Many Flex, Adobe AIR, Adobe BlazeDS, and Adobe LiveCycle ES developers choose to use the Eclipse plug-in configuration of Flex Builder so that they can develop Java code in the same IDE that they use to develop the MXML and ActionScript code. While the standalone version of Flex Builder does not contain tools to edit Java code by default, you can install them as Eclipse plugins. That lets you use the standalone version of Flex Builder to edit Java code.
To install the Java development tools in the standalone version of Flex Builder:
1. Use the Help > Software Updates > Find and Install menu command to open the Install/Update dialog box
2. Select Search for new features to install.
3. Click Next.
4. In the results, choose Europa Discovery Site.
5. Click Finish.
6. Select the Java Development package to install.
7. Click Next.
8. Accept the license.
9. Click Finish.
Note: You might be prompted to install additional plugins required by the Java Development package.
To change perspective:
1. Use the Window > Perspective > Other to access all perspectives.
You can also click the Open Perspective button in the upper-right corner of the workbench window, then select a perspective from the pop-up menu.
2. Select Java from the list of perspectives.
Flex Doc Team