Adobe AIR 2.6 for Android is now available!

Adobe is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Adobe AIR 2.6 for Android smartphones and tablets.  AIR 2.6 for Android adds support for Android 3.0 and the latest Android tablet devices – including the Motorola Xoom – as well as improvements to performance and GPU-based rendering, updated Android gesture support, and improved handling of HTML content within AIR apps.

AIR 2.6 for Android provides the foundation for the new Content Viewer for Android, part of Digital Publishing Suite.  Content Viewer for Android uses AIR 2.6 to enable publishers to author immersive, engaging publications and deploy content across platforms and different devices.  Major publishers using Digital Publishing Suite are on board to create and distribute content using Content Viewer for Android.  Condé Nast, National Geographic and Dennis Publishing are among the first publishers to indicate they will use this new viewer to amplify the reach of their iconic titles.

AIR 2.6 for Android can be downloaded from the Android Marketplace and is available on devices running:

• Android 2.2 (FroYo)
  • Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
  • Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)

A list of mobile devices that meet the AIR system requirements can be found at http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/certified_devices/.

AIR 2.6 for Android performance improvements include:

• Up to 20% faster scrolling performance
  • H.264 video decoding at 30fps
  • GPU-based animation and games at up to 50FPS

AIR 2.6 for Android functional improvements include:

• Support for the latest Android system gestures
  • Bitmap Capture for StageWebView, which provides tighter visual integration between Flash and HTML content
  • Asynchronous Bitmap Decoding, which improves the performance of transitions in image-intensive applications

Applications developed with the Adobe AIR 2.5 SDK are compatible with the Adobe AIR 2.6 runtime.  Adobe is on target to deliver the AIR 2.6 SDK and desktop runtime before the 2nd half of 2011.

Update 02/25/2011 6:10PM PST

Motorola Xoom users who are using the Restore Applications feature of Android to transfer their content and apps – including the AIR and Flash Player runtimes – from a different Android device may experience the following as AIR 2.5 and Flash Player 10.1 are not supported on Android 3.0:

• AIR apps are not able to launch. To resolve this, please go to Android Market, search for Adobe AIR, and select ‘update’ to upgrade to AIR 2.6. You won’t need to update or re-download your existing set of apps unless there is an update to the app itself.
  • Content developed for Flash Player will not display in the browser. Flash Player 10.2 with Stage Video and other new performance features will support Android 3.0 and address this. The runtime will be preinstalled on some devices or provided via OTA download for others like the Motorola Xoom within a few weeks of device availability.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Learn

* How to publish your AIR application to the Android Market

* Learn how to get started building applications and content for mobile and devices

Develop

* Tell us about your AIR app for Android after you’ve posted to the Android Market at air-android-apps@adobe.com

59 Responses to Adobe AIR 2.6 for Android is now available!

1. Sunny Singh says:

I assume this isn’t available to the devices that can’t support Flash due to hardware? (ARM6)

2. Sunny Singh says:

3. Sunny Singh says:

4. ben farrell says:

Are the performance improvements you list only in AIR? Or are they generally Flash improvements we’ll see in something like a Flash 10.2 build?

5. ben farrell says:

6. ben farrell says:

7. polaco says:

I have the sensation that performs slower than the previous version. I have a milestone 2. An example of this is the flex for android tour. The lists seems to scroll slower. Maybe it’s just me.

8. polaco says:

9. polaco says:

10. Great Great!!

Thanks Adobe

11. Great Great!!

Thanks Adobe

12. Great Great!!

Thanks Adobe

13. Ain Tohvri says:

@Polaco: evaluating performance is always tricky and I’d say the 20% change is really something that is rather hard to tell.

14. Ain Tohvri says:

15. Ain Tohvri says:

16. Alex Fisherr says:

Hi All,
    It might sound very odd but every time I’ve tried to download adobe air on my android device, i don’t find it at android market.

I’m having htc wildfire with android version of 2.2.1 and software number of 2.22.405.1.

I tried downloading tour de flex mobile from marketplace and when installing it, it asked for adobe air. I allowed the download but was only presented with the message “The requested item could not be found.”

Could anyone guide me what am I doing wrong or is there any issue with my phone’s OS ?

Thanks

17. Alex Fisherr says:

Hi All,

Thanks

18. Alex Fisherr says:

Hi All,

Thanks

19. Rafael Vieira says:

This one, open a a lot of possibilities to develop applications for android!
    It’s great because the Android Language is a kind terrible to write, I prefer ActionScript than Java is mote interesting!!

Thank’s ADOBE

20. Rafael Vieira says:

This one, open a a lot of possibilities to develop applications for android!

Thank’s ADOBE

21. Rafael Vieira says:

This one, open a a lot of possibilities to develop applications for android!

Thank’s ADOBE

22. Ken says:

I’m developing an Adobe Air help system in Robohelp. Is there a way to save that as an Android app?

23. Ken says:

24. Ken says:

25. Kshitiz Gupta says:

@ Alex Fisherr
    HTC Wildfire has an arm6 processor. AIR isn’t available to arm6 devices.

26. Kshitiz Gupta says:

@ Alex Fisherr
    HTC Wildfire has an arm6 processor. AIR isn’t available to arm6 devices.

27. Kshitiz Gupta says:

@ Alex Fisherr
    HTC Wildfire has an arm6 processor. AIR isn’t available to arm6 devices.

28. Marco says:

Hi,
    i love air for android,i have a app build with flex hero, but after the air update to 2.6 i have scroll performance problems like “tour de mobile flex” but there app runs great after a update today..

is there any chance to get a documentation what i must change to run smooth from.

thx for the help sorry for my bad english and go on

29. Marco says:

Hi,

thx for the help sorry for my bad english and go on

30. Marco says:

Hi,

thx for the help sorry for my bad english and go on

31. JUN says:

Flash Access Does not it support?

32. JUN says:

Flash Access Does not it support?

33. JUN says:

Flash Access Does not it support?

34. Help! We put an AIR 2.6 app into the Android Market. Users are complaining that the Market says the app needs to be updated, even right after they install it and they have the latest version. Is it possible this is a problem related to the AIR 2.6 runtime?

35. Help! We put an AIR 2.6 app into the Android Market. Users are complaining that the Market says the app needs to be updated, even right after they install it and they have the latest version. Is it possible this is a problem related to the AIR 2.6 runtime?

36. Help! We put an AIR 2.6 app into the Android Market. Users are complaining that the Market says the app needs to be updated, even right after they install it and they have the latest version. Is it possible this is a problem related to the AIR 2.6 runtime?

37. Benay says:

We update adobe air 2.5 to 2.6 after this our application not showing virtual keyboard properly (its not showing when I tap on textinput most of the time) but it was working perfectly previously. Any one faced same like me? If yes can you tell me how you solved this? or Its an air 2.6 build problem? Thanks in advance!

38. Benay says:

39. Benay says:

40. lincoln says:

Me too..

After the update, the application is not showing virtual keyboard (was working on 2.5). How to solve?

41. lincoln says:

Me too..

42. lincoln says:

Me too..

43. kripa says:

Adobe is not available in the Android Market… none of the adobe apps are working in my Dell XCD35… please help… need imm support

44. kripa says:

45. kripa says:

46. johny cage says:

application for android (developed with flash builder burrito) not showing virtual keyboard when text input is clicked (focused). Air version is 2.6

47. johny cage says:

48. johny cage says:

49. Jayden says:

I have noticed my apps virtual keyboard also doesn’t work on a TextInput after the 2.6 update.
    Any explanation / fix for that out there, its really put me under fire.

50. Steve says:

I tried to send an email to air-android-apps@adobe.com but the email bounced. My AIR Android app (MATHO) has been listed as a Featured app on the Android Market for about a week. Thanks Adobe!

51. Dan says:

I’ve created an app using Adobe Catalyst, i’ve then copied the file onto the Android Xoom. I’ve already installed Flash 10.2 and Adobe Air 2.6.

Unfortunately, when i try to install the app, it just says the ‘air’ file extension is not recognised.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

52. mola says:

I want to develop Apps using air but my market is too small because of the large app size of Air App and limited space on many Android phones. I have followed the guide at the below link and Air installs to SD fine and works great so why not allow it? Don’t force people to use ADB and Android SDK to get air to SD. Same applies to Flash app. Come on Adobe, you can do it!

53. Chris says:

The text input is broken on Android, for Flash AND air apps.

Please fix this… it’s been over two months since the first comment about it. You are driving people away from the Flash platform every second this remains unfixed.

54. wael says:

I can’t fix adobe air in my smart phone htc android 2.2
    Pls.advice

55. Raj ANT says:

Im using LG Optimus One 600MHz Android 2.2 mobile.
    Is Adobe AIR compatible with my device? coz I could not find the air on android market via my mobile.
    If not,
    Is there any other way to run air applications?

56. Pradeep says:

Hi,

I want to develop some free apps for android devices.
    Also want to use Google free advertisements on these apps can any body please let me know how I can implement this.

I will use Flash Builder 4.5 or Flash 2.6 for this

Thanks

57. Amit says:

I bought a samsung i5510 with 667Mhz processor and android 2.2. Expecting the air and flash player will be compatible with this.

ADOBE: Any plan to make air compatible to these devices.

58. Argyris says:

Hello,

Please try our new adobe air game for android :

url : https://market.android.com/details?id=air.SuperDealGame&feature=search_result

Thanks,