It’s been especially hard to keep my mouth shut about this one lately, but I’m thrilled to report that we announced Adobe Audition 3 this morning. The team is especially proud of this release, not just because of overcoming the challenge of producing it at the same time as Soundbooth, but mainly because it adds both brand new exciting capabilities and polishes existing workflows. Take a look at the new features summary, or the more thorough What’s New PDF, to see what we’ve added–we think there’s something for everyone.
Some of the highlights include:
- MIDI recording and editing in a piano roll sequencer
- VSTi support
- Spectral frequency selection paintbrush
- Spectral frequency healing brush
- Marque editing in the spectral pan and phase displays
- Multitrack auto-crossfades and fade handles on every clip
- Grouped-clip editing in the multitrack view
- New effects including Convolution Reverb, Analog Delay, a new Mastering tool, and a Guitar Suite
- Time stretching using the Radius engine from iZotope
- A dedicated top/tail view in the edit view for tuning the start and end of a file
- On-clip controls for volume and fades in the edit view
- New Adaptive Noise Reduction and Phase Correction tools
- Improved performance with N-core support in the mixing engine
We should be shipping well before the end of the year–I’d say in or before November. The price remains the same at $349 US, and we have a $99 upgrade for anyone who has a previous version of Audition, even if it came as part of a collection or suite. You can pre-order now if you’d like, and there will be a demo version posted at or around the time we ship.
More personally, this rounds out quite a year for me and for the whole audio team. It’s been an exhausting, challenging, exhilarating ride trying to bring a new take on audio to the world at the same time we were advancing a well-loved product to the next level. I couldn’t be more proud of the team and, while there are always things we wished we could have done better, and others we wish we had done more or less of, on the whole I hope you’ll agree that this is a bang-up release for our audio workhorse and a huge step forward for Adobe in audio. Now I’m going to take my fatigue, my wife, and myself on a vacation so don’t be surprised if this spot is dark for a little while. More news when I return!