Flash Player 10.1: Live and Ready for Android

This week marks an exciting milestone for Flash Player. On Tuesday, June 22, we announced the availability of the shipping version of Flash Player 10.1 for mobile. The final release has been posted to the Android Market. With Andy Rubin’s announcement today about Android 2.2 (“Froyo”) being released as open source, we expect select devices can be upgraded to Froyo and can install Flash Player. As I shared previously, this release was a major undertaking to get the same Flash Player to work across various smartphones and desktop operating systems and browsers. Through the generous contributions of our partners (read more about the Open Screen Project) and the extensive community feedback we received along the way, we’ve been able to further optimize and tune the technology. For instance, the Beta release feedback we received was instrumental in helping us further improve Flash Video performance.
You may have also heard the news on the launch of Motorola’s new Droid X smartphone on the Verizon network this morning. It’s an impressive device with a beautiful 4.3 inch high-res screen backed up by a 1 ghz processor and 8 GB of onboard memory and a 16 GB microSD card. Both users of the Droid X and the original Droid can get Flash Player 10.1 with the Android 2.2 update later this summer.
What I personally find most exciting are the opportunities ahead for developers. At today’s Droid X launch in New York, Andy Rubin shared that 160,000 Android phones are sold daily. As more and more Android devices come to market, along with planned support for Flash Player on RIM’s Blackberry devices, Nokia’s Symbian and MeeGo devices, Palm’s WebOS devices, and future versions of Windows Phone, the momentum is clear. Its a truly an amazing time for Flash.

24 Responses to Flash Player 10.1: Live and Ready for Android

1. v s says:

Great work, keep it up! Not to nitpick, but I think you mean “8 GB of onboard memory and a 16 GB microSD card.” 8MB would set us back a decade;)

2. Amol M. says:

I think you mean… “8GB” and “16GB microSD card” not MB.

3. Paul Betlem says:

Thank you. You’re quite right. I’ve made this correction. Hopefully the Motorola guys didn’t see this. :-)

4. antoy says:

i want to watch

5. Karen says:

Myself and several friends running XP downloaded this new adobe update and now our computers restart if we try to open anything that uses adobe, i.e. slideshows, u-tube, etc. It tells me to get rid of conflicting Windows Messenger and in details of that, it is accessories and games…I don’t want to get rid of that, yet I don’t want my computer constantly restarting.
    Is there a fix in the works for this?

6. mary says:

So will this work on my new. 3 G android?

7. Tracy says:

I hate the new fl;ash player it keeps crashing on me, every time i use it on facebook. I want the bugs fixed on it. I am running windows 7 and its not working. Please help

8. Eric says:

I can’t watch news videos with Flash Player on my Win7/IE8 laptop. It just barely works on my Win XP/IE7 virtual machine. Doesn’t appear to have any buffer whatsoever.

9. Suzie Stewart says:

10. audry says:

please fix this adobe it keeps crashing constantly on my laptop and desktop i have both windows vista and xp and its so frusterating please fix these bugggggs cuz its buggging me!
    thanks!

11. Minamina says:

So can you actually download flashpalyer to the droid or what? I’m not a techie, just put up some simple download directions/link please.

12. Thomas says:

The Market is still showing the Beta 3 for me – Nexus One, Android 2.2 Build FRF83.
    So where is the final release that you’re talking about?
    Best, Thomas

13. jen says:

I can’t install the adobe flash 10.1 on my window XP. I have downloaded the Javascript and enabled it in the secruity section. Also, my Active X plug in is also enabled. Why is it not working.

14. GBean says:

Yo Adobe!!! Fix this Flash player crap. I cant watch any flash content anywhere using Firefox or IE8. Either fix it or re-release the last known, stable version of flash until you can work the knots out of your underwear. Thanks.

15. Barry says:

Aah, since I update to Adobe FP 10.1 my Realplayer refuses to play flv files. I’ve had to download a different player, it’s a real pain. I have a macbook using Mac OSX. I’m not happy.

16. Kara says:

Ok, so I also am running windows xp, and I downloaded this update, and I cannot watch my normal shows on full screen…I get a white screen, but you can still hear the show, you just see a white screen. PLEASE FIX!!! I tried to call Adobe support and the man was also in a foreign call center told me I would have to pay $39 to get support!!! Not cool…please find the problem and fix it.

17. vic warner says:

I am having the same problem as Kara. Please send a fix not a request for $39.00

18. Trev says:

I know Android are the up and comming big fish in the market. I can see why poor old Palm’s WEBOS had to wait its turn but webos is the best mobile opperating system, I’ve tried them all, that’s why HP bought Palm. When will webos get Flash 10.1??? Your own deadline of the “first half of 2010″ has passed. I guess you guy’s are as feb up of dealing with this question as we webos users are of asking it. Any chance of a straight answer

19. sam says:

I also would like to know when webos will get flashplayer 10.1. It sucks that the pixi has been out for over a year and the android system gets all the attention. Webos is a much better operating system in my opinion.

20. jon says:

Well I hate to add to it but since adobe insisted on upgrading , my full screen goes white on syfy.com . I think there should be a solution until it’s fixed like what someone previously said an older version that works . Cmon Adobe help us out !

21. Dr. Blues says:

I am also wondering and waiting impatiently for the release of flash player for webos. Can you please post an update on the status of the release?

22. bizee1 says:

Hiya..

I have the same problem as :
    [quote]By Suzie Stewart – 6:23 AM on June 26, 2010 Reply
    Adobe Flash Plugin crashes every time I use it on Facebook. I send the crash report, have done this for the last two days…no improvement. What is the problem and how can it be fixed.[unquote]
    But not only with facebook, but other sites as well.. everything worked fine until i got the “update” notice..Im running WIN XP and I too am very, very fustrated! Is there anyway to go back to the last version that worked?????? Please…HELP!!!

23. sanjay says:

i am not able to watch movies with adobe flash player

24. Muke says:

You say adobe 10.1 is ready for Android 2.2,
    that would be the latest version of the phone, HTC “incredible”.
    I have the the (original) Droid & there are NO FLASH PLAYER DOWNLOADS THAT WORK WITH “DROID 2.0″…. =¢°°°
    I have try Every link, every download site, everything.!! For a cpl of months now…
    Why would you NOT SUPPORT THE #1 SELLNG PHONE IN THE WORLD..??? granted, the new HTC “Incredible” will be the new wave…. What about the 1,000,000 + (original) “DROID” Owners..??
    I am an MCP-MCDST (Microsoft Certified Professional) so I’m not totally illiterate when it comes to O.S. systems & upgrading.
    Looking forward to your update supporting “Droid 2.0″ phones.