Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3

We’re pleased to announce the availability of the Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3 on Labs. This prerelease software works with Flex Builder 2.0.1 or Flex SDK 2.0.1 and the just released Flash CS3 (sorry, trial downloads aren’t available quite yet, but you know you want to buy it anyway). The final version will be a feature of the next version of Flex, codenamed “Moxie.”

We’re especially excited about this feature because it demonstrates our commitment to improving the workflow between designers and developers and the integration between Adobe products. Flash content can now easily be a first-class citizen in a Flex application. Simply have your Flash symbol extend our new UIMovieClip class and you’re ready to go. Some highlights:

• Flash components can live in a Flex container and all layout will work
  • Flash component frame labels are integrated into the Flex state and transition system
  • Flex Builder will code-hint properly for your Flash component, simply add the SWC to your library path
  • Simple JSFL commands are available to set up new documents as well as publish the Flex-enabled SWC

Please go to Labs and check it out!

You can also see a presentation from Glenn Ruehle during a recent Tech Wednesday introducing the component kit and providing examples.

16 Responses to Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3

1. daniel says:

Hi Ged,I’m also trying to dynamically load a Flash component and without any luck. I also can’t seem to find any tutorials or explanations out there about this. If you’re still monitoring this thread please get in touch.ThanksdaDOTwebsATgmailDOTcom

2. Matt says:

I just re-verified the version on the Exchange and that worked for me. But if you want you may want to try to the version that comes with the Flex 3 beta which is on Labs?

3. Patrick says:

Great tech but the labs have been closed and the download zip in the adobe exchange seems to be corrupt… Where can I get the kit?thanks,pat

4. JD says:

I am able to instantiate the class using the regular new ClassName syntax.thanks again

5. JD says:

Hi,I compiled a flash movie into a flex component.I tried to dynamically instantiate a class (thatis compiled into the flex component) usingflash.utils.getDefinitionByNameHowever, I get a Error #1065: Variable ” is not defined error. Could somebody tell me if this is possible. And if so tell me how to go about it?Thank you.ps: I am sorry if I should not be posting this here. I do not know where to post this question. Please guide me.

6. Ged says:

hi,What is best practice for dynamically loading flash – FLEX kit content dynamically. By dynamically I mean not already compiled into the flex app swf?I’m trying RSL’s without success.Thank you,Ged

7. Shaggy says:

It´s already there. One month after. I´ve done some tests and , even with Moxie and Flash CS3, it seems not to work. In the presentation it worked fine. Maybe it´s because it is fresh new yet. I´m sure the adobe team will work it out. Regards to the adobe team, and we are waiting ansiouslly. Till there…

8. Andy says:

Anyone hire us? We have more than 15 Adobe Flex programmers. Our rate is only 6 USD per hour. Our website is http://www.busycode.comMy email is: cogoing@gmail.comThanks,Andy

9. Matt Chotin says:

Hi all, sorry I was on vacation so set this up to post hopefully after the launch but looks like I was an hour early. Things should be working and I’ve fixed the broken link. Thanks for hte find Charlie!Matt

10. Ah, I just found that the link on the very bottom of the page is bad — points to some sort of staging address right now.The one in the middle of the page works fine.CS

11. The page has been updated and all works fine. Yipee! I see the “Make Flex Component” in Flash CS3.

12. The content is there, but the link to the Zip is bad on the Labs page.

13. Austin says:

This is awesome guys. Thanks a lot for providing this as this is DEFINITELY needed among developers and designers and I’m understating it. It is good to see adobe and the flex team concentrating on this end as it is very important.

14. Dave Gillem says:

yeah page shell is there, no content, no download… what a tease 😉

15. German Bauer says:

There is nothing on labs yet, maybe this blog entry is a tad premature? (albeit very exciting!)

16. I don’t see a download on the Labs page, am I missing something?