Flex SDK 3.3 Released

The latest official Flex SDK, now at version 3.3 has been released. You can download it from our main downloads page. We are not releasing a new version of Flex Builder, and therefore have made the updated Data Visualization components available from the same downloads page as well.

These releases are entirely bug fixes, along with the inclusion of the updated Flash Player and AIR bits.

You can see the SDK bug fixes here. The Data Visualization bug fixes are:

FLEXDMV-963: Complete chart area not used when day(s) are disabled
FLEXDMV-1882: Changing ColumnSeries itemRenderer at runtime doesn’t remove previous itemRenderer. All previous itemRenderers still get called.
FLEXDMV-1695: RTE for Chart display when using labels, 100% height and ViewStates.

The Flex SDK is also available from the Open Source site.

Edited 3/09/09:
Instructions for extracting the source for the data visualization components can be found in the release notes.

The workaround below is not necessary if you’ve downloaded since 3/07.

NOTE: If you are on a Mac and using AIR you may need to run the script found attached to the bug SDK-19707 as we screwed up the symlinks pointing to the runtimes. This will hopefully be fixed in the downloadable version in the next day or two.

12 Responses to Flex SDK 3.3 Released

1. Mike Collins says:

I can not unpack the file “DMV-source.jar”. Every time I try I get the following error:C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.3.0\lib>java -jar DMV-source.jar C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\FlexException in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ûjarCaused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ûjarat java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)Could not find the main class: ΓÇôjar. Program will exit.

2. Pete says:

Thanks Matt! Deleting the license.properties file and then re-entering the code for FB seemed to do the trick, and it auto-magically extracted the needed files.

3. Pete says:

Thanks for the quick response. I have Vista and have that file. I tried a search but Windows Explorer never found that file. I hate Vista. Anyways, I entered that file, but got an error. From the ..\sdks\3.3.0\lib directory I typed ‘java -jar DMV-source.jar “C:\Program Data\Adobe\Flex” ‘, and the response was ‘ Exception in thread “main” java.io.FileNotFoundException C:\Program Data\Adobe\Flex\license.properties (The system cannot find the path specified) ‘. My license .properties file dates from July 21, 2008 – should it have been updated more recently?Hmm, well I guess the only thing I can recommend is maybe trying to remove the license.properties that you have, see if FB opens the serial dialog again so you can re-enter your serial, and then find the license.properties file that should re-appear. If you drop the DMV-source.jar in a location that matches the 3.0 SDK (but in your 3.3) SDK FB might auto-extract everything you need. Not sure if I’ll have any more good suggestions, would recommend checking with Adobe support if you run into more issues.

4. Pete says:

I downloaded the 3.3 SDK as per the instructions and added it to my project preferences in FlexBuilder 3.02. However, now I get errors with all of my charts, saying that types like CartesianDataCanvas aren’t recognized. I have tried downlading and installing the Data Visualization components, but I cannot get past Line 3 of the instructions to install the library – I cannot find a ‘license.properties’ file except in directory for my Flex 2 SDK. When I try to run the command in a cmd window pointing to that old file, nothing happens. I get the help text in the command window and ‘dmv_automation_build.xml’ is not extracted into the fbpro folder. What am I missing?Matt sez: license.properties is in different locations based on what OS you are on. Try these:Windows XP: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Adobe\Flex\license.propertiesVista: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Flex\license.propertiesMac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flex/license.properties

5. Tom says:

Hi Flex team.I’m seeing a LOT of checkins for 3.4, very excited about any actual changes to 3.x SDK. But how … 🙂 … do 25 bug fixes make a major SDK revision? I assume you all wanted to make a super stable release and that’s understandable. Can anyone enlighten any of the plans for 3.4?Matt sez: there will be a 3.4 but we’re not sure on its timing. Will definitely be after the bug quash at the end of this month, likely to be a few months later.

6. Eiliv says:

How do we get a hold on the source code for the Data Visualization components in the 3.3 SDK?We have fixed a few bugs, overridden some difficult to get at behavior and done some optimalizations – and after upgrading to the 3.3 SDK we are flying blind…How can we verify that our changes are still necessary and valid in the 3.3 SDK?Cheers!Matt sez: should have put this on the page, instructions are in the release notes.

7. jacob says:

Are you not doing a Debugger version of 10 for PPC Macs anymore?Matt sez: included Player for Mac should be a universal binary.

8. Greg, thats curious – that should work. The beauty of constraint columns and rows is that they’re not containers so you CAN animate across them. That bug will end up on my plate, I’ll take a look.

9. Greg Jastrab says:

Bug filed: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-19737 for anyone that wants to vote on it.

10. Greg Jastrab says:

Matt, here is an example I tried that did not work. Please let me know if there is another way I should apply the transition, or if I should file as a bug.http://pastie.org/409582Matt sez: OK, I guess file a bug, I may be wrong on what we expected to work.

11. Greg Jastrab says:

I posted the following question on Ted’s announcement of this, but haven’t seen a response yet. This will probably be a better place for it:Are there futher details/examples on the constraint layout enhancements? The release notes say:

Enhanced Constraints layout mechanism – Enhanced Constraints builds upon the existing constraint-based layout mechanism allowing you to create complex, resizable layouts using sibling-relative constraints (in Flex 2 you could only define parent-child constraints).

Can anyone comment if this includes allowing children to be positioned via constraint rows/columns and then animated to resize using states to change either the style properties or the width/height on the Constraints themselves?I love using Constraint Rows/Columns for liquid layouts, but then you can’t use states/transitions to resize them. Unless I’ve just been missing something?Matt sez: I think that should work. It’s not new in 3.3, we haven’t changed any constraints logic since 3.0. But if you look in the docs you should find the constraint column and row classes and i would imagine you can do any effects that adjust those properties.

12. John says:

How do you install the 3.3 sdk for use with flex builder?Matt sez: make sure you have Flex Builder 3.0.2 and then you simply download the SDK, place it wherever you like, then add it as an available SDK via your preferences (you can do this in the Project Properties).