Extracting data visualization source code

All users have access to the Flex 3 SDK source code. You can view the ActionScript source files for classes like Button and DataGrid. The source code is in the frameworks\projects\framework\src directory of your Flex installation. The source code for the data visualization projects does not come pre-installed, however. If you have a Flex Builder Professional license key, you can extract the data visualization source code, which include the charting controls, the AdvancedDataGrid classes, the OLAP classes, and the automation classes. To view your Flex Builder license key, select Manage Flex Licenses from the Help menu.

To extract the data visualization source code, you use the DMV-source.jar file. This file is located in the SDK’s lib directory. If you are using Flex Builder, the lib directory is located at {Flex Builder 3}\sdks\3.0.0\lib.

The syntax to extract the data visualization source code is as follows:

> java -jar DMV-source.jar {license-file-location} {output-location}

The first argument is the location of the license.properties file. This file must contain a valid Flex Builder 3 Professional license key. The second parameter is the location that you want the data visualization source code to be extracted to.

If you installed Flex Builder 3 Professional, then the license.properties file is located at the following locations, depending on your operating system:

• Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Flex\
  • Mac OS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flex/
  • Linux: ~/.adobe/Flex/

The following example extracts the data visualization source code to the c:\temp\dataviz_source directory on Windows:

java -jar c:\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.0.0\lib\DMV-source.jar
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Flex\"
c:\temp\dataviz_source

If you have a valid Flex Builder 3 Professional license key but did not install Flex Builder, then you can create a license.properties file anywhere, and point to it when you use the DMV-source.jar file. The syntax of the license.properties file is as follows:

flexbuilder3={license_key}

15 Responses to Extracting data visualization source code

1. The Linux path is actually: ~/.adobe/Flex/ (notice the leading tilde).

2. This is something I had to show to my students each time I told that Flex 3 SDK is open source… Now I have a link to give 😉 Thanks

3. Mike: I updated the entry to reflect this change.Thanks!

4. Mike Pearson says:

Very useful! Might be worth mentioning too that a look in Project Properties > Flex Build Path > Library Path tab > Flex sdks > datavisualization.swc will tell you where you need to install the generated sources so Flex Builder can find them on command/control click.

5. Mark says:

This is a lot easier if you just cut and paste the command (modified as necessary):java -jar “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.1.0\lib\DMV-source.jar” “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Flex””C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.1.0″in a batch file and then just run the batch file from a command prompt (in windows of course). Don’t forget quotes around each of the path strings.

6. stsdxb says:

License file locationsWindows XP——————-C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Flex\license.propertiesWindows Vista——————-C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Flex\license.propertiesMac OSX——————-/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flex/license.propertiesLinux——————-~/.adobe/Flex/license.properties

7. Matt says:

i agree with mark on just creating a batch file and pasting the commandsjava -jar “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.1.0\lib\DMV-source.jar” “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Flex””C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.1.0″if i don’t have enough time to extract data i just use http://www.extractingdata.com , the action script source code looks to be interesting as well,

8. vasu says:

Just i downloaded datavisualization_sdk3.4.zip library for felxbuilder3.0 with sdk 3.4,Now where i need to copy this datavisualization_sdk3.4.zip file to enable charts in my builder…please Help me, am new to flex…..

9. Tonya Henson says:

You can also go to open zip file to open your zip files easily online. Hope this is a big help.

10. What do you do if you get “Windows cannot find ‘java’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again”?Thanks

11. Schmuli says:

I tried following what you wrote here, and I know it’s been a long time, but I installed Flash Builder 4, not Flex Builder 3, and therefore my license key is for Flash Builder 4. When running the command, the error returned is that my key is not valid. There is no DMV-Source.jar in the Flex 4/4.1 lib directory, so how can I get the sources?

12. Matthew J. Horn says:

Schmuli, the data visualization classes in Flex 4 are open source. You no longer need to do any of this to view the source code. Instead, do this:

Download the latest SDK* from http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4

* Be sure to download the ZIP file from the “Open Source Flex SDK” column of the table.

Open the ZIP file and look in the following directory:
    frameworks\projects\datavisualization\src\mx\charts\chartClasses\

hth,
    matthew horn

13. Chris says:

Hi, Sorry to ride on the back of an old thread.
    I have installed FlashBuilder 4, but need to compile against the 3.2 SDK. I’ve copied the data visualisation files from our old FB 3 machine, but am seeing the ‘trail’ watermark. How can I get rid of this?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Matthew J. Horn says:

I don’t know how the licenses interact when compiling with older SDKs. I think you will have to check with tech support on that one. Sorry,

matt horn