Use the ActionScript® 3.0 Reference for the Adobe® Flash® Platform as the API reference for many Adobe products, including Flash Player, AIR, and Flex. The November, 2011, release of the ActionScript Reference (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/) contains major performance improvements and other new features:
- Refresh right-pane only on selection, instead of entire page. This feature improves page-load performance by implementing a right-pane only refresh on selection. This feature improves page-load times in the range of 25-50% (not available in all versions of IE).
- Improved linking to Adobe User Guides. Reorganized the See Also sections into three areas – More Examples, Learn More, and Related API Elements. This reorganization makes it easier to find examples and usage information for a class or class element. For example, see the ViewNavigator class.
- The Show Packages and Classes option is now the default to address a frequent customer request.
- Fixes for issues associated with localization and translation.
Previously, I blogged with a link to a ZIP file for the 4.5 samples code that is used in the core documentation. This blog entry was pretty popular and a lot of folks downloaded the ZIP file. However, many users are still using Flex and Flash Builder 3.x, so here is a link to a ZIP file that contains the source code and assets for the Flex 3.x examples:
As with the 4.5 examples, this includes the *.mxml and *.as files, as well as the stylesheets, images, videos, audio files, and other assets that they use. This ZIP file does not include the compiled SWF files for these examples, but it should be useful to you if you like to search for and look at source code for the Flex 3.x examples.
The ZIP file is organized into 4 main groups:
- devapps: Core examples including the MX component set and containers, effects, validators, and item renderers.
- buildapps: Examples that focus on topics such as logging, deploying, and optimizing apps.
- createcomps: Examples that focus on custom component development.
- datavis: Data visualization examples including the charting examples as well as the OLAPDataGrid and AdvancedDataGrid components.
NOTE: If you found this blog post but are actually looking for the Flex 4.5 examples, you can get them here:
-Matthew J. Horn