A Sneak Peek into Flash Player “Square”

Today we’re making available a preview of Adobe® Flash® Player that we’re calling “Square.” This preview includes support for two new areas, namely enhanced support for Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9 Beta and native 64-bit support for all major desktop operating systems including Linux, Mac, and Windows.

As part of our collaboration with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer team over the past few months, Flash Player “Square” has been enhanced to directly support the hardware-accelerated graphics capabilities in the newest version of IE. Flash Player “Square” leverages the new GPU support available with Internet Explorer 9 Beta to deliver a faster and more responsive user experience. In our internal testing, we’ve seen significant improvements in Flash Player graphics performance – exceeding 35% in Internet Explorer 9 Beta compared to Flash Player running in previous versions of IE. While the performance improvements will vary based on the type of content and how it’s created, bitmap-heavy content for Flash Player will experience the greatest benefit. Content created for Flash Player that’s embedded as transparent (wmode=”transparent”) will also run more efficiently given the benefits of offloading the HTML and Flash content compositing to the GPU. Try it out by downloading the Internet Explorer 9 Beta and the Flash Player “Square” preview. We’d appreciate your feedback and observations on performance.

The community has been very vocal around the need for native 64-bit support and we’ve heard you loud and clear. Today we’re also sharing a refresh of the Linux 64-bit version of Flash Player together with the first preview of both the 64-bit Windows and Mac versions. If you’re using a 64-bit browser, I encourage you to install a 64-bit version of Flash Player and give it try. Those using the previous 64-bit version of Flash Player for Linux should find this new version even faster and more reliable.  These new versions are fully functional, so all content should be compatible. We’ve found “Square” to be stable and ready for broad testing, but keep in mind this a sneak peak and not everything will be fully baked. If you encounter any issues, I’d encourage you to file a bug in our public database so we can investigate.

I hope you enjoy this early preview into some of the areas of focus for the Flash Player team. I encourage you to take the opportunity to try them out and share your feedback with us.

76 Responses to A Sneak Peek into Flash Player “Square”

1. Pingback: Flash Player “Square” With IE9, Native 64-bit Support | Ryan Stewart – Rich Internet Application Mountaineer

2. Kams says:

Awesome. Thank you. Keep up the good work guys.

3. Pingback: Adobe releases “Square” Flash Player with native 64-bit and IE 9 Beta support

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention A Sneak Peek into Flash Player “Square” « Adobe Flash Player Team Blog -- Topsy.com

5. Pingback: Oh wow! 64 bit Flash Player on Adobe labs. | Davey's Flash Blog

6. Mark Bober says:

I wonder if Hulu Plus will stream properly through Hulu Desktop now…

7. Jeff Fall says:

Is there going to be a debug version of this 64 bit Flash Player preview? As a flash dev I can’t do without it. Unfortunately I have been having a lot of problems with the current FP 10 debug player on my 64bit windows 7 box running FireFox.

8. Sounds very exciting, can’t wait to start using it

9. Pingback: Adobe preview 64-bit Flash player and decide to call it ‘Square’ | Gadget Helpline UK: Gadget Advice, Gadget help, Gadget manual, Gadget blog. The UK’s number one gadget support club

10. You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work!

11. Drew Kinney says:

“The community has been very vocal around the need for native 64-bit support and we’ve heard you loud and clear. ”

Does this mean the Mac version of the Flash player will actually be worth the download?

12. Tibi says:

This are great news. Thank you adobe for listening to us.

13. bob says:

are you planning to add gpu acceleration to the linux plugin? it’s nice that you released a 64bit plugin thanks

14. Pest says:

Please add Pulseaudio support!

15. Pingback: Adobe Flash Player Square 64-bit Launched Preview Today | groovyHacks.com

16. Pingback: 64-bit Flash Available Once More

17. Pingback: Adobe begins 64-bit Flash Player test | Technology News

18. Lauren says:

So pleased that 64bit Flash is FINALLY here! I just want to totally ditch 32bit software altogether and move wholeheartedly to 64bit computing.

F I N A L L Y!!!

19. Coşkun OLCA says:

Great News! I’m installing Flash Player “Square” now :))

20. Any word on a version of Square for Solaris? :)

21. Jeroen Bensch says:

Does “Square” render “Gala” obsolete then? In other words, does Square contain everything Gala does/did for Mac?

Also, I second Jeff Fall, there needs to be a debug version of this before we, flash developers, can start using it.

22. Stoffe says:

Pulseaudio, yes please!

23. Julien says:

What about FreeBSD ?

24. flv says:

how about older codecs in flv like sorenson spark ,on2 vp6 ,adpcm & mp3.
    i suspect that these codec have made transition to 64bit codec.

p.s. sorry for my english grammar because it’s not my native language.

25. alex says:

Taking almost all CPU times while watching video on my mac — is it good?

26. my name is totally relevant says:

Hey Adobe!

How about you implement a check-for-updates feature into Flashplayer?

How about you extend Adobe Updater so that it also checks for Flashplayer and Shockwave Player plugins?

And how come you didn’t to so already? [clip]

27. wooptoo says:

Adobe began to be more open lately. I like this.

28. Charlie says:

Where/how can I submit bug reports?

29. zossso says:

Native 64-bit Linux support? This was much needed. Thank you.

30. mario says:

Too little too late. Flashs flakyness on 64 bit systems has already diminished it’s reputation as robust multimedia plattform. I doubt this will regain much market- or developer mindshare.

31. Brian says:

Nice to finally see a 64-bit browser addin. Now I just hope Adobe actually starts to develop with security in mind. Bloody annoying to have to package and deploy new versions every other week due to security holes.

32. jimper says:

Plain end-user here; just wanted to thank you for your work on the linux version of the plug-in. It’s nice to see a major software company supporting my choice of OS. Also, I’m with Bob from a couple of posts up: if you sneak some of that GPU-supported acceleration goodness into the linux version I swear I won’t tell your bosses. Promise!

33. Wayne says:

Will it work with Vista Home Premium 64-bit…and with IE8…and with Firefox? Will we have to have separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions (like Java)?

34. This Guy says:

Just don’t include freaking optional installers in the installer. My users are too dumb to uncheck the box. They then have 40 toolbars on their browser.

35. dude says:

flash sux anyways. html5 ftw!

36. Holland (gavers) Rhodes says:

Yes, yes and yes! I’m using the 64-bit minefield nightly and this finally works. I plan to spend my next 24 hours on z0r.de.

37. Jeff Ward says:

Great to see graphics improvements outside the mobile space, but IE9-only? Hmm…

38. lonic says:

Very Nice!! But unfortunately there isn’t a really notable performance improvement….
    HHUUUGGE BUG here: http://www.aviary.com/online/filter-editor?fguid=a902b9ee-c547-102b-b565-0030488e168c

Compare that to flash player 10.1

39. Joebob says:

Oooah, GPU acceleration for Internet Explorer. That’s great, except that Internet Explorer sucks and is a pain to use. I would consider GPU acceleration in other browsers like Firefox and Chrome to be a higher priority, since they are cross platform and better and more useable in every possible way.

40. I’ve really been looking forward to 64bit linux support for a long time! Thanks guys :)

41. Brian G says:

Is it bad that the chief reason I want to download this is just because I don’t have to spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to download it without the insufferable Download Manager?

42. No thanks HTML5 is already my choice. Thanks for trying but too little too late. FREEDOM FOREVER!

43. Jason E. says:

It’s about time! Do you have a final release date yet?

44. linuxluvr says:

VDPAU/GPU accel on Linux? Otherwise Flash video plays like crap at 720p+

45. Benxamin says:

So I can get Flash in Safari now?

46. Lance says:

Any chance it will finally support multipule monitors? I hate not being able to watch full-screen on a secondary monitor without an out of date hack.

47. CGGGwydion says:

Interesting to see the direction Adobe hopes the rest will also decide upon. I hope Adobe beats Apples narrow minded view on things…

48. Chris says:

Still tearing on linux… sigh…

Although it has improved in terms of sysload, so thats something…

49. Dio says:

I’d be more impressed if the link to the Mac OS X uninstaller resolved.

50. Jonas says:

When i first heard the news i thought “yay great, finally”….but everytime i want to visit a flash site in the new Internet Explorer 9 Beta it (the site) crashes. I tested it on several computers, everywhere the same thing =/ . When i disable the new flash player add-on everything works just great.
    Im very disappointed. :(

51. Emil says:

I still feel like you are lagging behind Unity. Their code is 60 times faster and has hardware support. A 0.35 performance boost in ONE browser is really nothing.

What happened? You were pushing the limits of the internet, now you’re lagging behind.

52. vidcom says:

I cant start this square activeX on my 64 bit Windows 7. I install it correctly. In IE 9 Beta in add-on section i see correct information about plugin. But when I open for example http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to see is it really works it crashes my browser. What could be a reason?
    I have also a problem adding .dll shiped with this ActiveX to my Visual Studio project. Is it possible to use .dll API in this release?

53. comnut says:

yeah I dont use IE, period…. and WHEN will we get flash for SYMBIAN?????

also, I thought it was available on android??? its not for my mates new galaxy S.. or will froyo include it? I would think the flash download page would at least detect android and mention it…

54. mbi says:

my cpu playing video at 0 % usage and if it heavy it raise to range 10 on the 32 bit was 1172 % on 32 bit wow

55. Sharl says:

it DO NOT work for ie 9 beta 64bit on my win server 08 r2 system.why?

56. john says:

Flash should be axed. Security flaw after security flaw. But mostly because it CONSTANTLY causes my computer to crash when playing video. I really hate it.

This is my constructive criticism.

Include anything useful Adobe has to offer in the open web standards.

57. frank says:

This new flash is way to buggy. I cant play any flash games on FB it uses 100% cpu and the games go super slow to a crawl to freeze. reverting back to 10.1 till that is fixed. i have win 7 and ie9 32bit browser, does the same on the 64bit browser as well.

58. Marco says:

Only reason Adobe released 64 bit flash as HTML 5 will kill Flash… Flash is a joke..

59. Thanks, Flash team! I’ve been waiting for real hardware accelerated playback for a long time.

To those posting complaints about it not working, it’s a preview release for goodness sake. If you find a problem, try http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/

60. Walt says:

Brilliant!

I have 64-bit Linux with dual monitors, and I can finally play videos full-screen on one of them at good framerates without getting garbage on the second monitor.

61. n.rama says:

Today, after some months being in the dark, so to speak, I am able to view youtube and such. Thanks to SQUARE which easily installed in Ubuntu 10.04 . Works a treat.. Thank you so much for the

62. nocturnal YL says:

Good news: Finally, 64-bit Flash Player!!

Bad news: My browser (Opera) is not doing anything at all to adopt 64-bit natively. Well, I still have IE to test on.

Now I wish I can see the standalone Player in 64-bit. I use it just as frequent as the Web Player.

63. Jay says:

Please add Pulseaudio support for Flash Player Square

64. useful information thank

65. Moritz says:

Looks promising the 64 bit plugin. Runs smoothly.

But missing video acceleration on linux could be easily added:

Just use the VA API and you will see all video card manufactors will support their backends for VA API faster than you think.
    Atm not all cards are supported but its the most general API and having flash video acceleration is one of the current problems in using linux desktops if you need youtube etc.

66. WebDesign63 says:

I like the flash player features. Very good tool and very good supportive information

67. Finally! This is an intelligent more. Flash performance should improve a lot if 64 bit support is implemented properly.

68. sjakub says:

Thanks! I was really upset about having to use nspluginwrapper again…
    Hurrah to native 64 bit :)

69. Chat says:

Hoep the 64-bit Plugin will work fine as i got much problems with windows 7 and 64 bit plugins.

70. Kamagra says:

Finally i can use the 64 Bit Plugin and proper good results when watching films on two monitors. Not like before where i just got Crap on the second one.

Yeaha ;) thanks alot.

71. Bill Brasky says:

Hey, where’s the 64-bit content debugger versions?

72. leo Smith says:

Well it breaks about 30% of the sites with flash..that used to play on the older plugins

Firefox 3.6.8, Debian Linux AM64..

When it works, it works well.
    When it doesn’t, its a frozen screen.