InDesign CS4 Help Is Live

We’ve just posted InDesign CS4 Help and InCopy CS4 Help on the Web. We still have some work to do and bugs to fix, but we figured that you’d get a lot of benefit from taking an early peek.

To take a look at new features, here’s a link to What’s new in InDesign CS4. And here’s a link to What’s new in InCopy CS4. These topics list the top new features, with links to detailed information about each.

Note that many links to video tutorials, other Help documents, and white papers are still not functional, and the search doesn’t really work yet. And commenting isn’t turned on yet. This should all be fixed when the CS4 products actually ship.

To talk about InDesign CS4 and ask questions, visit the InDesign user forum. Or visit the InCopy user forum.

Here’s a link to the new Community Help page, which is still a work in progress:
InDesign Community Help

If you have any suggestions for improving Help, email me (I spelled it out here to avoid spam): bbringhu at adobe dot com

18 Responses to InDesign CS4 Help Is Live

1. greg says:

I’m embedding SWF files in my InDesign doc (extra photos and such) using the button feature and then making a PDF. Unfortunately, the embedded files can’t be found when someone clicks on them and tries to open them?[For this type of question, go to the InDesign user forum: http://www.adobe.com/support/forums -Bob]

2. Mick Travis says:

In InDesin interactive buttons. How can I go from ie; Page12 to Page 2.When I convert to PDF file it says that go to page view is not supported. Why?______________[You need to create a text anchor (hyperlink destination) on the page you want to jump to, and have the button link to that text anchor. -Bob]

3. Caroline says:

HiI’m doing a business card through Indesign and I am having an issue as one side of the card will be in english and the otherside Japanese. I know what characters to use as the person I am setting this up for has sent the information to me but I can’t find the font on the programme. Can someone help me urgently.ThanksCaroline

4. Carla says:

I am shrinking a menu down for a carry-out menu. I used to create outlines then group all and shrink. But now when I do that the graphics don’t shrink too like they used to, they disappear or look odd. Is there a way around this?

5. Bob Bringhurst says:

For this type of question, go to the user forum:http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_general

6. Ashley says:

Ok… So I am kind of new to this whole design thing. I have had some training but not basic enough to creating certain kinds of documents. At work I got assigned a job to create a full page advertisement that will be in a Saudi Arabia magazine. I got the specs and they are “Type: 180 m x 260 mm, Trim 210 mm x 280 mm, and Bleed 220 mm x 290 mm.” I understand what trim and bleed are, but I’m not sure how to interpret type. Also what would be the best way to set this document up in Indesign? PLEASE HELP! Thanks! :)

• Bob Bringhurst says:

Ashley – You can change which units of measurement are used in the Preferences dialog box, or you can type “220 mm” in the Bleed field and the number will be converted to whatever is the default. If you’re new to InDesign, I recommend going through a few Getting Started videos to learn the basics. For help with other questions, go to the user forum:

7. Jay says:

How do I change the color of a line

8. lboston says:

Why is it, that whenever I either make a template for Avery business cards or even use Avery templates, they never print correctly? There is always a spacing problem. Have I set InDesign up wrong or something? I never had this problem with PageMaker.

9. dynah says:

Hi!

I am editing a souvenir program using Indesign CS4 saved on a CD. I just downloaded the application. Can I edit it directly on the CD? Please reply.

Thanks!

dynah

10. Farah says:

Hello, i am making a page where one can click on an item and ‘on release’, a larger item image is to show. i have my ‘zoomed image’ interactive button, normal state blank and rollover and click- alive. so when i export it to swf and i open the page all the images pop up without even clicking it (Is this due to the roll over state? If I turn off the roll over state the ‘zoomed button’ doesn’t appear). what can i do for it to behave as a ‘when click and released the image appears’ rather than a pop up of images when one turns to that page?

11. Adam says:

Hi,

Im creating a concert programme using Indesign CS4 which includes over 350 photos of cast members. I have saved each jpg image with the cast members name (e.g. pictures/John Smith.jpg) and would like the name to show up under their photo.
    Does any one have an idea of how I can do this?

Greatly appreciate your help!
    Adam

12. Traci says:

I’m trying to add a bullet character to an InDesign document. I’m following the instructions, but it will not give me the option to check the “remember font with bullet” box. It’s gray and unaccessible. Any ideas? Work-arounds?

(Here’s the instruction: 1.In the Bullets And Numbering dialog box, select Bullets from the List Type menu, then click Add. 2.Select the glyph that you want to use as the bullet character. (Different font families and font styles contain different glyphs.) 3.If you want the new bullet to remember the currently chosen font and style, select Remember Font With Bullet. 4.Click Add.)

13. Rajun69 says:

Hi Bob
    How do i get help on InDesign CS4 if i cannot find a solution in the forum or on Google. I called Adobe and they refuse to assist me. I cannot launch InDesgin or Illustrator from my CS4 suite. Tried a reinstall, installed the patch 6.06, nothing works. Gives a a windows error and closes the launch even before InDesign or Illustrator opens. The other components FW, DW Ps all work fine.
    Rajun

14. ktm says:

is there no way in indesign to name page numbers to the imposition of a duplex booklet?