Latest Updates on the Flash Runtime

There’s been talk recently on different forums regarding Adobe’s position on the Flash Runtime.  Hopefully some of the work we’re doing and items outlined below will help answer these questions.

First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Chris Campbell and I’m the product manager and customer advocate for the Flash Runtime product team.  I’ve been part of the Flash and AIR teams for the last 4 years and prior to that I worked for 14 years as a developer in our digital imaging group.  Some of you might know me from the forums, where I’ve spent a lot of time working with customers to bring issues to the engineering team.  I’m on Twitter @liquidate but you can also reach me via email at ccampbel@adobe.com.

What have we been up to lately?

Improved Packaging Engine – We’ve made massive improvements to our iOS packaging engine (Halfmoon AOT), with reduced packaging times up to 10x.  This work lays the foundation for future features like iOS workers.  This has been in our beta builds for a while (we try to make these publicly available on a regular basis) and was out in our public AIR 4.0 release.

ActionScript concurrency for Android – We knew this would be a hit with the feedback we received with ActionScript Workers on the desktop so getting this over to mobile was a priority for us.  We had an extended beta for this feature and it made its public appearance in AIR 3.9 with additional fixes based on feedback received in our 4.0 release.

Support for new versions of OSX, Windows, iOS and Android – We know that our developers and users want to use the latest OS’s and browsers.  We have made sure that the Runtime supports these targets and we’re committed to making sure that continues in the future.

Here are just a few of the new features that we’re working on this year –

ActionScript concurrency for iOS – Now that we’re finishing up with the Halfmoon packaging work, the next step is to add support for ActionScript Workers on iOS.  We know this is an important feature and we’re looking forward to starting an extended beta for this later this year.

Improvements to Stage3D – Stage3D was a massive game changer for Flash.  We want to add to this with significant efficiency improvements by supporting multiple render targets.  If you’ve been around for a while, you might remember a previous beta for AGAL2.  We’re picking this up again now that we’ve got support for all supported platforms and we should have something to share later this summer.

PPAPI debugging – A long time request has been the ability to debug Flash content on Google Chrome.  We’ve been working to bring our debugger to the PPAPI platform and we’re almost ready for a beta release.  This required a lot of work under the hood and while we’re there we’re also tackling a nagging Stage3D performance problem.  Progress has been going well and we’re optimistic that we’ll have a solution for our customers.

Game discovery – We know that there are a huge number of games available on the market and it’s hard to get the user’s attention.  We believe we can help.  One of our greatest strengths is the reach of our platform.  Flash Player is installed on over a billion computers!  The AIR shared runtime is installed on 50+ million Android devices!  We’re working to figure out how we can leverage these strengths to improve your app’s success.  Look for details on Adobe GameSpace, Playpanel, GamePreviews, and more in the very near future.

It’s certainly true that we have increased our investments on HTML technologies, but Adobe and the Flash product team are dedicated to pushing the Flash runtime platform forward.  We believe that AIR and Flash Player are excellent solutions for both the video and gaming markets.

While most of Adobe’s marketing and PR activities are focused on the Creative Cloud and Marketing Cloud initiatives, we are working on the following items to help improve our messaging around the Flash Runtime.

• Redesign, refresh and make regular content updates to our game development web site.  We’ll be retiring the gaming.adobe.com microsite and instead updates will be made to our Adobe Developer Connection page found here – http://www.adobe.com/devnet/games.html
  • Create a new Flash Runtime showcase website that allows for easy showcase project submissions by our development community.
  • Reach out to the community and promote their games and usage of Adobe tools through guest blog posts and case studies that we feature on adobe.com.   If you’re interested, please contact me via email.
  • Find additional and creative ways to allow our passionate development community to evangelize the use of Flash Runtime

Finally, in a recent Adobe post there was some confusion regarding PhoneGap and if this product was supplanting or replacing AIR.  This is not the case.  We believe both of these technologies have merit and we recommend developers pick a solution that best suits their project.  For gaming and video related applications, on either the desktop or mobile platforms, we believe the Flash Runtime continues to be a great choice.

82 Responses to Latest Updates on the Flash Runtime

1. I think one of the biggest issues that the community is upset about is that you still display phonegab as the leading crossplatform development solution and flash is left with ” a great choice “. when many of us flash developers have been working with both technologies and NOT the other way around, WE can conclude whats actually best and sentences like “waste of time” have been thrown around…

2. Pedro says:

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the update on Flash runtimes. But I (we) have some questions.

Adobe says Flash is an excellent technology for gaming and video, but there is a big problem with video integration based on Stage3D (starling, feathers, etc.) projects.

Are you going to find a solution to this problem this year?.

Is not this important enough that we can seamlessly integrate video into a technology that should be simple?

Regards

• Phillip Kerman says:

What’s the issue with video? Works for the requirements of a project I’m doing now (with Starling+Feathers)

• you cant use stageVideo with starling and native overlay

• BenLune says:

Sure StageVideo integration is a huge problem. What can I do if I want to get accelerated video in a starling or Feathers project and managing its depth with other components ? Nothing…
          What can I do if I want to use An accelerated video as a texture on an away3d plane ? Nothing…
          I remember, a long time ago, the same problem with Director… We had directToStage parameter then the video was accelerated. The problem was that video had to always on top. A few months later they solved the problem and the video could be like another sprite.
          I’d Adobe to work on that. Flash won’t stay as the best platform for rich media mix and creation if this problem is not solved.
          I wish all the best for this platform and people loving it like me ;-)
          @benLune

• Chris Campbell says:

From reading the comments in the bug report it looks like this is as designed:

“correct, this is not a bug. When using Stage3D, the user must call Context3D.present() to make the stage layer update. There is no independant update of the Stage, Context3D.present() drives the update of both the Stage and the Stage3D layers. This is necessary to achieve high performance. Workarounds include making all the Stage3D invisible and delaying the Context3D creation until you are going to start using it.”

I’ll follow up again this week to see if anything has changed. If anyone has additional bug numbers related to this video issue, please post back so I can make sure we’re covering everything.

• BenLune says:

Thanks you Chris for your answer.
            I agree it might not be bug, it’s a design problem. The problem is that it should be possible to mix texts, pictures and video together in a GPU accelerated context. How is possible to imagine that it’s not possible to display anything GPU accelerated above a video ?
            That philosophy in the deep to the roots a Flash, and before it Director.
            So to me, it’s not a bug, it’s a wrong design which should be great to change. Mainly if Flash is seen officially by Adobe as a high video quality platform. Creating a strong and creative application with videos is not so easy due to this bad limitations.
            @benLune

3. Anton Azarov says:

Thanks Chris!
    This is good news. BTW, about PhoneGap. Would be nice if Adobe will remove PhoneGap as project and merge it with the power of Adobe Air. Just put HTML inside StageWebView and you will receive PhoneGap from Adobe Air ;)

4. Mansour Raad says:

Nice update – but……how relevant it is ? what the focus should have been is on cross compiling Flash/Flex to JS/WebGL and that “new” goodness – My $0.02

• adobe is working on js ports of starling and away3d and feathers – the big problem is that Starling and Away3D somehow relies on webgl – and as long as webgl does not work on mobile or IE 8 9 10 – then flash will still be a better choice. It makes no sense to use webgl just for the sake of “not” using a plugin. The end user still doesnt care if the pixel they see on the screen is rendered by a plugin or a browser or the browsers built in ppapi (Chrome and IE11 built in flash player)

• Maurice Amsellem says:

There is a project at Apache Flex that does exactly that.
      It’s called FlexJS, and allows to output Flex code in either Flash or JS.

5. Thanks for the (formal) update, Chris. This should go some ways to alleviating the fears out there inadvertently caused by the marketing post on PhoneGap enterprise tooling.

I remain a huge proponent of of Flash Player and AIR. I work with these technologies every day. 2014. Working with Flash Player, in the browser, daily. Working with AIR on mobile and on the desktop/server… daily. Most of this work is done in applications which support rich media and video creation, management, and delivery. The platform excels in gaming (of course), and video… but also general app and utility development. This is to say nothing of the incredible workflow established over the past decade. Incredible creativity. Perhaps Adobe could re-visit the strategy of pigeonholing the platform to such a narrow set of targets?

I also work with web standards on a daily basis. this stuff has come a long way obviously… and Adobe is right to want to take advantage of these advances and contribute to moving things forward. There is no question that web standards developers want a better experience. Adobe is enabling this. PhoneGap is one way in which this is being done for mobile. This work is needed… it is welcome… and appreciated.

I teach on PhoneGap. I work with various HTML5 libraries all the time and some of them are very solid. Have you all seen the Phaser HTML5 GDK? Incredible what is now possible in the browser. Does this take away from my work in… or support of… Flash and AIR? Of course not. I’ve ALWAYS believed in choice and balance when it comes to web technologies and see no reason to change my perspective or my daily practice. I do wish that Adobe (as an organization) would realize that this balance is the rue sweet spot.

You have the Flash runtimes platform AND the web standards platform in your domain. The only thing missing is balance. Flash on.

• Awesome reply Joseph –

on thing is religion, hype and of course potential business momentum.

another thing altogether is the end user – and we owe them the best we can give them. if its js css3 webgl canvas as3 haxe xcode java… who cares, really ..!? well too many people care what we choose they care so much it clouds there judgement… “creative clouding of judgement”
      we feel more and more that there is “Adobe” and then there is the flash team set aside like the black sheep – not event talked about being a part of the creative cloud.

i was at a business meeting today at a top10 world brand company – they have decided to boycut flash for what ever reason – which ment that alot of non tech people there have told us, we should stop focusing on building apps with flash because its a dead platform…

we need adobe to come out, and set this straight for all to know. AIR fantastic for apps and phonegap is “a great choice”

• aeltson says:

Joseph you have great comments and I often follow your blog with interest to see the latest and greatest things that you are doing. I work in education too and I have been developing in Flash all the way back to version 2. I have used Flex, Flash/Adobe Media Server, Flash Catalyst and now AIR for tons of projects both in and out of the university–including a fair amount of grant work for mobile apps. I have taught hundreds of students to use these tools and with great passion I have promoted this platform. I still use AIR and find it to be the best solution in many cases. That said, as one Flash Developer to another, I don’t think I can go on much longer.

I think we both know that Adobe is not in the game here. You do lots of work for them so I understand if you are cautious in your comments. I don’t work for them, so I feel like being more candid. I don’t recognize the company anymore. I understand the need to monetize and pursue the winds of technology, but rather than a strong ship with a sure course, Adobe seems rudderless to me. First, Adobe has a communication problem, and for a company selling itself as a Marketing and PR powerhouse this seems very ironic (and would worry me if I was an industry client of theirs). Second, it doesn’t hold to its promises (AS NEXT. . .), and I think that speaks volumes about what is going on inside the company. To be a leader means making hard decisions and then setting a course to follow. When you are a strong leader people may disagree with the decisions, but they at least understand what you are doing. By not keeping its promises and by not communicating well Adobe is displaying a lack of leadership and it makes it difficult, even for its die hard enthusiasts, to continue to support it.

I agree with you too that the Web stack is making great strides forward in its capabilities. Personally I don’t think that it will ever be able to reach its full potential because that is not in the interests of corporations like Apple, but who knows. I do know this, if Adobe is going to swim in these waters it needs to seriously upgrade the type of tools that it is offering. I have tried to bring PhoneGap into my portfolio of tools that I use, but it just is not as good as other tools out there. Frankly, I find myself turning to Titanium and Unity more and more for my mobile work. I find these companies to be better at communication and much more enthusiastic about what they are doing. As a developer it makes it fun again, and I feel like I did in the old days of Flash. I have started teaching these tools already to my students, and soon I will probably turn my back completely on Adobe—and advise my students to do the same. If you would have told me that I would have written these words three years ago I would have said “When hell freezes over.” Well, it must be getting cold down there.

• Chris Campbell says:

Thanks Joseph! I agree that the Runtime is an excellent all purpose solution and this is something I’ll bring to the team for discussion.

• Hendrik says:

Come on, really? So this is the first time you hear about this? And now you’re bringing this to the team? Let me remind you that it was Adobe’s choice to focus on video and gaming and not particularly the choice of the developers.
        Your comment makes me realize that you don’t take us (the community) serious at all.
        Adobe has moved flash to a retirement home, keeping it alive with a ventilator and waiting for the right moment to pull the plug.

• OMA2k says:

Hello Chris. I’m writing from this reply box about the StageVideo bug because the other post where you wrote about it doesn’t have a “Reply” link for some reason.

Even though an Adobe dev wrote here that the behaviour is “As Designed” and we should use context3d.present(), that doesn’t work. The problem is still present even when using that method, so the bug should be reopened, or maybe another one should be opened again, so it gets noticed:

• Santanu Karar says:

[EDIT]

There is the irony in today’s development as mentioned by Philip Thonbo.

The decision makers in company often traps in doubt along with die crying of HTML people in the house that Flash is dead. Go on to HTML5 brother! What HTML5 can’t do but Flash. So decision makers often diluted with the very straight thought is, Adobe put aside Flash (many even no understanding between Flash and AIR obviously) so leave it; go for HTML5 rather which is future proof at this moment.

And a new trendy word came up these days – Responsive UI; its basically doing a design which fits in either resolution – isn’t this 100 years old in Flash/Flex?

The ghost from past also remain haunts – Steve Jobs – and at that moment Adobe’s ‘moves’ to look it like keeping aside Flash, for good; which we all know is a bad PR and we face the damage now everyday in our working life.

6. Ben Leffler says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for addressing the community concerns. I am sincerely hopeful that the intended marketing you have mentioned for Flash/Air will help push what many consider to be the pinnacle of web technology.

I have to admit though, that while your post does provide me some solace as to the technical commitment Adobe intend to show towards the runtime, I just can’t shake the feeling that the kind of marketing being put in place seems a bit short of the mark for what it deserves…

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that Adobe has what 73% of the cross-platform dev community (if a recent poll is to be believed) consider to be the best solution available today in Adobe Air. Being a developer that uses the tech on a daily basis, I can concur with this result beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I am sure that I don’t have to sell the technical marvel that is Adobe Air to you, but it is so good yet it continues to be a source of disappointment that Adobe aren’t attempting to trumpet it to a wider audience and thus increase the size of it’s dev community and thus the user base.

And that – in itself – is the primary source of confusion, fear and concern within the community.

If recent events are anything to go by, it is clear that Adobe Flash/Air has passionate community of developers that go above and beyond to continually champion the tech that we feel deserves more spotlight.

And while – as you admit – the focus of Adobe has shifted in recent years, and your positioning of the runtime has moved towards gaming, the greater amount of spotlight provided to other product portfolio’s in the Adobe stable (especially those that play in the same space that Flash traditionally does) serves to create trepidation within the Air community that the importance Adobe places on the tech has degraded to the point of almost irrelevance.

That is the community’s greatest fear.

7. Thanks Chris, but I think you missed the point a bit:
    “For gaming and video related applications, … the Flash Runtime continues to be a great choice.”

This is true for gaming and ALL OTHER APPS. Flash remains a better and more robust option than PhoneGap. Period.

Whether you’re making a day-timer, an alarm clock, a todo list OR a Game, AIR is the better, more robust, more mature, better option.

This pigeon-holing of AIR, to “Gaming or Video-Related” Apps is a holdover from your Flash Plugin strategy, and makes absolutely no sense in the contect of mobile applications, especially when you look at the power of AIR + Flash CC for building rich interfaces.

What we wish, is that Adobe would just start saying this publically, cause it’s the hard truth. Right now, it seems like you want to push PhoneGap beyond it’s true capabilities. You’re misleading the public at large, into believing it is the preferred tool to build “non-video, non-gaming” apps, and this is just plain false..

• Gary Paluk says:

I fully agree with Shawns points.

• Santanu Karar says:

Very welly pointed Shawn. This always hurts me when Adobe just trying to sell Flash/AIR for gaming and video nowadays. Like they have no idea what else Flash/AIR been doing past several years and what it is good for – Application development. But they sells HTML5 nowadays for that; so lame.

• Chris Campbell says:

Thanks Shawn. I know the Runtime is very successful for multiple use cases. I see great examples of this all of the time. I probably pigeonholed too much in my last paragraph. The reality is more inline with what our road map states:

“This focus does not mean that existing content will no longer run, or that Flash cannot be used for content other than gaming and premium video. However, it does mean that when prioritizing work, gaming and premium video use cases will take priority.”

Either way, I think there are great arguments here to widen our scope a bit and I’ll make sure to bring this to the team.

• rather not say says:

This

8. Gary Paluk says:

Thank you for the response Chris. I had a lot of messages and support from the Flash and Air community regarding my open letter to you . The main topics addressed by developers on my blog, by email and via facebook were:

– The lack of Adobe PR at events and mediocre action to the promotion of Flash and Air platform technologies that should be considered when companies make decisions on web products. Managers are looking for stable platforms and Adobe are not vocal in contesting the general false rhetoric that Flash is a dead technology.
    – The slowdown of feature releases. I understand that Flash and Air are mature technologies, however, developers feel that more can be done to ensure that Flash and Air keep up with mobile and GPU technologies, hopefully these will be fully addressed by AGAL2. Perhaps more technical information about this could clarify what developers can expect.
    – That ASNext being cancelled was considered to be a lack of commitment to the platform. Perhaps outlining in more depth the reasoning behind that would serve to help developer understanding of that decision.
    – Over the last few years, some large gaming companies have moved towards Linux, is there a possibility of Adobe acknowledging that this will increase the Linux user base and reverse their decision on not supporting the Linux platform?
    – General outreach to the developer community, community projects and general dialogue. You have been good enough to provide your email address here, but as well as a games promotion, projects too. I know that my own project, Zest3D would benefit from that.

The announcement that Adobe is committed to the future of the Flash and Air platforms will be great news to many developers. I thank you for your continued work on the products and hope that Adobe address what seems to be a massive lack of PR around its Flash based technologies. We are eagerly awaiting your response on these topics.

Regards

Gary Paluk

• Chris Campbell says:

Thank you Gary. Your open letter was read by many members of our team.

I agree that our marketing could be better. I’d love to hear suggestions on how we can leverage the strength of the community to improve this.

I’ll also work on getting blog posts created that go into technical detail on some of our upcoming feature work.

Work is still being done on the Linux version of Flash Player (PPAPI) and you can expect that to continue. Adobe is also committed to making sure the NPAPI version is updated with security fixes. There are no plans to resurrect the Linux AIR target at this time. However, we worked with Valve recently to make sure that the AIR based movie “Free to Play” was available on SteamOS so there are some options still available depending on the version of AIR required.

9. The kicker to all this, is that AIR is not even that good for “gaming or video” related apps. It faces stiff competition from Unity and Corona on the games front, and it’s video capabilities are quite fragile and don’t work well with Stage3D.

Where you _totally_ have the market cornered, is in the exact area of Genera Purpose Apps, and this is the exact area you have decided to ignore. There is not a single competitor, that offers _remotely_ the power and efficiency of AIR when building these sorts of apps.

10. John says:

I’d like to second (or +1) Shawn Skinner’s comment. AIR has some serious competition for both gaming and video. Its not that you can’t use AIR, but there are equally or more compelling solutions out there that have active support from vendors. Stage3d over StageVideo is a no-go, although it was implemented and then pulled (HUGE issue for my current project). Cross platform general purpose app development is AIR real strong area left.

11. Its not a matter of attracting developers to the flash platform, its clearly a matter of reassuring the decision makers that flash with AIR is on of the best time to market cross platform solution for all purpose apps. then they will again start investing in the platform…

“if you build it, they will come…”

12. crooksy88 says:

@Ben Leffler, @Shawn Skinner I think your comments and sentiments are spot on.
    After reading Chris’s post I have to admit I was left feeling quite numb. We got…
    – An introduction
    – A list of the current developments
    – The creation of a gallery
    – Then quite a feeble comment about how Adobe think AIR is a great choice for video and gaming.
    And this was from the guy who’s in charge of the Flash Runtime and AIR development :(

What I would have liked to hear is something like:
    “I’m in charge of the Flash Runtime and AIR and I LOVE it. I know how great it is. We’re working our ass’s off to keep this platform great and I can assure you there are no plans to slow development down. My colleagues at Adobe believe that PhoneGap has the potential to be a very useful and powerful cross platform solution but we also realise that it’s not there yet. We also realise that AIR is already a very capable solution and know you developers rely on it every day to produce great apps. Rest assured we are working hard to make sure both solutions flourish. ”

Unfortunately I can’t put those words into Chris’s mouth!

13. Rodolphe de Callatay says:

Thank you very much for this update. But I can only agree with the comments above, we need a better communication about the Flash/AIR updates and where Adobe is going with this technology. The lack of communication is the main reason of all the talks on the blog post about PhoneGap vs Air and why this update was needed.

I want to raise a particular point about this lack of communication. In this update you said “Support for new versions of OSX, Windows, iOS and Android”, that is all good but what about Windows Phone support ? There is a request in the bugbase that has been posted in October 2013 and has almost 500 votes now but Adobe has never responded to it. This should not be happening, you need to communicate with the developer community. (And btw I really do hope you’re working on WP support).

I also agree that even if AIR is a really good technology for gaming it is also the best cross platform general purpose app development tool. I’m working everyday with AIR but never have developed a game, I’m only working on complex applications that need to be available on every platforms without the need to be developed in different languages. And AIR is the best at it (and it would be even better if we could target Windows Phone and Linux environments). So please do not focus all the future of AIR development on gaming.

14. George says:

I’m still working on Flash games but my major tasks now HTML5 game framework. Half year before I still strongly support Flash as a platform, now I feel lost and frustrated, browsers works perfectly in some major browsers before, now crash for AS2 legacy games, local shared object stop working, Safari claim Flash as “unsafe”. Honestly I don’t like HTML5/Javascript as well. But the mighty Flash is gone. As long as Adobe stop promoting it, stop resolving problems quickly, we lose ground. Best choice for gaming? Who said that? Who believe that now?

15. Ronnie says:

Unfortunately Adobes response is not what I was looking for.

I will never be able to share what the Flash community has done for me over the years. I was 18, drank too much beer, and was a waster but somehow I ended up on turtleshell.com and thought it was cool and during that 15 years, the community turned me into a professional programmer.

I can never repay that debt to all of the people who shared time with me and I promise that going forward, I will make an effort to help anyone I can in the same spirit wherever I end up.

But for now, with a heavy heart and literally tears in my eyes as I write this. I need to step out of this technology and try to find a way to get back to being a developer. Not wondering if I am going to loose my job next month.. or the month after… or the month after that. I just cannot do it any more. It is making me miserable.

I want to wish everyone all the best in whatever they do, and I hope that one day we might all find a technology that “reminds us of flash” and we will brush shoulders again.

I will see you then :`)

• aeltson says:

Well said. Maybe the best summation of a communities worth and of the meaning of its demise that I have read.

16. Mahron says:

Stage3d needs a hardware upscaling feature really bad. Cause rendering at 1080p isnt cool.

17. Victor says:

So, let’s recap:
    -retire microsite. Ok, so discoverability is zero since the Gaming site was featured on the main menu of adobe.com, shift focus to ADC site. That means just information is hard to find, there is no longer a site which explains the technology at large.

-bugbase, adobe keeps blatantly ignoring serious issues, even when it’s issues which shouldn’t require voting. Only when it’s 100+ votes and harassing PM’s via other channels there is a vague reply and the issue is left unfixed for months

-roadmap always lagging, not much of a roadmap then?

-there is NO marketing promoting AIR as a viable platform. Everything is focused on the status quo, how can anyone expect newcomers to the platform when it’s like this?

-asnext, don’t even get me started

-no passion, adobe’s statements are vague and “corporate speak”, where’s the spirit?

-tooling. flash builder, there won’t be any updates to this as far as I know? ASdoc retired? Spelling errors in compiler version after version. ASC2.0 bugs (ignored in bugbase, I don’t even bother to report anymore)

-improvements. Just the bare minimum is done, just what is absolutely essential. Expect nothing more.

-community is ignored. Questions are not answered (did anyone from adobe reply to your comments on this post? Don’t expect it).

So with the above post, I expect the technology to fade even further. I do follow many aspects of the Flash platform, perhaps mostly of curiosity, and because I was a believer many years ago. But there is not much hope left.

18. Alexander says:

Hello, Chris!

Thank you for sharing the info! There are lots of emotional responses, and I’d like to ask fellow developers in our community to avoid getting too dramatic about such things as cancelled ASNext, support of new platforms, etc. Let’s be realistic. And keeping in count that Adobe has limited development resources allocated for future Flash/AIR development, I suggest these things should be of main priority:

1. Continious up-to-date support for the existing platforms.
    AIR should incorporate any significant changes (like future iOS8+, new Immersive mode in Android 4.4., etc). So, as long as AIR supports Win, Mac, iOS, and Android, it should support all of these OSs properly.

2. Fixing critical bugs.
    The platform is quite stable already, and when I play AIR-based games on iOS device – I don’t experience any glitches. Adobe, please keep it this way.

3. Adding relatively small, but much needed features, specifically gamedev related.
    Fellow devs, let’s stop wasting everybody’s time speaking about ASNext, etc. Let’s approach Adobe with realistic requests. Like adding native WAV files embedding and loading for Sound objects. Or adding native box2d support.

Now let’s get back to work and develop some cool Flash/AIR games (and apps!)!

19. hsantos says:

And what about windows phone/modern ui app export?

The lack of support for windows mobile is the most important problem in my opinion. A crossplataform technology that is no so crossplataform as we could expect…

When we develop in Air we are loosing a growing market share… I only need to dev on others technologies because of the lack of windows support . And I believe I’m not the only one who thinks the same.

Any plans on support windows ui apps export?

20. Donald R. Brown says:

Adobe flash player no longer functions on my computer, although it has prior to now.

21. rosalia says:

Hi Chris, did you address the error “unresponsive plugin” with this update? Iam having this problem for quite sometime now.

22. Manoranjan says:

Hi, this is Manoranjan from North-East India. May I request ADOBE Team to manage ‘Run’ of Top 100 Worldnews which shall Run in a Single Click.
    All The Best To New Generation Homo Sapiens

23. crooksy88 says:

Hi Chris,

Although disappointed with Adobe’s standpoint on Adobe AIR as mentioned above, can I take this opportunity to say a HUGE thank you to you and your team for the work you have done over the years on producing the Flash Runtime and AIR.

We as developers understand the levels of effort and attention required behind the scenes for things to ‘just work’ and with AIR for the most part, this is what we get.

24. HB says:

I’ve got mixed feelings about this letter. While it’s nice to get an official announcement, I find it’s lacking something… the plans for the future of the platform should be bigger IMHO, and I wonder if removing the gaming microsite is really going to be an improvement, I agree with Victor in this matter. Something I’d like to see along these lines is a proper native extensions community, like extensionsforair.com was before being abandoned…

I think what I’d love to have read is some statement that the Flash/AIR development team is getting some extra fundraising.

25. Tufik says:

Is better that Adobe don’t wrote anything of Flash runtime. Each time that i read… “Flash is only for video and games goals” I think, Adobe team is crazy and should sell the code to another company that want to develop this amazing technology… I want to listen to Adobe say…, the objetive of Flash technology is been on all devices, IOS, Android, Windows phone, desktop SO, TV OS, and all browsers….. Convert to Flash technology in the best tool to create any application.

26. Michael Heydon says:

Please, not just “Game discovery” but “App discovery”.

27. branzi says:

I started working with flash and actionscript from the beginning of 1997 .. Flash 1.
    In all these years I have heard everything , starting with “Flash 99% bad ” to ” Flash is dad” a few years ago ……. and yet , despite all these adversities , actionscript has continued to grow become a true language programming with millions of applications of all kinds, NOT just Games & Video.

It’s been 16 years , Flash still exists, thanks to the development (AS2/3) and the release in 2008 of AIR , so Adobe, you finally decide to invest in this technology seriously and take its rightful place in the world of software development, because unfortunately many people still think that it is a game with which to make animations and not a real development environment .
    Maybe starting from the universities … I do not know , but I think that would be enough for a little more investment in the development and brightening up the image, not graphics, but reputation , potential, capabilities and success stories …. million of success stories !

I’m glad to know that the roadmap for Flash / AIR continues, but absolutely do not agree with the decision to add new software to the already large collection of Adobe with the risk of going into competition with a more mature software that would require more attention , speed evolution and investment.

28. It’s nice to see that Adobe still replies to their community. Not as much as the community wants but at least it shows some hope.
    I’ve moved on to Standard Web Technologies but of course I miss the good old days of Flash and Air. After experiencing the pain points of standard web development, I prefer the pain points of working with Adobe. It’s just easier to talk to one company about an specific problem than talking to many.
    But I got the message. Adobe is not giving up on Adobe AIR. Not yet.

29. Joel T. says:

Dear Adobe, I believe most of the Flash developers are more than willing to pay some fee to develop in Flash/AIR as long as Adobe continue to give more support on Flash platform, there are about 3 millions Flash developers all around the world, if Adobe could charge $100/developer/year like what Apple did for iOS developers, Adobe will have $300,000,000.00 (Three hundred millions) a year. I believe this amount should be enough to justify to raise more staff and evangelists for Flash platform.

• Mahron says:

But is the issue really a lack of money ? I have the feeling it is more open vs closed platforms ideology (in a nutshell).

Open/standard is better than closed, I think we can all agree with that, but if open ends up being a pile of crap than i’ll take closed and clean any day.

• Joel T. says:

For a corporate company, they need to measure the ROI on every investment made, they could not simply throwing money on something that doesn’t generate return for long term even though they have the money.

• Santanu Karar says:

I’m ready to give my 100$ a year to Adobe CEO, if he wants it to run the show! Why not, its only a money business in the EOD, so this could be another addition in CC!

• Tekin Tatar says:

We are ready to give money for the runtime as well.

• Arby says:

Uh, excuse me but I already paid for Flash Pro CS5.5 to CS6 upgrade and then a year later I subscribed to creative cloud (which is much more than $100 per year), so what on earth is this nonsense you speak of??

30. Clark says:

I know how to word this now.

The answer to this is I believe what everyone really wants to know. This response reads that Adobe is committed to enhancing and maintaining 2010 investment. It is not actually fully committed to the future of the runtime and in fact, has already been exceeded by Microsoft for 2 years.

• Chris Campbell says:

Hi Clark,

“Does Adobe agree that targeting new Platforms, such as Windows 8 Metro, Windows Phone, or any other future Operating System is going to requirement investment of the like that Adobe is no longer committed to?”

We would not agree with this statement. Instead we need to weigh the benefit and cost of both implementation and the ongoing support for a new (and still relatively small market share) platform and set of devices. Our current test matrix of platforms and browsers is already very expansive, adding platforms/devices is not trivial. If we can make compelling business reasons, we would consider it in the future.

• bwhiting says:

I completely agree, with limited resources you have to be sure the investment is worth while.

I feel the community and Adobe could benefit from a more dynamic/reactive roadmap. As it stands, it get updated slowly with features that most know are coming but are not sure what the priorities are. Bug fixes are essential and a given but its new features that really keep people excited and motivated.

I think if Adobe put forward a list of potential features and got community feedback on them it would do wonders in terms of the relationship. Even if it didn’t have final say on what ended up being implemented it would make folks feel like their view at least was heard.

Imaging you guys upped a list of sweet features i.e.
        Native physics, a big job and would add to the weight of the player but it would open up a new world for game devs.
        Faster Math library with new functions like lerp or smoothstep, could be implemented by your developers in a very quick time but would help resort so much faith in the platform.
        Native video textures, explain why this can/cannot be implemented so folks understand the score.
        Performance increases, there seem to have been a few of these in recent players, so sing about them and keep them coming!
        Any other small features that would be easy and low cost to implement.

Yes there will be folks demanding things left right and centre but if rationale is given along with decisions I am sure people will be on board, If people know what to expect as well as what not to expect then the buzz is kept alive and people stay happy! Give the good people a chance to help shape the future of the platform (at least a teeny bit) and they will love you for it! (think that speech from Gladiator but less killing and more killer features)

Keep up the dialogue!
        b

31. Judah says:

Stop saying, “For gaming and video related applications”.

32. Brian says:

Not sure if there’s been recent news, but moving to support Android x86 devices such as the popular Tab3 could help demonstrate Adobe’s commitment to AIR.

33. Adobe is going the way of Microsoft where Flash is concerned. The treatment of your community is deplorable. This statement is luke warm at best. “For gaming and video related applications” is a 2 year old statement, and if that is so, then please make it so we can seamlessly layer Stage3D with StageVideo. I’ve spent the last 2 years developing a Flex AIR application that runs jumbotrons and video screens at stadiums for the NFL.
    The NFL is a pretty important company and the app isn’t a game or video. Adobe, you need to improve your communication. It’s not that hard. Why not have one website for Flash that has up to date status reports along with a case study gallery. Is that really that difficult? You guys have been pulling your punches since Jobs came out with his anti-Flash slander piece.

34. Santanu Karar says:

Dear Adobe,

I’m willing to pay 100$ year to let us continue development in Flash/AIR; just like I pay to use Photoshop, Flash Builder etc. For me, this could be another addition to CreativeCloud, and I shall happy to pay. I know you also needs revenue generation from any project/product that runs by you. So I’m willing to pay to let me keep developing with this lovely platform/technology.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Santanu Karar

• radu birsan says:

I am also willing to pay for the adobe AIR technology.

• Arby says:

I am NOT.

• Hugo says:

“I will play as advocate of the devil now”:
          At the end of the day, what counts is the money.
          You are not willing to pay, so you think it’s not a good investment but you expect to others (the Adobe) continue to offer without the expected revenue.

You may now can find the answer that you are looking for about the missing commitment from Adobe to this very good platform…

35. John says:

Why will Flash Player not work with Firefox. It crashes in every version that I have tried to use it with.
    Version 27.x and now the latest version 28.0 still crashes. If I reinstall it while Firefox is up and running, it will work UNTIL the browser exits. Once the browser unloads, Flash Player is history again. I have to copy/paste the links I want to see into Chrome (ark! hate it) or Internet Explorer (security risks abound). This is a pain in the neck. I have turned off everything that might even block Flash Player to no avail. I run NoScript, AdFender, and AdBlock all the time. But disabling them all has no effect. Flash Player still crashes Firefox. When the webpage first is accessed, I get to see it for almost 1 second, then CRASH!

• John says:

Forgot to mention I am using Win7 Home Premium, 8 gB ram, on a Gateway desktop premium box
      . sorry about the double post.

36. John says:

37. Hi Chris,

This is my response to Gary’s open letter, your response, and the whole PhoneGap vs. AIR fracas:

38. Zwick says:

I’m tired of this. I’m tired of writing down some long replies. Just three simple sentences:
    Adobe, you suck. You want my money? Do something.

39. Finally some good news.

40. Very good. thanks with share with us!!

41. Rodolpho Nascimento says:

Finally some good news! Does Adobe open your eyes? I hope so…

42. seyfx says:

Hello Chris,

we are waiting a clear explanation about windows phone support.

please…