Google has recently started rolling out an update to Android (OS 5.0 – Lollipop) on select devices. Unfortunately, this operating system upgrade has caused problems with AIR based applications. We are working closely with Google to fix these issues. This blog post describes the currently known problems and workarounds that developers can use for new applications.
Update 12/3/2014: Google has reported that this issue has been fixed with Android 5.0.1! This OTA update is being currently being deployed to devices and we will continue to track the status and welcome your feedback.
We have come across two primary issues
- After updating to Android 5.0, some of the device’s previously installed AIR based applications will disappear
- Users receive the following error message while trying to make an in-app purchase in AIR applications installed on the device
After investigation, it was found that only AIR applications signed using RSA-1024 certificates generated using the ADT tool (in the AIR packager) were affected. Apps signed using RSA-2048 certificates were not impacted.
1024-RSA is the default selected key algorithm used by the Adobe AIR packager , all applications packaged using the default settings are affected.
For existing affected AIR applications, Adobe is working with Google to fix these issues as soon as possible. Because the root problem is within the OS, a fix will be made available by Google in one of their upcoming OTA updates for Android 5.0.
For developers who intend to publish new AIR applications on the Play Store, Adobe is now providing a patched version of the AIR Packager. Using this new packager to create certificates for packaging will ensure that new applications will not be effected by this bug regardless of signature type. Please note that this is a beta version of the packager.
- Download: adt.jar
- Replace the existing adt.jar located in your AIR SDK with this new version of adt.jar
- Mac: /Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7/ eclipse/plugins/ com.adobe.flash.compiler_x.x.x.xxx/AIRSDK/lib
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.7(64 Bit) /eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flash.compiler_x.x.xxxx/AIRSDK/lib
To learn more about packaging AIR applications, please refer to our online documentation.