Video: First look at the next generation Flash Professional

In December, I promised to give you more details about the next generation of Flash Professional, codenamed Hellcat. Our team has been hard at work on this for the past few years, and we’re (finally) ready to show you the proverbial fruits of our labor. Check out this quick tour from from senior product manager Tom Barclay:

As Tom showed you, Hellcat is completely re-engineered, modernizing Flash Pro for the next generation. Here’s a quick recap of just some of the work we’ve done so far:

• 64-bit architecture, native cocoa: modularized, faster, more reliable so you can be more efficient
  • Faster start time, file opening and saving, timeline scrubbing, and more
  • New user interface with light and dark themes, plus support for HiDPI displays (aka MacBook Pro Retina displays).

If you’re a game developer and going to GDC, come visit us to learn more. For everyone else, stay tuned for even more news at Adobe MAX!

Thanks for your support, and ’til next time!

Rich Lee
Sr. Product Marketing Manager

48 Responses to Video: First look at the next generation Flash Professional

1. Zuhr says:

How about the “mantra” of flash aka actionscript ?
    Does it will be a different version with the apache flex?
    or?
    I still confuse, because flex app will now then will has independent output whichs dont rely on flash player.
    Will next gen of Flash still compatible with flex?

and i wish that someday, website created with flash or flex can output both 2 flavor:swf and html version with same exact funcionality and UI.

2. Vic says:

Is this that product you told us not to use and instead go to HTML?

• Murilo says:

Adobe AIR! This is the future ;)

• Ed Vizenor says:

Oh man I hope so. I really do like Air. I hope it takes out Apple and its control over the market in apps. Does anyone know of any AMAZING apps designed with AIR for iPhone? I have not seen any. Thanks

• max troost says:

Ed! there are allot of AIR apps in the appstore. you just don’t know because it’s not advertised. but keep an eye on the “Adobe AIR” facebook page and you will notice that allot of top games are made with Adobe AIR.

this page shows allot of roundups of games Flash Daily IOS

3. Andrew Doll says:

Thank you for sharing this. Can’t wait to see more about the next release.

4. Lorenzo Peynado says:

thanks and more power!!! happy easter!!!

5. Does these “cocoa” modifications mean Flash Pro is only improved for Mac users?

6. Yordan says:

We are looking forward to see the great returning of Flash to the mobile platforms as well.

7. Bharat Patel says:

Looking forward to see the more great features of Flash platform with Hellcat. :)

8. sanjeev says:

any change code editor like we have in flex IDE???

9. Andrew Hadlington says:

What’s going on Adobe? Why on earth would we be interested in a new super-fast version of Flash when you keep telling us to go HTML5? This company confuses me …

• Ed Vizenor says:

I don’t believe Adboe ever said that. It may have been hinted if you want to have flash run in moblie browsers then go to HTML5 but not for Flash Apps or the desktop/laptop computers. FLASH is king for what you can do still. HTML5 has a long way to catch up.

• Charliman says:

In my opinion is very easy to relaunch flash platform as its best times (very easy to say not to do):

1.Free completely the flash technologie. Let other companies develop tools like flash cs6.

2. Adobe just have to manage to include flash player in Iphone.

it they resolve these two points we´ll se how the flash platform rises again. Come on! we all know that the announced death of flash is going veeery slow becouse such a things like browsers versions, etc….

They still have time to rewind this situation. I´m a flash programmer/designer for 13 years and I´ve move (as many others) to html, jquery, etc.,etc…and It´s soooo frustrating not to have a developing tool such flash pro…move from flash pro to editplus is veeery frustrating (You´ll understand me when I say Edge sucks).

It´s not too late!

• Greg says:

“FLASH is king…”
        But it doesn’t really matter if all the clients (who know nothing of features) now say, “Yeah, let’s do this in HTML to be safe.” All they care about is, “can everyone see it?” If the answer is Yes for HTML and No for Flash, they choose HTML and let the developer worry about how to make the magic happen.

• Matt says:

HTML is great for web, not so much at delivering cross platform apps. I can make a windows app, mac app, ios app, and android app all using a fluid UI and same code base. Right now for me, it is the most re-usable solution to get my software out.

The trend is that native apps are used more than their web counterparts because they can do more. Take for example using sensors, tapping into shared intents on android and many more. Maybe Flash for web is fading but the technology is still enabling a lot of other applications.

10. xxboonexx says:

I just hope they finally fix the auto-complete issues in the AS window. So frustrating! Another thing how about snapping anything dropped onto the stage to whole pixel values, this would save me hours every week.

• Jan Kaderabek says:

Flash Pro is not the tool for coding – use Flash Builder or FlashDevelop. I really recommend the second one.

11. Rackdoll says:

So the Main new feature is that it opens quickly ? >.>
    Thats pretty exciting…

12. Thomas says:

Will it have a rip off pricing mod also? When are moving to html5?

13. i wish for the advance code editor for the new Flash :)

14. Murilo says:

Mobile Components?

• Matt says:

I sure hope so. Components is one of my biggest gripes for developing mobile apps with air. A fast customizable scrolling list just an example of what is needed.

15. Chris says:

I’d only go back to Flash Pro, if it had an IDE on the level of Flash Builder, but then again, I really do not trust Adobe at all when it comes to Flash, let alone Android, since there’s a clear biased towards iOS — which makes me a fool for continuing any investment in AIR.

With Flash Pro’s new interface and overall improvements and options like Scout, can I really trust Adobe to continue supporting its AS3 community? You guys are throwing out so many mixed messages these days; updates to Flash and Scout, and then stark contrasts like moving Thibault Imbert to HTML/JS… WTF?! You guys are coming off very much like Microsoft these days and that’s not a a good thing.

And what about Flash Builder? Will it be getting this sort of love? I know it’s built on Eclipse, but its GUI is feeling dated and can be a tid-bit slow at times. I really like Eclipse, I know it well, but I’d like something more like InteliJ JetBrains, which is really fast and just overal a much nicer IDE; I’m about to jump ship to it and Haxe/NME if Adobe doesn’t clear up its ambiguity when it comes to the Flash platform.

16. Mark says:

Great to see flash improving and moving forward in a strong way. My only gripe is so much focus on Apple when Steve Jobs is the number one reason flash on mobile is dead, why not focus and demo with the platform that has been a strong flash proponent from the start.

17. Felix says:

I’m exited. I love the crossplattform publishing of Flash. Adobe Air is fantastic, but a close integration of createjs & css3 would be a killer feature beside the huge export options in flash. Air is the best option for creating an app for pcs and mobiles and I also like the flashplayer for some things, but I think flash needs also a native browser export in the future. It would be a killer argument for Adobe against this stupid Flash vs. HTML discussion…

18. Raph says:

The code editor is the main flaw of flash pro cs6 and its predecessors. Eclipse it good but not really adapted for light and fast project creating and programming, without even considering animation and asset editing. So most of the flash dev/prod is in the no man’s land between the two major products available. I would never consider developing code in the flash code editor which is not able to auto complete properly or allow for some basic refactoring. Also the stability is an issue with the previous releases where many faulty fonts would crash the app without proper error display.
    Re developing it to please apple with its cocoa, the company that kicked adobe out of the mobile seems futile, I hope real improvements come along and not only for the mac users, more for the entire community.

19. civet says:

Why not use Edge Animate like (also AE like) timeline ?
    Why not use Element instead of mess Layers on timeline?
    Just the core re-engineered?
    Flash’s poor structure haven’t changed!

20. nocturnal YL says:

Finally, 64-bit AND dark inerface! But by “next generation of Flash”, I suppose we won’t be seeing it until mid-2014? I’m stuck with Flash CS5.5 because CS6 feels sloppy, so naturally I want to see this coming out sooner than later.

21. MSH says:

Nice !
    64bits Finaly! I hope the export times are reduceds too.
    I’d love to see an Edge like animation tool too:D
    Or At least A real integration of the motion Editor, with proper curves editing and simplified eases system.
    hope it will be here in 2013 !

22. Nico says:

Looks really nice. . . but what happened to the tools? No Bone tool anymore? Some other tools are missing as well . . . hopefully only in this preview.

23. scarbom says:

so does this mean that all the flash that used to slow the ui down has been removed (and has it been removed from all the other adobe crapps as well?

24. Greg says:

Adobe would be wise to take a stand, and address developers’ concerns. They’ve all but conceded that Flash is on it’s way out with their “…in your transition to HTML5″- type of headlines. They can’t just say, “Oh, hey, we have a new version that opens fast” and expect all the developers to go running back. They need to say something like, “Ok, so here’s the deal guys. We’ve struggled ‘here’ (mobile), and we’re axing that. But we’re still a leader ‘here’ (ease of use, fun, RIAs), so we’re moving forward there. And we know we’ve got work to do ‘here'(IDE, performance) and we’re working on it. We’ve committed ‘x%’ of our resources and personnel to the goal of Flash being ‘this’ in ‘this many’ years, so join with us, ’cause, uh, we won’t do it without you. ” Do they owe that to us? No. Of course not. But don’t they get it? They have to take a stand if they don’t want to continue to bleed developers that are nervous they’ll pull the plug entirely. And if they do, they’ll only have themselves to blame for not being more forthcoming with their goals. Developers won’t commit to Flash if Adobe doesn’t first (verbally and with a better show of where they’re making improvements. Boot-up time? “light” OR “dark” themes? Really?)

• Matt says:

As I understand it, they have only conceded the plugin model doesn’t work well on mobile so they directed users to HTML for mobile web. Doesn’t mean that flash isn’t present on mobile. I think the flash strategy for mobile is pretty clear, build and deploy apps through the app stores instead of on the web through a browser plugin. This makes much more sense. Apps are 70% of smartphone use vs 30% web. HTML can have that 30%, I would rather build an app that can take advantage of camera, sensors, local storage/DB’s and much more.

25. nocturnal YL says:

Just a question that comes to mind: Ever since CS4, no new drawing tools (3D transformation and deco tool and stuff) have been added. I wonder whether this will be addressed in Hellcat. Personally, I’m most interested in a better variety of gradient fills. (I have sent that as a feature request before.)

• personman says:

Yeah, I haven’t even upgraded from CS4 because there have been maybe 2 or 3 new animation-related features in the last FOUR YEARS. What happened to the old cycle of “overhaul design”/”overhaul development”? (MX/MX2004, 8/CS3, CS4)

26. Spider says:

I think the problem with flash is the same as 3ds max, it had a bad base code… and started to morph in a trash code, that’s why they didn’t add so much functionality to it… now they made the decision to rewrite it and maybe make it more resistant on new features. If this is the case then this version will be only a cosmetic change, and the next one should include new features.

27. Matt says:

How about some timing? Is this next year or coming months?

I know a lot of complaints here on themes and UI performance but those things do matter. My IOS app can take 5 minutes to compile and launch on a device to test. One silly mistake and I wasted 10 mins. If this can get down to 30 seconds, it would allow me to iterate quicker. Would also love:

– auto-update AIR SDK
    – better code editor
    – mobile components or components that auto adapt to user input, for example a list, if desktop, scrollwheel and scrollbar but if mobile, touch and throw
    – ability to cancel a compile (vs fake button that doesn’t actually cancel until done)
    – library of native extensions

28. vish says:

Is hellcat available for the public yet or is it still in development.

29. Franzen says:

Hello, this is really great news!
    Further to this announcement, I do have some questions, related to a fundamental decision which we have to make regarding Flash – so here is my question:
    We, since 2007 a very experienced, mostly Flash-AS3-based software company, are planning a new, huge project. Best would be, if we could do this in Adobe AIR / Flash (because AS3 is the only, serious, object-oriented language for multiplatform-development and the GUI-design ist just amazingly fast done with Flash. Beside of it, the performance on iOS and Android is very good, once you know the limitations of the devices and program around it).

Now, my question is: our customer wants to have it run on Windows 8 / Windows 8 RT and ARMv6. I know and I have read in the roadmap, that it is not planned to support them with AIR.

And this, I do not understand – so my questions:

Question 1: Can you give me some technical reasons why Adobe won’t support AIR on Windows 8 apps and Windows RT and ARMv6 (if it is only the performance, we do have enough know-how to get round it, if Adobe is interested in, we could extend your performance paper) it?

Question 2: The Unreal engine was ported to JavaScript within four days thanks to Emscripten. See here: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/mozilla-unveils-browser-based-unreal -engine-3-using-javascript/

Would this be possible for the Flash plugin as well?

I know that AIR compiles to native iOS code using Emscripten. As I know as well, Emscripten has many output formats, so it should be a slight to compile AIR to native Windows 8 / Android code as well – all the hassles about the captive runtime would be gone, we just would have native code!

As Emscripten can compile to JavaScript as well, it should be as well of not too much effort to cross-compile AS3 to JavaScript (and for the graphical and timeline Assets, you have already a solution, else the cross-compile out of Flash Professional to iOS won’t work)

Question 3:
    Are there any technical reasons not doing native output for the other platforms?

For your information: For us, the multi-platform is unfortunately a killer kriterium, and would result in a complete platform change for developing software (we are currently evaluating the Unity engine as an alternative for not game-based-programming (B2B-applications).

As you see in the many posts in the forum, AIR has still a lot of people using it and all of them want to talk and discuss the future of AIR / Flash with Adobe – and you can be sure, we, the community and buyers of the Adobe-software, will support you or even writing runtime-code for you.

I am sure that Adobe together with the community could make Flash / AIR the best multi-platform solution available today and this with not too much effort! Most of it is already done and the market would be very, very huge!

Looking forward to your answer, and thanks,
    best regards,
    Michael

30. James B says:

Currently use AIR for about 90% of the work we do. Perfect tool for code once, run(almost) anywhere, kiosk, Android, IOS and with increasing support every day for NativeProcess extensions that allow you to do almost anything you can think of. What I would really like to see however in the new Flash IDE is the ability to easily compile to WebGL .

31. Pingback: Flash Pro CC aka “Hellcat” is coming in June!

32. rajneesh says:

i think there is still hope for flash to come back into mobile, adobe just has to anounce a new player that doesnt bear the name flash and market it as a new kind of player. people i think is alergic with the name of flash. of course that player would support swf2 :P well its an imagination, for me swf2 is just a special compilation just like we compile to flash player 10,11 when we compile to this new format it wont support stuff like onenterframe running indefinitly, it wont allow timer to runn in gapse like 10 milisecond
    it wont suport certain library and better use of garbage colector, so in short we cant compile stuff that consume battery and compromise security. flash is great contentent delivery its just that some people abuse that can be overcomed easily

33. Juan Bello says: