A Complete List of InDesign CS4 Videos

Looking for a list of InDesign videos? You’ve come to the right place!

Getting Started Videos

Applying GREP styles
Export from InDesign to SWF
Rotating spread view
Working with smart guides
Editing the exported XFL file in Flash Pro

Relevant CS3 Videos

Most of the InDesign CS3 videos in the Video Workshop are still relevant in InDesign CS4.

Using the Control panel
Using keyboard shortcuts
Importing content into InDesign
Managing pages
Setting up a new document
Working with master pages
Making selections
Working with objects
Using object styles
Working with anchored objects
Using layers
Working with text
Working with text styles
Creating bullets and numbering
Creating running headers and footers
Using the Text Wrap panel
Finding and changing expressions, text, and object formatting
Creating and formatting tables
Adding headers and footers to tables
Placing images in tables
Using table styles
Creating drop shadows
Applying feathering to objects
Applying opacity effects
Setting opacity
Synchronizing master pages
Setting pagination
Creating a table of contents
Creating an index
Preparing files for output
Defining sections
Working with Microsoft Word and Excel tables in InDesign
Creating footnotes
Creating JDF job definitions
Designing websites with InDesign and exporting to XHTML

Adobe TV

New videos are continually added to Adobe TV. Bookmark the InDesign page, and filter your results by unchecking categories on the right side of the page.

Make sure you catch the Caffe Fibbonacci videos with Tim and Rufus. It’s a fun way to learn.

Find any other InDesign video resources on the web? Leave a comment.

39 Responses to A Complete List of InDesign CS4 Videos

1. Thomas Kaltschmidt says:

Hi Bob, where do i find the normal PDF-manuals of the CS4 applications (Design Premium). I know they are not printed for some time, but i even can’t find the PDFs.best regardsThomas[From Bob] Thomas, you can download the full PDF of any Adobe help system by clicking the PDF icon in the upper right of the help window. InDesign Help is located here:http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/

2. Eugene says:

Great links to the videos. I just came from InDesign Secrets, who directed me here and it’s great to have some cool videos to watch.Thanks for sharing

3. Will Pollard says:

I think the JDF video deserves a direct link if you can find one.I realise Adobe is very excited about Flash, but my guess is that most people use InDesign for printed pages. The option to start a JDF intent in Acrobat has been there for a couple of releases now but is hardly ever explained or promoted.Could there be more on JDF in video form? Or at least easy ways to reach what exists?

4. OK, I set up all the direct links, including the JDF video.

5. It looks like all the CS3 videos that you’re linked to are broken–not the links, but the videos themselves. When I click on the link, the video begins buffering, then I get the following error message:Workshop could not be loaded![FaultEvent fault=[RPC Fault faultString="Error #1085: The element type "link" must be terminated by the matching end-tag ""." faultCode="Client.CouldNotDecode" faultDetail="null"] messageId=”3D79C15C-6CCA-094E-4C56-8247710C04EC” type=”fault” bubbles=false cancelable=true eventPhase=2]

6. betty kelly says:

Hihow do i save my files as cs3 compatable?thanksbetty[Bob – Choose File > Export and save as Interchange .inx file. See this topic:http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6d51a.html#WSFC3DC36C-D68D-48ac-AD0E-F5306171F9B6

7. Brodie Maxwell says:

Hi Bob, im currently in a discussion with a “web guru” who is saying that it is quicker to do wireframe designs of webpages in photoshop. I of course disagree as indesign is alot quicker for layout and to get initial signoff. If you have the time are you able to fill me in on some good answers to combat this guru. Cheers Brodie[Sounds like a good question for the user forums -www.adobe.com/support/forums - Bob]

8. Patti says:

Thans!I didn’t even know these videos existed.

9. rich says:

Hi Bob,Is it possible to download the videos, the connection I have ‘distorts / disrupts’ the video and audio. ThanksRich[BB - I don't think so. You make a good point, though. I'll suggest it to the video team.]

10. Michelle McTernan says:

Hi Bob,I have a Mac and all of a sudden the pages pallet doesn’t have any master page icons in it. Is there some way to get them back?ThanksMichelle[BB - For this type of question, take advantage of the user forums:www.adobe.com/support/forumsFirst, try dragging the slider near the top of the Pages panel. The slider may have gotten pushed all the way up. If that doesn't work reset preferences by holding down all the modifier keys (Shift+Ctrl+Option+Command) while starting InDesign.]

11. PDM says:

Re: Rich’s request to download video: You used to be able to do this when they were in .mov format. It was very useful to keep these to hand. So come on Adobe allow movies to be downloaded please.[From Bob: I heard you can use Adobe Media Player to download videos. I'll write a blog entry on this once I figure out the steps.]

12. Victor says:

I used to be a great fan of the Adobe Magazine. It was Brilliant and inspiring. Why dont you indesign guys assist us understanding how to create such Serious!

13. Jenn says:

Does anyone know how to insert Japanese text into a document?I am working an a product label and need to add a warning in japanese. Nothing happens when I choose any of the japanese fonts that seem to be installed on the computer. Can anyone help me figure this out?[From Bob: InDesign doesn't have any Japanese versions. There is a special Japanese version of InDesign that includes grids and a bunch of Japanese composition features. Photoshop and Illustrator include a few Japanese composition features that you may want to take advantage of and then import the AI or PSD file into InDesign. If you want to type actual Japanese characters, such as typing "nihongo" to get 秘本後, use your OS. Leave another comment if you want details.By the way, a better place to get questions like this answered is the user forum:www.adobe.com/support/forums-Bob]

14. I’m new to CS3 and using InDesign for a newsletter. I started by trying to adapt one of the templates hoping it would override problems but still get errors (hyperlinks don’t “take”, images don’t show when converting to .PDF). Is there something I’m missing about “idiotproofing” (from myself) so I don’t go off the margins, place text wrong, etc.?[For this kind of question, go to the InDesign user forum:www.adobe.com/support/forums-Bob]

15. Kristin Waldon says:

I am working from a template with masters created in CS3. I am now using CS4. When I export as pdf some of the items on the master move to a different place on the page (up and way to the left). They do not dissappear- they just move and that is where they print. I tried to export as .indx and then export as pdf but I get the same result. When previously saved documents from original template are exported as pdf we get the same result. Help!?[Kristin - Go to the user forum for this type of question:www.adobe.com/support/forums-Bob]

16. Bill Ford says:

Bob,Did you ever get any word back from the video team as to whether they would be willing to make the videos downloadable as they used to be?Did you have the opportunity to confirm whether Adobe Media Player can download the videos? I haven’t seen the blog entry you mention; if you’ve written about this can you provide a URL link here?______________________Bill – I played around with Adobe Media Player, and the process to download videos was too involved, so I gave up because I was busy at the time. I’ll take another look. Thanks for the reminder.

17. bartira says:

very funny, all the links in “Getting Started Videos” either take me to a “PAGE DOES NOT EXIST” or to a black video screen with a “broken” play button. now, is this a prank to beginners?

18. Hi Bob,I downloaded an InDesign trial version.In the “Getting Started 2: Making a text frame” video, Deke McClelland is using a file from “an exercise folder”. Where can I find this folder?Annick

19. K. C. says:

My company upgraded to CS4. I notice the Arial fonts are mishandled. Individual fonts Arial, Arial Narrow and Arial Black are grouped wrong. Arial Narrow and Arial Black are attributes to Arial. Arial Black stands as a font, but only italic. We cannot find information how to remedy this. It is a small thorn making a big hassle. Can you help?

20. cecilia forrest says:

can anybody tell me if a tutorial video exists that demonstrates how to save an Indesign document as an accessible pdf for the visually impaired?Thanks a mill

• Maggie says:

The videos are produced by lynda.com. When you buy the dvd courses that the videos are taken from, the exercise files are included.

21. Nina Barton says:

One of the videos mentioned the Exercise Files folder. Is this folder accessible on the web? Was it put on my computer when I installed CS4?

22. jessica says:

dear bob,i was wondering if you could tell me how to make business card InDesign3. it is for a school project.thank youjessica

23. Bob Bringhurst says:

Hi Jessica. Try the help topic called “Designing calendars and business cards from templates”:http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSb6a5f75765a76f24-12f02d47120f419e8a6-8000.html

24. Bob Bringhurst says:

Which video was it? It may have been a Lynda.com video that was made available to everyone.

25. Bob Bringhurst says:

I’m not aware of a video tutorial, but you can go to learn how to create Accessible PDFs:http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/pdfs/accessibledocswithindesignCS4.pdf

26. Bob Bringhurst says:

For this type of question, go to the user forums:http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_general

27. Bob Bringhurst says:

This site may be available to the public (I can’t test on my work computer):http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=694

28. Bob Bringhurst says:

The server must have been down or flaky that day.

29. Gordon Ryan says:

Bob, I have just acquired ID CS4 after upgrading from Pagemaker 7. Have not used either one for several years. I have created a lengthy, single text block (a novel) and after viewing the proof, need to remark the margins, increasing the top margin about a quarter inch, and extending the bottom margin about three eights. In other words, I need to lower the page text throughout the work. Is there a way I can use a global margin change without having to reflow the text or work each page separately? Thank you for your consideration.Gordon Ryan

30. I like InDesign CS4. And it adds a half dozen or so new or significantly improved features, such as smart guides and improved link management, that will make designers’ lives easier.

31. Sushanta Das says:

HiIs there anyone give solution to put footnoote in a single line (sequence line 99 then 1, not manually) in Indesign CS4?

32. yahoo says:

Can i find some samples of works?

33. bet365 says:

Same here, it looks like all the CS3 videos that you’re linked to are broken, not the links, but the videos themselves.When I click on the link, the video begins buffering, then I get an error. Any chance we could get some good links, please?

34. Great videos! Thanks for sharing!

35. Teri says:

Why don’t I have the “select content” button in my control panel? How do I get it there?

• Bob Bringhurst says:

It should appear when the Selection tool is selected (as opposed to the Type tool). Right-click the control panel to customize it.

36. cafea says:

There are not such important differences in CS4 for CS3. Anyway video tutorials are best. You cannot fail if you watch them step by step.