Installing Subclipse in Flash Builder 4

Subclipse is one of the most frequently used plug-ins with Flash Builder. Here are some simple instructions for installing Subclipse and importing an existing project.

1. Help > Install New Software…
  2. Add…
  3. Name=Subclipse, Location=http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x
  4. Select the plug-ins shown in the screenshot below. Note: I’ve deselected a few plug-ins here in order to minimize plug-in dependencies that sometimes have issues resolving.

subclipse1.png

5. Finish the wizard. When prompted, restart Eclipse.
  6. On Mac, since JavaHL is not available, be sure to select SVNKit for your SVN interface
    1. Window > Preferences
    2. Team > SVN
    3. Change SVN Interface to SVNKit
  7. To import your projects from SVN
    1. File > Import…
    2. SVN > Checkout Projects from SVN
    3. Create or select a repository location
    4. Select your project root folder
    5. Finish

16 Responses to Installing Subclipse in Flash Builder 4

1. Olivier de Jonge says:

Great thanks!Now I want to install HTML and XML support J2EE plugins but I’m not allowed:….Software currently installed: Adobe Flash Builder 4.0.0 (com.adobe.flexbuilder.standalone.product 4.0.0)Only one of the following can be installed at once:Ant Build Tool Core 3.2.100.v20090817_r351 (org.eclipse.ant.core 3.2.100.v20090817_r351)org.eclipse.ant.core 3.1.200.v20070522….Are there any free compatible HTML and XML plugins available?

2. Jason San Jose says:

Which update site are you using? Make sure you’re using the Galileo update site http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/.

3. Ilya says:

4. Dave says:

Very helpful. I had to select “Other” after File > Import in order to find SVN.

Thank you very much!

5. Doron says:

Excellent! very helpful.

6. Will says:

This is all good and well, but Flash Builder constantly recreates the bin-debug folder for AS/Flex projects destroying the .svn folder inside. This makes the bin-debug folder impossible to version. Does Adobe have any plans on fixing this? It’s extremely frustrating.

• Jason San Jose says:

This is intentional. bin-debug should only contain derived files (compiled or otherwise copied from elsewhere) and is not intended to be versioned. You can right click on bin-debug, open properties, and uncheck the Derived property. This should allow Subclipse to pick it up for version control, but this is not typically recommended. Server projects are a different story if you have server-specific resources in your bin-debug folder.

7. Justin says:

Running Flash Builder 4, Mac OS X 10.6.2

I followed the instructions and have had to uninstall and install 3 times now. I keep getting the same error message when I try and connect to our company svn url.

***** error dialog message *****

“Problem Occurred”
    An internal error occurred during: “Fetching children of [our_SVN_url]”.
    Unable to locate a login configuration

***** error dialog message *****

I am still able to connect to the same svn url using Flex 3 with no issues.

8. Ryan Cannon says:

I had projects in Flash Builder already under version control, but Subclipse wasn’t recognizing them. I simply closed and opened the projects and that resolved the issue.

9. Hi,

I have a problem with committing ‘bin’ folder on Flash Builder Burrito. (ActionScript Project) Html Wrapper is not checked. I’m using flash player debugger. And i want to commit ‘bin’ folder. How does it work?

Thanks,
    Alper

10. Thanks! Very helpful instructions. Worked perfectly in my fresh install of FB 4 Premium 🙂

Erik

11. Hurka A Majas says:

Thanks! I installed it! 🙂

12. Arne Bedürftig says:

This does not work for me … SVN is not available for me after all.

13. Sunny says:

Great and easy.
    Thanks. It saved me a lot of time from resolving unnecessary dependencies.

14. Scott says:

Thanks for the tutorial, really helped. But the problem I have is Flash Builder now won’t do any of its code hinting. Do you know what the problem could be?