So the Bridge platform includes:
* Flash player – for UI creation (check out the samples)
* ExtendScript UI – create native UI using ExtendScript
* HTML Browser – view websites within Bridge
* FTP and HTTP – connect to webservices!
* C++ plugin – samples on how to hook in your C++ code
* XMP Scripting – much easier access for write and modifying XMP through Bridge
* BridgeTalk – communication protocol to talk with other apps – get them to do some work
If you are serious about connecting Bridge to an digital asset management (DAM) system then you need to check out the Version Cue SDK. This SDK is focused on making it really simple to connect the Adobe CS3 products, especially Bridge, to your DAM implementation. My product manager colleague Mike Wallen has done a great job of providing an overview and a demo of the SDK.