Developers: Game On!

Compelling online games? Check! Pushing the limits of interactive creativity across multiple browsers? Check! For online game developers, Flash is the console of the web for delivering gaming experiences that draw committed gamers.  Adobe’s investment in Flash for both desktop, in-browser gaming as well as apps for mobile and TV (via AIR) is a growing opportunity. We are currently defining new features and an updated gaming roadmap, which we’ll be sharing with you through blog posts, announcements and demos down the road.

In the meantime, if you’re an online game developer, you can continue to use Flash to reach the broadest audience across desktop browsers. To augment developer solutions for gaming, we recently released Stage 3D APIs for Flash Player 11 and AIR 3 for desktop and TV, and the stage is set for an upcoming release of Stage 3D for mobile apps. Given the range of incredible mobile games already under development in prerelease, I’m excited about the opportunity this provides game developers to reach new audiences and deliver unique and immersive 2D and 3D gaming apps.

Speaking of apps, we’re doubling down on AIR, which gives developers the ability to take Flash based content and create apps for multiple mobile marketplaces, including Apple’s App Store, Android Market, Amazon Appstore, and BlackBerry AppWorld. Developers can also deliver AIR apps that run on the recently released Amazon Kindle Fire as well as the Barnes & Noble Color NOOK.

Here are some great examples of a few recent hits powered by Flash and AIR.

Machinarium

Delta Strike

Ben Franklin vs the Dead Coats

La Carrera del Siglo, made with Flare 3D and Stage 3D

As we recently communicated, this updated strategy will narrow our focus and allow Adobe to prioritize development of Flash for advanced gaming online and via mobile apps with AIR. For more information on game development using Flash and AIR, please visit the Adobe Gaming Solutions site.

14 Responses to Developers: Game On!

1. Sean says:

Great news… one thing I would change about the blog, is what you said “Speaking of apps, we’re doubling down on AIR”, which according to the Oxford dictionary Doubling down means and I quote: “to engage in risky behavior, especially when one is already in a dangerous situation.”…..

AIR is awesome, no risk in my book when it’s the ONLY true cross OS development environment with an AMAZING framework and solid developer base.

Sean.

2. Sean says:

And just to add, I think you mean “Doubling down” in the scene of “We are going all out” and I solute Adobe.
    You will make LOTS of money selling Flash and Flex building tools, just make sure you push hard on Marketing so everyone knows just how cool this is and the true potential of Cross OS with AIR, as it may be clouded by “Flash is dead” while it’s VERY much Alive and strong. Keep up the good work Adobe!

3. Sean says:

And one more thing Adobe needs to fix, I just got my Kindle Fire today and it comes with AIR 2.5. So 1/2 of the apps I tried to install did not work. So I figured ok, I will just go install from Amazon, no such luck. AIR on Amazon for Kindle not available.
    So I said, ok, no biggy, I will Side Load it from my APK off my Motorola Atrix, no luck there either as got Certificate error. So I rooted my device, got RW access and over wrote the certs… AIR crashed… So, Adobe please get AIR 3.X on Amazon App store.

4. frogcjn says:

How to publish flash/air/flex content to Mac App Store using Flash Builder 4.6?Special Thanks!

• Flash Platform says:

Hi @frogcjn. At this time, Adobe does not support publishing AIR applications to the Mac App Store.

5. guest says:

Does Adobe support streaming H264 video to AIR for IOS?

6. sarah says:

I need a flash player for my blackberry torch help plz x

7. Adobe has been dramatically changing our gaming experience…I have been working for the past 7 years and I am a proud professional to witness it evolve. I hope it impacts Smartphone and tablets the same way :-)
    Really enjoyed reading!

8. GoaMaster says:

flash rocks, the only thing needed is appropriate training and courses

9. it’s nice to hear good news.

10. Hi Diana,
    Superb blog with the amazing collection. i liked your all game list. it such a amazing and so nice. i’m new to your site but i like it.
    Thanks

11. kim harvey says:

im tryin to play games…. and having trouble

12. Henry says:

I am having trouble publishing my android app to Kindle Fire. I can not find more support than an adobe tv video that shows publishing to androids but it does not work on Kindle which is an android . Help please

13. James says:

Great idea. Yeah, it’s great game on. I wait augment developer solutions for gaming. click to call