Challenged By Folding?

Have you ever had to design a brochure or other marketing document, and then been tormented by the task of setting up your document correctly to account for the folding required to complete the piece?

There’s a new product available now from FoldRite that’s designed to take the worry and hassle out of setting up different types of folded documents in InDesign. I played with it a bit the other day, and I found it to be both a valuable and easy to use utility. If you create folded printed pieces, you’ll definitely want to have a look at this one, because it just might eliminate a lot of headaches for you.

Both the web and plug-in versions of the FoldRite utility have essentially the same user interface.

The product is available in two forms, a plug-in utility (available at a discounted price of $299 until July 31st), or as a hosted online service where you can construct and download a template for $9.99.

You can find an animated online demo here that shows you how the interface works.

You use the animated interface to select and (if necessary) modify the settings to create the template you need. FoldRite creates new InDesign file that contains the rules and marks required to construct your job.

The finished product is an InDesign template that’s ready-made with the required fold guides and markings necessary for printing and folding your document.

One of the very cool features of the plug-in version is its ability to "update" (remodel, really) an existing document. Suppose you’re half-way thru a project that you’re not sure you’ve set up correctly. You can run the FoldRite plug-in on an already existing InDesign document to get the correct setup applied to your file.

10 Responses to Challenged By Folding?

1. ms says:

Too expensive in my opinion. Pretty cool though. I’d probably limit myself to spending about $50 for it. I guess I’ll just have to figure out folding on my own.

[TC: Seems to me the online version is pretty reasonable for occasional folded jobs. The templates can obviously be re-used. That said, I’d need to be doing a lot of folded jobs before I’d buy the plug-in, but I could envision it paying for itself if this was something I did regularly.]

2. Brett says:

When I found out that making a simple 11×17 folded to 8.5×11 size newsletter wasn’t part of InDesign I was surprised. After testing many plugins and scripts (free and commercial), I now lean on Cocoa Booklet, which appears free and is still working for me, retaining all vector info within the PDF, ripping a letter size document from pages 1-28 into a 14 page printer spread document! Beautiful! However doesn’t appear to be maintained any longer… Some day soon I hope Adobe will build this part in. Still works with CS3 and 10.5.4 however. =) Thanks again and keep up the fantastic work!

Looks like another handy tool for the basic needs like mine here as well:

[TC: There are several such imposition apps, Cheap Impostor being another–http://cheapimpostor.com–but, to be fair, these impose PDF files, and don’t set up a template to lay out the whole job as a single ID file. If I were doing a folded brochure, I’d prefer the FoldRite approach, but for imposing pages (as in your newsletter), I think that one of these others would be the right choice.]

3. I recommend trying: The excellent MakeBooklet script for CS3. Link below.

The Print Booklet dialog by Adobe is poor. It doesn’t let you select which spreads to print. So you either have to fiddle with your page numbers to make it produce the right spread, and you can make a serious mistake if you’re not careful.

So I run this script to create a document with the spreads done. Then find the pages I want to print and print them. Works fine for simple booklets.

4. greg says:

i’ve always thought fold factory’s stuff looked interesting, but a bit steep in price as well (compared to plugins that do similar level of complexity). i’ll just do the math.

and aled, your link doesn’t work.

5. I’ve found the permalink now.
    You had to read down the link I sent.

The download itself is on the left hand menu.

6. wa Veghel says:

400 dollars??? You must be kidding. Indeed, 50 dollars, no more!

7. Brian Boyle says:

I bought the plug-in right when it came out, and it wasn’t $400, it was $299 (I think that promotion is still going on??). I think it’s worth a lot more than I paid for it. It saves me so much time and stress, and the update template feature lets you turn ID files into Foldrite templates, so I’ve even been able to correct and modify files I created way before I got the plug-in. As for other similar tools that build custom professional templates, and not just a handful of simple folds for desktop publishers, I haven’t seen anything like it. If you’re not ready to buy the plug-in, try the single template downloads first–they’re cheap.

8. When you evaluate its cost, you have to think of FoldRite as more than a plug-in: think of it as an application with a hook into InDesign. When you consider the huge assortment of “canned” templates, and the ability to extensively modify them, it’s a rich app. Beyond that, the support content (such as advice about stock weight and grain direction) is an education in itself. I love it; I think it’s a great tool to have in the arsenal.

9. The plug-in has a good approach for guiding the user, BUT in the time of cross media publishing and JDF, it’s a kind of stupid to output just ONE page with guidelines—where every single “product page” should be defined, connected with “bindery logic”. I guess it behaves like that because of InDesign’s “no different page size” limitation… :-/

10. donald Fleming says:

I work in repro and 299 is too much for this plugin. There are “different page size” plugins for ID and they are a nightmare, Imposition software does not allow different page widths so the feature is useless. I’ve had endless jobs where one side of the page is different size to the back side of the same page! (think about it). Simplest solution is do a dummy using correct paper, it’s a simple technique but it works. Get friendly with your printer.