Improved Flash Player Support in Chrome

The Flash Platform has a long history of delivering Web innovation, and core to the Platform is Adobe Flash Player, our browser-based application runtime. Today, Flash Player is installed on nearly all Internet-connected desktops worldwide, and delivers rich content and interactive Web applications to a rapidly growing number of smartphones, tablets and netbooks. We continue to advance Flash Player through both my team’s work and through the contributions of the Open Screen Project, which includes almost 70 industry partners.
Google is a key participant in the Open Screen Project and shares our commitment to driving innovation on the Web. With this common goal in mind, Adobe and Google are collaborating to take the Flash Player experience to the next level by supporting a deeper integration with Google’s Chrome browser. Today, Google is releasing the initial integration of Flash Player with Chrome in their developer channel, behind a command line flag. Moving forward, Google will be including Flash Player in Chrome so users will always have the most current release and a safer and more seamless experience. To learn more about this integration you can visit the Chromium Blog.
Additionally, we are also working with Google, Mozilla, and the broader community on a new API that can provide a better way for all Web browsers and plug-ins to interact with each other. While the current NPAPI has served the industry well, it lacks the flexibility and power to support the pace of innovation we see ahead. We expect that the new API specification will offer some distinct benefits over the current technology available.

• The API will be operating system and browser-neutral, minimizing the chance of inconsistent behavior across platforms.
  • The new API is being designed with the flexibility to allow plug-ins to more tightly integrate with host browsers.
  • The new plug-in API will provide performance benefits since the host browser will be able to directly share more information about its current state.
  • The tighter integration provided by the API can allow for a more secure browsing experience as it will be easier to unify security models and collaborate on security techniques, such as sandboxing.

We welcome and encourage the participation in the definition and development of this new API. To read more about this project, visit this page.
Our hope is that the robust integration between Chrome and Flash Player will serve as a showcase for more consistent, seamless, and efficient Web browsing experiences. We feel that this significant effort by both Google and Adobe will directly improve the speed of innovation and move the Web forward, benefiting the entire community of developers and end-users.
Paul Betlem
Sr. Director, Flash Player Engineering

60 Responses to Improved Flash Player Support in Chrome

1. Rezmason says:

Deeper Flash integration? That’s hella tite! Literally.

2. This is great news, but will there also be a command line flag to enable an internal debugger plugin?

3. So we will be able to use Web-browser based Flash on our Google Android smartphones?

4. Francesco says:

That’s one small step… congratulations guys, for both OSP and thing great news!

5. Paul, this is fantastic news. What can we Flash advocates do to help make sure that NPAPI supports passing keyboard shortcuts to the player? The inability to support CTRL+C, CTRL+V etc in a reliable, cross-browser fashion that’s not a giant hack is one of the main flaws of Flash as a RIA platform. We’ve waited long enough, let’s make it happen! :)
    Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help with this. We’ll mobilize. :)
    Peldi

6. Znuff says:

Hopefully this means less memory usage when using intensive flash applications over longer periods of time (I’m talking in GBytes here) and better browser integration.
    NPAPI needed a substitute for years now. Always wondered when Google will change this for Chrome, not if :-)

7. Wow, this is excellent news. A real commitment between Adobe and Google to push integration proves that two large companies with some levels of overlapping in some areas can work together to bring the best both have to offer to developers. Kudos to Adobe and Google for taking this initiative.
    I look forward to what is coming.
    +LA

8. Paul Betlem says:

@ Peldi: This is exactly the type of improvement we expect to support. We’ll share progress updates periodically so you can participate in the process.

9. Paul Betlem says:

@Znuff: This effort isn’t explicitly focused on reducing memory use, but the upcoming version of Flash Player 10.1 does introduce numerous optimizations for CPU usage, power management, and memory use. Please take a look at the Beta we have posted and share feedback with us if your issues haven’t been addressed.

10. Paul Betlem says:

Flash Player 10.1 for Android will arrive in the first half of this year. Details are posted here:

11. Paul Betlem says:

@Scott: We’re still working out the details for enabling the debugging functionality via Chrome.

12. Benny says:

Excellent news!
    I hope this will open up typical browser features to plug-ins like Flash (without reverting to JS hacks) like bookmarking, history/deep linking, read access to user style-sheet, integrated search facility, listening to browser menu/button events in the plugin.
    Will it?

13. Jeff J says:

Hopefully the tracking of flash events and “pages” will be much much easier too?
    Indexing? Bookmarks?
    I have been using the old hacks and js index.htm?page=xx to link in for way too long.
    would love a solution, especially for magazines and the like such as http://www.lookbookhd.com and madmenmag.com etc.

14. bob says:

Will this allow middle clicking links to open in new tab?

15. Wow, that is what I’m talking about! Great news!

16. Xavi Beumala says:

These are fantastic news!!

17. Luke says:

If Flash plug-in will be integrated into Chrome, the hardware acceleration will be enabled and native? (ex: i have a geforce 7950 and sometimes is very slow in flash)
    And about the Control-c, Control-v will be supported into flash chat?
    I want to report that into flash plugin for Chrome the characters of keyboard Italian aren’t fully supported.. The Italian keys (è,à, etc) are rearranged strangely.. I can’t find the “?” pressing the correspondent key and the others all wrong or mapped onto keyboard-us..
    Please fix it.. pls..
    Luke

18. Paul Betlem says:

The Flash Player added initial support for hardware acceleration about 2 years ago. It is essential that the hardware acceleration support in the Flash Player integrates well with each browser’s drawing model, both on desktop systems and mobile devices. This work will happen independent of this effort.
    I aknowledge the need to support ctrl-c,v and understand its importance.
    For the issue with the Italian keyboard, could I ask that you file a bug at
    https://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/ so we can investigate?

19. Cristi says:

I Love flash and good to see finally some big news about Flash this is 100% a big step for adobe evolution.
    And make more work to Flash and add more powerful, faster and more advanced features then the success will be unavoidable.

20. TheTruth says:

Well done, this had to be done, keep up the good Job, uh, work ! ;)

21. php/ajax says:

Since Flash will now be integrated into the browser it would be a good idea allow the HTML 5 audio and video tags to playback flash audio and video content

22. Art says:

In noting your current conflict between Apple and Adobe regarding Flash and having first hand experience in the frequent crashes when using Flash within Safari, FireFox, Opera and the beta of Chrome… what are you doing to make the version of Flash for the Macintosh stable? It’s been years of problems and each new version of Flash for the Macintosh brings new hope however never seems to address the real problems. You seem to be more interested in pushing new features rather than fixing the ones you already have.
    I’ve lived with the ‘poor bastard child of the family’ syndrome for years now on the Macintosh (the same syndrome from your friends at Microsoft Office as well). You can’t seriously blame Apple for your code being unstable so why is it that instead of posturing about how ’99%’ of the browsers out there run Flash, you work on making it an equal experience for all platforms? If you did, you’d have better support from the Apple users on pushing Apple toward better supporting it. I know Apple hasn’t opened up the ability to use hardware acceleration but perhaps if you code worked more reliably, they’d be more interesting in working with you.
    A better step, if Adobe is sincerely interested in making sure the technology is pervasive, is to turn Flash over to the Open Source world and let developers around the world enhance the platform.
    -Art

23. Basam Yacoub says:

Someone is finally responding to the ‘Aww Snap’ messages I get in chrome when opening multiple flash pages. I have to reload every page across tabs, when that happens, it is so annoying -and that’s when I’m lucky. Other times I have to save each page one by one and then reload the entire browser.
    Oh and I am a PC :)

24. ragingblizzard says:

Great news, this is next big step for the flash future

25. Alexander says:

What is the plan for Linux x64 here? Will Chrome include the alpha version of your flashplayer or will it include the 32 bit version of flashplayer and emulate 64 bit support?

26. HY Tan says:

Flash player 10.1 Beta3 still crash when running some of these heavy facebook flash-based apps by Playfish and Zynga. I do notice it do crash less now (but not 100% crash free yet and still a major ram memory eater) but I believe there is still room for reducing app memory leakage and eating up lots of ram over short period of run-time. If the following highly popular flash-based social game apps (see links below) can run without any crash or slowdown/freeze when leaving it running for some time (e.g. it happens after visiting about 100-200 neigbours in-game or more significant to high level players), it will make flash player a much stable plug-in.
    The links are for adobe flash dev staff to test and ensure it can eventually reach a state of crash-free and stable performance across browsers and platforms. I’m not a staff of Playfish or Zynga but a facebook flash app game player. Below links are for adobe/chrome dev staff to test for stability and improvement to slowdown/freeze/crash/memory leak (high level players experience this more occurance as we have many neighbours and objects placed in-game) or for flash dev team to contact playfish or zynga top facebook flash game developers to improve flash-based social game stability and performance and overcome any limitation/bug.
    I’m currently using Chrome latest 5.0.342.8 beta and 10.1.51.95 flash player in a MS Windows7 environment with intel low-voltage dual-core ULV SU2300 processor on my laptop, intel 4 series express chipset (integrated GMA4500MHD) and a few GB ram at the time of writing this. Commentary is based on flash plug-in 10.1b3 experience.
    Here’s a few very popular top ranked facebook flash app that has crashed on me quite often or experience a slowdown/freeze daily before or recently when running individual app or multiple app, (no doubt, running a few of these flash app concurrently in a few multiple tabs will speed up the crash process or degrade faster):
    Farm Ville
    Pet Society
    Restaurant City
    Country Story
    Gangster City
    (there are other playfish/zynga apps too but just to list a few of them here that are affected for adobe to do testing, Adobe flash dev team might wanna go through all top 10-20 ranking facebook flash-based app to ensure they are crash-proof and stable across platforms and browsers)
    Last but not least,
    Running YouTube Videos also cause similar problem.
    Once in the past, I download a 3rd party program to clean up flash cache and release much memory back to the system while flash apps are running in hope to prevent/reduce crash but it only delay crash but won’t stop flash from crashing at all (even if the ram don’t hit over 90% usage after using 3rd party program to release it back). Clear browser cache or CCleaner also do not prevent crash from happening or prevent slowdown/freeze/hang entirely on my chrome browser. I have to force Chrome browser to exit sometimes (the browser top-right close button do not work too) when the flash plugin won’t stop running and responding(even after I press stop when being told by chrome that flash is not responding).
    Does the integration of Flash in Chrome mean that we always get the latest beta release version from Adobe automatically in future and being more memory efficient in future development?

27. HY Tan says:

I’m have updated and now using Flash player 10.1 RC but Facebook Flash-based games app such as Farmville (FV) http://apps.facebook.com/onthefarm/index.php still crash in Chrome (latest beta channel/version). Usually it will get slower and then blackout and crash. It happens to Playfish and Zynga games (as well as YouTube videos) which are the most popular facebook flash-based games and video site to date and yet it still crash in the latest Flash 10.1RC release. I’m running laptop in Windows7 with few gb ram, low-voltage/dual-core processor with Intel 4 series express chipset GMA4500MHD. No wonder Apple say Flash is problematic… so please if Adobe wanna prove Apple wrong, at least make it crash-free and stop eating up memory/ram before making official release of 10.1 to all kind of platforms and environment and the public. Thank you.

28. Paul Betlem says:

Hi,
    Thank you for the detailed description of the issues you’re having. We will investigate the problem you’re seeing, though I would encourage you to file a bug using the URL below so we can track the progress of the investigation.
    — Paul

29. dl says:

Would be nice If they finally make the mousewheel work on mac`s without using javascript …..

30. Leonie Millera says:

31. Tim H says:

We have some code in our npapi plugin to check whether flash is loaded. It does so by attempting to load flash’s NSBundle. With this change flash’s bundle identifier has changed from
    com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin
    to
    com.macromedia.FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin
    I can understand a one-time change to accommodate the new sandboxing, but putting the version number in the identifier? Will it be changing with every flash runtime release?

32. Linda P says:

I use Google Chrome! I have a Windows 7 in 64 bit. I do not want to install a 32bit browser. WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO SMELL THE COFFEE AND ADD A 64 BIT VERSION????

33. JUZZIE87 says:

Mad, It’s good to see support for Android. Now theres another reason to say its better than the iPhone OS.

34. elvi says:

because my facebook had not found games like farmville, anyway may server for facebook is bloaked.

35. Athena says:

I am facing problem to play facebook games by using older version of adobe flash player, so, decided to download latest version, I was told to uninstall the older version, restart computer and install latest Flash player, but after tried for days, I still cant get to have Flash Player in place although there is message prompting me installation successful, but, I cant find this program any way of my laptop which is run by Window Vista, any kind hearted people can help??? Urgent…
    Thanks in advance

36. Paul Betlem says:

Hi,
    We’ll contact you directly to investigate your issue.
    — Paul

37. Luti Lutz says:

Over one month ago that I can not enter http://apps.facebook.com/restaurantcity/, I downloaded adobe flash repeatedly, change my internet explorer by chome, but I can not solve the problem, please help in this.
    thank you very much.
    Lu

38. KC says:

Forget the accolades.
    Flash player is not working in Chrome and neither is Youtube.
    I am not a techy. What is wrong?

39. Paul Betlem says:

For Windows, you can get help here:
    For Mac, you can get help here:
    — Paul

40. KC says:

I uninstalled and reinstalled. You Tube and other Flash sites worked for a while. Then all of a sudden I started to get the lock-ups again.
    I am not a techy. Help.

41. KC says:

Flash stopped working this evening after working all day using Chrome.
    After many tries and variations.
    OK, it’s working again.
    I ran the flash uninstall program.
    Then downloaded the Flash installer.
    Closed Chrome and ran Flash installer.

42. mehul says:

hey.is.there.any.flash.player.for.window.mobile

43. Barbara says:

My computer runs Vista 64 bit; I have to run internet explorer 8 in 32 bit instead of 64 bit to use flash. This problem must affect a major portion of computer users and is slowing progress.
    When is this problem going to get fixed?

44. Barbara says:

Oops, meant to say by computer runs Windows 7 64 bit (not Vista 64 bit).
    Is there an answer as to when Adobe Flash will release a Flash version which will work with internet explorer 8 in 64 bit? Thanks

45. Debra says:

Ok so what your saying is, I have bought a 64 bit windows 7 computer, 6 gigs of ram and you say I have to go backwards with my browsers to 34 bit, and 34 bit does not recognize all my ram so my computer is going to go so much slower because Im going backwards? I can not watch stuff on hulu, says I need to upgrade flash, I try and upgrade and firefox wont even open, it just crashes. so I had to uninstall, I also am a huge player of the games on facebook. Is there any time frame when you might have a flash that will work with 64 bit? here are my specs on my computer:
    well I cant seem to find that info, and no web sites working at the moment for checking for me so Im gonna have to restart. hopefully Ill be back with my system I know it has a quad processor, 6 gigs ram, windows 7 64 bit and its a dell but I cant find the info to be all techy , I just got the computer 5 days ago.

46. Debra says:

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States) Dell Inc. Inspiron 570 00
    System Service Tag: 4SGDQL1 (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 4SGDQL1
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    WD Virtual CD 1110 USB Device [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic- Compact Flash USB Device [Hard drive] — drive 2
    Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device [Hard drive] — drive 4
    Generic- SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] — drive 1
    Generic- SM/xD Picture USB Device [Hard drive] — drive 3
    ST31000528AS [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) — drive 0, s/n 9VP61RX7, rev CC45, SMART Status: Healthy
    WD My Book 1110 USB Device [Hard drive] (999.49 GB) — drive 5, s/n WCAU4D381351
    WD SES Device USB Device [Hard drive] — drive 6, s/n WCAU4D381351 5888 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Local Drive Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 984.43 GB 953.58 GB free
    j: (NTFS on drive 5) 999.50 GB 891.24 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    debbie66 5/22/2010 4:02:32 PM (admin)
    local system accounts
    Administrator 4/9/2010 10:48:13 AM (admin)
    Guest never
    HomeGroupUser$ never
    DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account
    Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers Display
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 2 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 3 [Controller]
    Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller ATI Radeon HD 4200 [Display adapter]
    DELL ST2310 [Monitor] (23.1″vis, s/n P480R9BJ23GL, November 2009)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (4x) ATI High Definition Audio Device
    Dhcp Server: deleted for privacy
    Physical Address: deleted for privacy
    Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Networking Dns Server: deleted for privacy
    HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
    HID-compliant device
    USB Input Device (2x)
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID-compliant mouse
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
    USB Root Hub (6x)
    Generic volume shadow copy
    F:\
    G:\
    H:\
    I:\
    there is all the techy stuff LOL

47. Paul Betlem says:

We are working on 64-bit versions of the Flash Player. I can’t comment on the timing of the release, but acknowledge the very strong feedback we’ve received from the community on their importance.

48. Paul Betlem says:

We do not have plans to support Flash Player 10.1 on Windows Mobile 6.5. We do have plans to support Windows Phone 7 Series:

49. Halil says:

I thought the 10.1 release and the 64bit support would come out at the same time. No? And you state that you can not comment on the timing, which makes me feel like its not gonna be in the short term. The 64bit version of the Flash Player is looooong overdue.
    Its nice to know that you acknowledge the strong feedback from the community but the community feeds that back for at least 2 years now. I wonder what made you to change your mind and to listen to the community feedback at last!!

50. Paul Betlem says:

If you’re interested, I’d be happy to add you to the pre-release program so you’ll get early access to a testable version once its ready.

51. Bill says:

So if I understand you correctly, you’re defacto industry standard software does not (reliably) support the latest (read 2 years) worth of operating systems and browser updates?
    I’m not a techie, I just want to know what I need to do so I can have the web browser functionality I have had for the last 10 years…If anyone at HP had told me my windows 7/64-bit system won’t play any video on the internet I may have reconsidered the purchase.
    I’m not criticizing your products, I just don’t like to see you take a position on Adobe uniting all of the browser/hardware/OS platforms on the market and then utterly fail to deliver on an entire generation of products now being almost exclusively pushed by the hardware manufacturers.

52. Hello, i am a Webdesigner and i would like to join the pre-release program that supports 64 bit browsers.
    In my opinion is such a shame for all computer users around the world, since 2006 when i first met windows xp 64 bit, still no full support for this architecture, processors and motherboards from that time like atlhon 64 are already obsolete, and there are no full support from the main companies like adobe and microsoft, “Adobe” is always an pioneer company releasing the best image solutions. Now i am disappointed that not all cs5 applications supports 64 bit. I am very satisfied about After FX cs5 64bit, Works great! now i cannot wait to see flash player and dreamweaver/flash cs5 64bit. I think it is time to adobe to show it´s power, html 5 i coming called “Flash Kiler”
    Better late than never.
    Thanks in advance from Brazil.

53. Mark Young says:

What is the estimated time frame for Adobe Flash Player to be supported for windows 7 64 bit. I am aware that I can run in 32 bit mode but am not interested in that.
    Thank You.

54. Jenny says:

Ok so i just installled google chrome and adobe flash player, and it STILL says i need to install it!
    What is this??
    How do i make it work?
    i ran it on my computer and EVERYTHING!!!
    WHY
    Please help. :)
    -Jenn

55. mary ann says:

why me not connect or play the farmville….????

56. Abubakar umar says:

iam using samsung D780.pls send me adobe flash player in my phone pls.it prevent me from viewing somany content after browsing.thanks.

57. rachmiles says:

Really disappointed downloaded google chrome and the FLASH PLAYER HAS GONE TO POT. have followed all the advice and uninstalled all previous Flash Players now I don’t have anything installed and it’s still taking over 3 hours to download 10.1 which inevitably I don’t really have time for. my laptop will turn itself off or I’ll get bored by the time it states that time remaining is 3 days!
    I am running a Dell VOSTRO 1310. please help my son is now upset that he can’t play his fave internet games!

58. Useless says:

Totally useless when you’re leaving all the x86_64 Linux users out in the cold.