Today, we released Flex 3 Beta 2 on Adobe Labs. We’re all very proud of this release and I’d like to take a minute to describe some of the improvements that have been made to the learning resources:
- The Flex 3 Getting Started Experience, which is fully integrated with the Flex Builder 3 Start Page, provides a series of modules designed to help new users dive into Flex. With the aid of Inquiriuum, an Instructional Design firm, we put a lot of effort into this and the improvements include:
- Code, code, and more code – Each module displays all the code involved, all modules are available in a ZIP file, suitable for importing into Flex Builder, and certain modules are displayed in Code Anatomy format (Code Anatomy is an innovative Flex application, written by NJ, and enhanced by our friends at Trilemetry).
- Step-by-step tutorials – Show you how to create the applications in Flex Builder.
- Learn more links – If you’re not a sequential learner, we provide links to all sorts of related material, include Adobe Training, LiveDocs, Quick-Starts, Blog postings, and chapters from O’Reilly books.
- Finally, it’s on online, wiki-based experience – By using a wiki, we’ll be able to make continuous improvements and to respond quickly to your feedback.
- LiveDocs pages now use the CS3 format and they load much faster. Yeah!
- Runnable code examples in LiveDocs pages now include the running SWF. This looks much cooler than it sounds. To see what I mean, click on the SWF at the bottom of http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/flex3/html/createeffects_14.html.
- Flex 3 documentation is now in the Flex Builder Help system. The Help system also include AIR for Flex documentation and quick-starts. As usually, you can link from the Help system to LiveDocs.
- Items that you might find particularly interesting include:
- Create application from database – In Flex Builder, select Data > Create Application from Database, and follow the wizard to automatically generate a CRUD application that accesses one of your existing databases. For instructions, see http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/flex3/html/data_03.html. (Please ignore the %embedded% lines. After all, this _is_ a Beta release…)
- OLAP – Flex SDK now supports OLAP through the OLAPDataGrid control. Check it out!
- Profiler – People have been anxiously awaiting the profiler. The documentation is part of Using Flex Builder.
- Download Beta 2 (requires login to adobe.com)
- Usage docs (LiveDocs)
- Reference docs
- Download a ZIP file containing usage doc (PDF) and Reference doc (HTML)
Bugs and known issues
The Eclipse 3.3 online Help engine requires XHTML-compliant HTML and it throws a servlet error when it encounters and offending page. If you run into this, please file a bug in the public bugbase.