Correction regarding hardware acceleration of Flash Player on Mac OS X Lion

We saw that there were some questions today related to Flash Player 10.3 support for Mac OS X Lion (10.7) related to hardware video acceleration. To avoid any more confusion, we wanted to clarify:

The final release of Mac OS X Lion (10.7) provides the same support for Flash hardware video acceleration as Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6).  The previous “Known Issue” described in a tech note suggesting that video hardware acceleration was disabled in Lion was incorrect and based on tests with a pre-release version of Mac OS X Lion that related to only one particular Mac GPU configuration.  We continue to work closely with Apple to provide Flash Player users with a high quality experience on Mac computers.

23 Responses to Correction regarding hardware acceleration of Flash Player on Mac OS X Lion

1. Pingback: Adobe Retracts Claim Suggesting Lion May Lack Support for Flash Hardware Acceleration | Freeit4less.com

2. Pingback: Adobe Retracts Claim Suggesting Lion May Lack Support for Flash Hardware Acceleration « nybp1

3. kofster says:

Why wasn’t this info sent to other media because the world feels as if Apple is deliberately trying to sabotage your products. I happened to this in a simple Google search because even 360p content was mashing up my macBook Air, even bringing the computer to a halt and I remembered reading that Apple had disabled hardware acceleration for the Mac on Lion. Please, seeing that you seem to know what is happening and it is discovered that it is NOT apple disabling hardware acceleration and the support is the same as in their previous iterations of the OS, it would be very nice instead of simply keeping this info buried in a blog, please get the info out there.
    Because think of appearances: this blog was written on July 21st and it is the 22nd and I am the first person responding to it.

• Jerry Cvek says:

I am most unhappy with this Lion OS X lion. I had the Flash Player of jIB JaB.com of this land I paid for back in 2005. The lion has now destroyed that & I am mad I all so am most up set that the Computer do not read items of emails I high light in Blue. I am some what disabled. I depend on the spelling fixing I have used in the Mac computers for years. That now do not work right. When I use the edit to fix a miss spelled word, the computer lots of times deletes the full emails. The Speech use to work perfectly. That has not worked properly since 2009 with one of the upgrades back in 2009. Mac has the most rotten soft where for there computers & yet apple has the IPad & IPod’. what the hell is going on? I am so up set I am going to Windows. Mac do not know any thing. they are the worst.

4. Romeo Copaciu says:

@kofster “the world feels as if Apple is deliberately trying to sabotage your products”. I think that is the correct feeling to have. Maybe not in this instance but … That skinny guy at Apple said a lot of things about the flash player that were not true and mixed that with some things that were true to gain the trust of people that had no idea what he was talking about.

5. tetek says:

I use your products for about 4 years. As long as Mac. And your products are the only one which have problems with theirs existence. And working. Your strategy for updating sucks. Lion was in beta for almost half of the year and now when it’s out in wild you wake up and scream: “it’a Apple fault. They are the ones which released new system”. I don’t understand it. Especially that for example MS Office 2011 works great. You are doing something wrong. Private API? Hooks? I don’t know, but your software sucks and it’s worse with every release (more hooks?). And no – “buy new version” isn’t the best deal for me. I use CS4 and it’s enough for me. I bought it and I want it to work like every two year old software that I had bought. Do once something right for god sake!

• susan mcgill says:

Right on damn it we pay good money for things while people screw us in the a__, just like the government, really pisses me off and I feel we have no control over anything…..It is our right to be treated fairly I don’t care who it is…..Susan

6. stephen says:

I am looking at swapping to apple and these kinds of confusions keep me firmly in the pc camp. If I was Apple, id be having a strong word with Adobe (not that Adobe care I guess)

7. Jack says:

So in other words it will continue to run like garbage, crashing my browser and melting my CPU. Take some responsibility for your product experience, Adobe. For now, I’ll be switching from Chrome (which has Flash baked in) to Safari so I can avoid the perils of your proprietary plugin.

8. Pingback: Lion disables Flash Player hardware acceleration (and other Adobe goodies) (update: Adobe retracts) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

9. Alex says:

super

10. Pingback: Adobe issues ‘??Correction regarding hardware acceleration of Flash Player on Mac OS X Lion’ - Veletech

11. Pingback: Adobe issues ‘Correction regarding hardware acceleration of Flash Player on Mac OS X Lion’ | iPhone Blog Site

12. Mark says:

You said, “to avoid any confusion we wanted to clarify.” I think you meant, “to correct the record we wanted to retract our incorrect statement.”

13. Pingback: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Will Adobe apps and other software work? « conradchavez.com | blog

14. Mark says:

Disabling acceleration alone would never bring a MacBook to a halt on a 360p video.

I doubt you’d even notice.

15. susan mcgill says:

Ok I understand about this Mac thing since I loaded it for Lion but my flash isn’t working on paid sites I belong to and it all comes back to you….When will I be able to resume my business using Adobe Flash?????????? This is really frustrating and am not a happy camper…. I truly need some answers as to when…..someone needs to take responsibility on this…. I need a time frame please…..Sincerely, Susan

16. susan mcgill says:

All I know is I pay good money for everything and damn it I want things to work no matter who you are…….this sucks for sure….not happy with everyone blaming everything on everyone…..TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!! Anyone agree with me??????????

17. Johannes says:

The Flash Player is nothing but outrageous. There is no excuse for video playback using Flash to bring the CPU to full load on a three year old Mac after updating to Lion. As was mentioned before, developer versions of Lion have been available for months and every developer except Adobe adapted their software in time. The incorrect statement about hardware acceleration in Lion is sorry, pathetic, and proves a high degree of incompetence. ADOBE SUCKS!

18. Maripierre says:

Je sais pas comment sa marche

19. Jesus Basualdo says:

Thank you for fix the problem u r the best !!! :D

20. Nick says:

Just set up Lion for he first time and the Flash downloaded from the adobe site doesn’t work.

Is here any new version that works with this OS???

If not, when will there be one?

Thank you.