Adobe AIR 2.6 SDK now available with enhanced iOS support!

Adobe is pleased to announce the availability of the Adobe® AIR® 2.6 SDK and AIR® 2.6 desktop runtimes for Windows, Mac and Linux. With AIR 2.6, AIR achieves feature parity for Android and iOS platforms. This new release provides major performance and feature enhancements for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) app development as well as updates for Android and desktop app development.

The AIR 2.6 for Android runtime was released on February 25, 2011, to the Android Market to support the Content Viewer for Android and announcement of Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite , and new Android tablets running on Android 3.0. Currently over 1,900 AIR applications for Android are available in the Android Market.

“Adobe AIR 2.6 enables me to develop once and publish across multiple platforms. There are slight tweaks required for each platform (Android vs iOS) but we’re talking about a few minutes not weeks. The majority of the optimizations revolve around screen sizes which would be an issue regardless of the development tool. If I were targeting Android and iOS natively vs Adobe AIR I would expect my costs to be at least 80% higher; and much closer to 100 – 150% higher should maintenance and updates be required for each platform.”

-Charlie Schulze, President and co-founder, Woven Interactive, LLC

Video: Watch Charlie Schulze’s demo of “Comb Over Charlie” a multiscreen app (Android and iOS smartphones, tablets and Windows laptop) developed using AIR.

New Features in AIR 2.6 for iOS and Android

AIR for iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad)

“I’m now getting 60 fps on an iPhone 3GS, it’s smoother than Packager for iPhone too!”

-Kevin Newman, Senior Developer, adcSTUDIO

“My project uses things like vector graphics, blend modes, and filters. In the past, many effects needed to be removed or altered for iOS to achieve decent performance. This gargantuan improvement means that I can now use the same project to target both iOS and Android. It’s likely to save me many hours of time previously spent on optimization.”

-Josh Tynjala, Founder, Bowler Hat Games

• Updated AIR for iOS support with improved performance. Developers can take advantage of new features in iOS 4 like multitasking, Retina display support for higher screen resolutions, and front and back camera support. Developers can now build applications that capture audio with microphone support and take advantage of the same graphics hardware method used in AIR for Android using OpenGL ES 2 for high performance graphics.
  • Packager for iPhone (PFI) is now replaced with functionality integrated with AIR Developer Tool (ADT) a command-line tool for compiling applications in the AIR SDK. ADT can now be used to package AIR files, native desktop installers, AIR applications for Android and iOS.

Video: Learn more about what’s new in AIR 2.6 for iOS in this short video with Ryan Stewart, Senior Technical Evangelist.

AIR for Android

“I was blown away with how much AIR has grown in API support for Android and iOS as well as the improvements in speed. This is just amazing.”

-Boz Bundalo, Creative Director / Chief Technology Officer, Republic Project

• Submit apps to be included in the Amazon Appstore for Android when the store launches.  Companies now have an additional distribution option with one of the largest online shopping destinations on the web. Learn more in Christian Cantrell’s blog post “AIR 2.6 Applications and the Amazon Appstore for Android”.
  • USB debugging was added as an additional debugging option to WiFi. Learn more about AIR 2.6 features for mobile and desktop please read Scott Castle’s article“What’s new in AIR 2.6″.

Links and Resources

Video: Learn more about the business benefits of deploying Adobe AIR apps for a wide range of devices such as smartphones, tablets, TVs and desktop with Ryan Stewart.

Learn more about selling your apps in the Amazon Appstore Developer Portal.

Downloads: AIR 2.6 SDK and AIR 2.6 Desktop Runtime

42 Responses to Adobe AIR 2.6 SDK now available with enhanced iOS support!

1. James says:

How can I install AIR 2.6 SDK on my computer to work with Flash CS5?

2. James says:

How can I install AIR 2.6 SDK on my computer to work with Flash CS5?

3. James says:

How can I install AIR 2.6 SDK on my computer to work with Flash CS5?

4. Nimrod says:

Where can I download the new SDK ?

5. Nimrod says:

Where can I download the new SDK ?

6. Nimrod says:

Where can I download the new SDK ?

7. Manu says:

It´s possible installed on Flash Builder “Burrito”?
    Thanks

8. Manu says:

It´s possible installed on Flash Builder “Burrito”?
    Thanks

9. Manu says:

It´s possible installed on Flash Builder “Burrito”?
    Thanks

10. amicheaux says:

anyone else getting this error when trying to debug with flash builder burrito and AIR 2.6 sdk “com.adobe.air.apk.APKPackager.setDebugHost(Ljava/lang/String;)V”

11. amicheaux says:

12. amicheaux says:

13. max says:

What is your position in terms of developing the Desktop Air line? I see alot of effort going into mobile development but the Desktop seems, to me, left behind.

14. max says:

15. max says:

16. Vanquish says:

I’d like to know too how to upgrade Flash CS5 to support Air 2.6 for Desktop and Android

17. Vanquish says:

18. Vanquish says:

19. Lawrie says:

I’d also like to know how to set up Flash Pro CS5 to compile to Air 2.6. If it is possible, I’d love a step by step guide.

20. Lawrie says:

21. Lawrie says:

22. Great news, hope the features DO actually work.

23. Great news, hope the features DO actually work.

24. Great news, hope the features DO actually work.

25. Chris says:

I’m also wondering what’s going on with CS5 and AIR 2.6 support?

I found a work around, but it’s not ideal. Can we expect an extension to add support? Or is this going to be a feature in the newer version of Flash and if so, when will that be available?

26. Chris says:

I’m also wondering what’s going on with CS5 and AIR 2.6 support?

27. Chris says:

I’m also wondering what’s going on with CS5 and AIR 2.6 support?

28. Geoffrey says:

released over 3 weeks ago and still no Flash Professional CS5 update. truly unbelievable!

29. Geoffrey says:

30. Geoffrey says:

31. Geoffrey says:

ah… please ignore my previous post. i see the update is coming with the CS 5.5 mid-cycle release. makes cents ;)

32. Geoffrey says:

33. Geoffrey says:

34. VC says:

WOW, So much sizzle but without the main beef – as in **no** AIR SQLite full-text-search !
    WHAT A SHAME!
    It has been available in SQLite for the past 4 YEARS and all Adobe has to do is compile it in and integrate it.
    WHAT A SHAME THAT NOBODY GOT YET FIRED OVER THIS!

35. Aslan says:

36. Pedro says:

We want .wav playback support. Why can’t you guys just implement it? We need PCM playback for a lot of good reasons. Flash can do it (indirectly) so why not give air a directplay method of wave sound files?

37. Ben says:

This is great. Thanks for making things easier.

38. Aamir Maniar says:

Is there going to be a support for Windows Phone as well/

http://www.technobits.net – Always remain technically updated.

39. Bernard Farrell says:

While I appreciate the importance of mobile OS support for AIR, what about supporting widely deployed legacy OSes? I’m leading development of a UI product that’s used by 1000s of companies, we’d love to do the next gen version using Flex but there’s no support for: AIX; HP-UX; Solaris; etc. Any plans to add any of these?

40. Hi,
    This is very great achievement by the Adobe and i am personally congratulate to all team of Adobe AIR.

Now timer is come for all Flex developers (including me) to make awesome application for smart devices.

Thanks

41. enrique alfaro says:

yo propongo q agamos un alto ala discriminacion
    y la pobresa y hubiera mas oportunidades de trabajo
    y se acabaria toda la pobresa y la descriminacion biene de los amigos
    por que ellos se disen cosas y lo quieren aser higual con nosotros pero nada de seo pasaria si le ponemos un lato