The changing landscape of CS5 for Broadcast (part 1)
The landscape in the broadcast world is changing. Big time. Think about it – broadcasters have:
- Moved from analog to digital transmission.
- From standard definition to high definition (two flavors, not one by the way).
- We’ve gone from a couple of formats (betacam and DV) to an ever growing list of formats.
- The world has gotten even more media saturated meaning that content has to be even better.
- Broadcasters don’t worry about one screen (TV), they worry about three (TV, online, mobile)
- The world has moved from tape based (remember those?) to file-based formats.
- And oh, by the way, we’ve had an incredibly challenging economy that means capital expenditures (improving your equipment) have been difficult to say the least.
Without the least bit of exaggeration, many people have said that this is the perfect storm of change and with this change there’s an opportunity to thrive from it. That’s where Adobe’s been focusing – how to make our customers succeed in this storm of change.
This will be the first of a two part entry. Here, I will outline the challenges that broadcasters are facing and how Adobe can help address them. In the second part, I’ll provide some feedback I’ve gotten from executives on their business as well as their reactions to CS5.