Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 documentation is live!

As you probably already know, we shipped Flex 4.5 and Flash Builder 4.5 today. Although you’ll find a lot of information on the Flex product page, the Flash Builder product page, the Flex Developer Center, and the (new!) Flash Builder Developer Center, I’m using this post to focus on the documentation:

• (New!) Developing Mobile Applications with Flex and Flash Builder – Contains information on using mobile-oriented Flash Builder and Flex features. We put a lot of effort into making this content as clear and searchable as possible and are all very proud of it. That said, I recommend that you start by reading NJ’s Mobile development using Adobe Flex 4.5 SDK and Flash Builder 4.5 article before jumping in. Notice that the pages in this book contain numerous links to external videos, devcenter articles, and blog posts, which we think will be tremendously helpful as you come up to speed in this new area.
  • Platform ActionScript Reference – Contains new and updated classes for all Adobe products that feature ActionScript APIs. In particular, it has new Flex classes, such as Spark DataGrid, Image, and Form. If you haven’t used the Platform ASR before, note that you can change the filter settings to control which products and versions you see.
  • Using Flex – Contains usage information on new Flex SDK features, such as Spark DataGrid, Image, and Form (remember, we have corresponding reference and usage discussions for most Flex features). This book also contains updates and enhancements to existing discussions.
  • Using Flash Builder – We reorganized this book to clarify the Flash Catalyst, ActionScript, and Flash Professional workflows. In particular, there is new information on implementing two-way designer-developer workflows with Flash Catalyst.
  • Accessing Data with Flex – There aren’t many changes to this book, although we did update screen shots in the Flash Builder workflows.

And lightning will strike me down if I neglect to highlight the amazing work done by the Flex and Flash Builder Community Help & Learning (aka documentation) team: Stephen Gilson, Matt Horn, Mallika Yelandur, Pam Araki, Rosana Francescato, Janice Campbell, Sunil Bhaskaran, and Helen Li all did a great job bringing this content to fruition. Also we received critical support from Cate de Heer, Denise Green, Brian Rinaldi, my old friend Erick Vera, and my manager, Helen Whelan.

That’s all for now, but my team and I will be updating this site regularly over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

-Randy

Update – May 4, 2011: – Sorry. I forgot three important links:

11 Responses to Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 documentation is live!

1. Tangent says:

Are there any offline documentation for Flex 4.5 available?

2. Matthew J. Horn says:

Tangent,

If you go to this page: http://www.adobe.com/support/flex/

You’ll see a link to “Flex Documentation” on the right. Click that and the list contains links to PDFs of all the Flex books.

hth,
    matt horn
    flex docs

3. Nayan says:

http://www.nayansavla.com/blog/?p=386 i have updated this post with the latest xml file required to view flex docs using eclipse help.

4. Hi Randy, the mobile dev book seems really great. Thanks team!

5. Pingback: Kisebb hĂ­rcsokor | Flex Portal

6. Matthias Sauter says:

Is this documentation translait to German?
    It’s easyer for me to learn the Flash Builder.
    *******
    Response: Most things are translated (everything but Using Flex). If you go to http://help.adobe.com/de_DE/flex/mobileapps/index.html, the list in the top left part of the screen takes you to all the docs.
    HTH,
    -Randy

7. Anant says:

hello sir,

please tell me how to develop or built flash games?
    suggest me software name and books please..

reply me on my mail address please..

********************
    @anant, I recommend that you start in the Flash Platform Game Developer Center: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/games.html
    HTH
    -Randy

8. vinay says:

if we develop a app in fb4.5 can we put in cloud using any of the adobe tools
    if yes please let me know how to do that

9. Pingback: COCO » Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 Documentation

10. Jeremy says:

I am in dire need of an explanation of how to use Flash Builder to develop a desktop air app that connects to a db I built in SQLite and want to distribute with the app. The app will be specifically for one person so the database will be specific to them. Its basically like a personal information database for the person….that stores all their info and weight loss goals and such. Thanks!

11. Matthew J. Horn says:

Jeremy, your best bet is to ask for some specific questions on the Adobe user forums here:

hth,