Adobe AIR on iPad

After queuing for an hour at the flagship Apple Store in SF this morning, we finally got our hands on a stack of magical devices. We’ve spent the rest of the day having fun getting the first Adobe AIR apps running on the iPad.

We’ve tested many of the existing AIR apps that are on the Apple App Store today (Alchemist, BaoZi Jump, Something Fishy, Gridshock, Space On-Air, Moai Mawashi etc, etc…), and they all have been working beautifully.

We have also been working on bringing up the first “HD” apps that take advantage of the gorgeous screen of the iPad.

Christian Cantrell from our team also got a multiscreen AIR app working on the iPad today.

The performance is pretty impressive, seems to be about 2x the performance of the 3GS. We’re looking forward to all the cool new apps that are going to be possible with this form factor.

42 Responses to Adobe AIR on iPad

1. ilsh says:

Very cool. Is Adobe releasing tools to convert AIR app to iPad/iPhone app? (I heard CS5 has a packager. But for flex developers it’s too much to buy CS5 simply to use the packager only.)

2. Alright. Enough. I’m really sick of seeing Adobe discuss their IN-HOUE ONLY ability to develop things for the iPhone and iPad. This Packager project of yours has been floating in the air for months! I’ve been trying to get answers regarding this on the forums for months myself. Nothing. Not a word. Zero.

My opinion – STOP showing how great your private, exclusive in-house tools are. What’s the point? If you’re going to keep doing this – how about at least giving SOME indication of when this is going to get out to those people who don’t sit in an Adobe office room.

Jason Villmer
    villmer@lucid.it

By the way, nice demonstration of a immersion technology. Why does this idea look oddly familiar?!

3. Alright. Enough. I’m really sick of seeing Adobe discuss their IN-HOUE ONLY ability to develop things for the iPhone and iPad. This Packager project of yours has been floating in the air for months! I’ve been trying to get answers regarding this on the forums for months myself. Nothing. Not a word. Zero.

Jason Villmer
    villmer@lucid.it

4. Ryan Hovland says:

Nice! Is this made with the CS5 iPhone app packager?

5. Adobe has set the standard and always will. How easy for me to built app for so many platform with a language i have been using for years. Who ever said flashplayer was over wasn’t talking about now..maybe never..The funny thing is that, most of the Ajax app you see are mock ups of flash and flex developers. The take the best and try to mimic what we been doing for years. Flash player has come a long way and now AIR. Adobe keep surprising us, am proper happy to be a part of this.

6. David Arno says:

@Jason Villmer,

Well said. I 100% agree.

Adobe, release the tools to the masses or shut up already. We are bored of hearing about how Adobe can create iPhone/ iPad AIR apps with tools that they won’t release to anyone else.

David Arno.
    davidarno.org

7. Erki Esken says:

Jason, David,

You both have had a chance to sign up for Adobe prerelease programs (AIR/Flash) at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=prerelease_interest for long time.

You can’t blame Adobe if you haven’t shown your interest before. Their iPhone stuff is work in progress, you can’t expect them to release every such project on Labs site. Either take time and participate in prerelease programs, or wait until public release.

8. Matthew Fabb says:

Jason, Adobe has been pretty clear that this functionality will be coming out in Flash CS5. Also recently Adobe has a reveal of CS5 products on Monday, April 12th. Based on the CS3 and CS4 launches, this means CS5 should be out either at the end of April or more likely the beginning of May.

In the meantime, I still think it’s cool to see what’s coming.

9. Rob McKeown says:

As part of the AIR 2 prerelease program you get the iPhone/iPad compiler stuff. So you don’t need to buy Flash CS5.

10. Kevin Benore says:

While some on this thread have complained about the availability of tools Adobe is testing is pre-release, I find it more telling that the Adobe crew had to stand in line to get units on the iPad. I would think that Apple would have sent a few over for them to review and test software with before now (as they have with other content producers). Perhaps they did, but this article seems to indicate “first time” scenarios with the iPad. It a shame that Apple has seemingly snubbed Adobe again.

11. Leslie says:

@Kevin

I’m still wondering why they only had to stand in line for an hour. I though the hype around the iPad would have create longer lines, but I guess it really is only “hype”.

Good job Adobe for letting people know that AIR works on the iPad after being bashed for so long by Apple around Flash.

12. My primary interest is to see the iPad Packager tools for Flash Builder 4, not the Flash CS5 IDE. What I find astounding is that a 3rd party has already implemented their own near-release solution to bringing Flex 3 applications to the iPad.

How is it that a 3rd party can be this far on a product like this and there hasn’t been a single thing offered to Flex and Flash Builder developers by Adobe itself?

While Apple continues to spit in Adobe’s face, you’ve got quite a few developers who want nothing more than to even the score a bit and get their ideas on those devices. How about, instead of more obscure news and demonstrations of what Adobe employees are doing – why don’t you announce what you’ve got planned for Flash Builder developers on this subject.

I am signed up for the Adobe Prerelease Program by the way. I’ve yet to receive that email letting me to know I can download a pre-release build of Flash Builder 4 with iPad Packager features.

Jason Villmer
    villmer@lucid.it

13. David says:

Jason, do you mean something like this

14. @ David

Did you catch the date of that document?

“Updated October 5, 2009″

That was 6 months ago. Here we are in April. This only reinforces my point.

Jason Villmer
    villmer@lucid.it

15. Matthew Fabb says:

As David points out, Adobe has announced the mobile Flex framework called Slider. Adobe are looking to push it out the second half of 2010. A bit vague on the release date, but that’s typical of all software companies. Software companies don’t want their competitors to know their release dates and the nature of developing complex programs makes it hard to hit an exact release date, when it’s unknown what obstacles they will hit.

However, hopefully we will see a beta released before the final version of Slider is released. Perhaps Adobe is waiting for Flash CS5 to be released with the iPhone packager before the Slider is released as beta?

16. The point is that you don’t know. I see more question marks on these comments than anything.

In my opinion there was a real opportunity in getting Slider capabilities into Flash Builder 4 BEFORE the iPad was released. How nice it would have been to see some of the first, and best, iPad applications made with Adobe software.

So, Flash Builder developers, just sit back and continue to be shown what you can’t do. If you have an idea for something, just send it to the Adobe AIR team so they can build it for you – and maybe put it on the iTunes store (right now) :-)

17. Chris Kinsman says:

Stop waiting for Adobe and use all the other technologies available to you. The product development cycles just get longer and more expensive every year. I ditched Flash development a long time ago because of it’s proprietary nature and lack of openness.

In addition, these AIR applications just look really bad. They lack core design aesthetics. They are basically flat and boring Flash animations you find all over the web. Where’s the loading bar and the “Skip Intro” button? Will we get that too on our iPads and iPhones?

18. I digress.

@ Chris

You’re right. The iPhone SDK is, in fact, there for building applications for Apple’s devices. Some of the applications I’ve seen for the iPad are truly astounding. None of which were built using Adobe tools. I just see so much potential in AIR and Flash. The idea of leveraging what we already know using the Adobe tools to push our work on portable / mobile devices is very appealing. I’ve not given up hope yet but it is a shame that there has to be so much ambiguity, mystery and delay.

Jason Villmer
    villmer@lucid.it

This will be my last post on this subject.

19. Greg Bulmash says:

Second, third, fourth, the “stop teasing us” message.

20. Retiarius says:

Now that Mr. Negative is gone, I want to say that what you’ve shown is very impressive! If you’ve ever tried to develop anything with the iPhone SDK, you know what a PITA it is for garbage collection, memory management in general, and doing anything with the UI that doesn’t march locked in step with the Apple Interface Guidelines (1984 anyone?). I’m really excited to use Adobe apps to develop not only for the iFamily, but for other devices and platforms as well. That “little panorama app” is a great example of harnessing the power of the iPad. Those distortion effects don’t come cheap, and the performance is great. It would be great to have the source to learn from. Keep up the great work!

21. Pretty cool !

Armetiz

22. Chris Kinsman says:

@Jason

Have you tried developing with the new Titanium application from Appcelerator? Of all the companies creating iPhone development apps, this is by far the most promising. I’m not promoting it by any means, but it’s the best I have used.

If you have knowledge of Java, HTML and CSS, then it’s supposed to be a great tool for developing iPhone and iPad applications, plus it’s Free and Open Source.

23. brian says:

@ Jason: “I want my next gen technology nowwww! In fact I demand it”

response: if you can’t wait then build your own solution in Objective C else wait like the rest of us for Adobe to make our lives easier (again). The web and technology was turned so many people into spoiled babies.

@ Adobe AIR team: Looking good! Its going to be a huge win if Flash dev makes it into the iPad on a grand scale. I plan to be part of that push.

24. Chris Kinsman says:

@Jason

As a follow up, I understand your frusration with Adobe, but realize that it doesn’t matter how much you yell and scream at them, because it normally falls on deaf ears and you will be told that it’s your fault. It’s been my experience in the past that I got little to no support on software issues.

As a result, I’ve decided to ween myself off Adobe products. Adobe is too big and cares too little for the average person. It’s time again for small developer shops to lead the way to great innovation and customer service. Sorry Adobe, but you guys are out of touch with your base.

25. Nicolas says:

Hi all the Air blog Team.

I’m like Jason in the business of the virtual tour.

I’d like to know if you plan to release the code source of the player you’re showing in your demo ?

I’m sure there are plenty people over there that would love to use the Ipad to make cool demo. And if it can be on an AS3 base, it’s great !

Regards,
    Nicolas

26. And so, as predicted, Apple has now taken measures further steps to prevent AIR / AS3 applications from working on the iPhone OS 4.0:

27. chris says:

Its about time Adobe sucks up the short term damage and stops all mac development!

short pain, focus on 95% of the computer market, you will be fine.

or endure the attack from apple slowly, until apple develop a creative suite competing product and endure more damages.

Leverage is now, and adobe is being unwise not to use it when it can.

28. Chris Kinsman says:

Wow… I hope Adobe comes up with an alternate plan for building iPhone and iPad apps, because your developer community is going to be pretty upset after they read this:

29. david doull says:

Is there any way adobe can be certain apple wont block air form osx? like they have done with the ipad?

30. Riley says:

Adobe hasn’t realized that Apple, Google and Microsoft are competitors not partners.

Adobe you had your chance to do something great with mobile years ago and well you messed it up.

31. Will says:

Seriously cool. When are we going to have a packager for blackberry android and ipad and iphone?

32. Chris Kinsman says:

I recently read this article that Adobe plans on suing Apple so that consumers will be forcefed Flash crap on their devices.

If that is the case, then Adobe will be showing their hand too soon and allowing Apple (the most admired company in the world BTW) to make strong arguments against Flash.

Adobe will make the general public aware that they want to force a proprietary and closed piece of software onto consumers who should rely on web standard-compliance that has an open, diverse and ever increasing developer community. I will have lost further respect for Adobe and use their products less and less if this lawsuit goes through.

33. Michael N. says:

Um…Apple, the most admired company in the world? Was that on some Apple blog? How is code that runs native on the iPhone forcing proprietary and closed software on consumers. Flash Player is not running on the iPhone, rather Adobe’s development environment creates an iPhone app.

This is a rather lame move, but regardless as a developer of both standards based HTML/CSS (w/ Javascript/PHP) and a Flash developer I look forward to CS5 and other tablets that have a forward facing camera and run Flash. If Apple releases such a device, so much the better.

34. Ian says:

>Apple (the most admired company in the world BTW)

Huh? I think you need to get out more.

35. Chris Kinsman says:

@Michael and @Ian

Actually, I think you guys need to get out more. *snap* Jeez… the lengths I have to go to and educate the “Adobe Kids”.

36. Jack says:

Hi,
    Our company want to ship our Android based products with AIR 2.5 built in, should we pay a license fee for this? Many thanks.

37. Warren says:

All I want to know is as a consumer (and not a developer) who wants to run an Air based app on an iPad, how am I going to be able to do this?

Do I need to wait for the app developer to convert the app to run on the iPad, or is Adobe going to step up with either an app to run Air apps, or an end user converter?

38. Amel says:

Dear maneger
    I am trying to download the Adobt flash player from my I a
    Pad but I coudnot please I need your help I am not working on the inter net
    Amel

• Tato says:

Dear maneger
      I am trying to download the Adobt flash player from my I a
      Pad but I coudnot please I need your help I am not working on the inter net

39. hey nice post!!! please let me know how to run an Air based app on an iPad???

40. I read a similar article on another blog and couldn’t fully see the implications, but your article makes it clearer to me now. Many thanks!