog does make me think twice now, before i go and open my big gob

11. Hi,Yes reading you articles on your blog does make me think twice now, before i go and open my big gob

12. Hi,Yes reading you articles on your blog does make me think twice now, before i go and open my big gob