Upgrading and reinstalling the Adobe Community Help Client (CHC)

Hi all,
Over the past few months, I’ve spent a lot of time talking to internal and external customers about Adobe Community Help. Some of the people I’ve met have complaints about the CHC not working (a common issue is that context-sensitive help is broken) and in many cases, this is because they have an old version. In particular, customers who were in either the Flash Builder prerelease or the CS 5 prerelease will have context-sensitive help issues and can have trouble updating.

The current CHC release is 3.2.0.610 (one customer I spoke with last week was still on 2.6.1.14!)

In most cases, the CHC prompts you when an update is available. However, if that isn’t working, follow the instructions on http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84215.html to uninstall and reinstall the CHC AIR application.

If you’ve been unhappy with the CHC, I ask that you please upgrade and try it out again. There are a lot of new features and I think you’ll be happy with all the improvements.

Best regards,
Randy Nielsen
Senior Content and Community Manager
Adobe Systems Incorporated

6 Responses to Upgrading and reinstalling the Adobe Community Help Client (CHC)

1. JabbyPanda says:

He-he, my Adobe Community Help version displays 3.3.0.800 version number, I am ahead of you 😛

• Randy Nielsen says:

@JabbyPanda, You’re right, I’m often behind the times 🙂

However, in a way, you’re helping to make my point; the CHC dev team is pushing out regular updates and improvements (in fact, there is a 3.4 release that we hope to fully deploy in the next 3-4 weeks).
      -Randy

2. Florian says:

Hi,

How can I force CHC to download english documentation instead of my native language?

• JabbyPanda says:

I think CHC relies on OS locale to determine the language of the documentation to obtain.

In your case, the only workaround that I can think of to enable English documentation is to download documentation files in ZIP format manually and fetch it to CHC into
      “c:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\chc.\Local Store\Help\en_US\” folder.

Locations of archived help files to downloaded are list at this topic:

“Trouble with CS5 off-line help install”

• Randy Nielsen says:

@JabbyPanda,
      That was my first thought, too. However, I asked some of the CHC developers and they suggested this:

* Initialize CHC in English. To do this, close, Flash Builder, Change your OS language to English, start Flash Builder, open the CHC (Help>Flash Builder Help), and download local content.

And, happily, @Florian reports that it worked!
      0Randy

3. Anton says:

New version is wont start on my Mac book pro (Mac OS 10.6.6 and FlashBuilder burito).