Java Development in Flash Builder 4 Standalone

Question: How can I edit Java code inside Flash Builder?

I’ve seen this question a quite few times on the forums. For users new to Eclipse and/or Flash Builder, it’s not immediately obvious. The short story is that since Flash Builder is based on Eclipse, users get the benefit of the Eclipse plug-in ecosystem. The classic Eclipse distribution is widely known for it’s Java IDE.

Here’s the step-by-step guide to installing the Java Development Tools (JDT) provided by Eclipse:

1) Open Flash Builder
2) Help > Install New Software…
3) At the top of the dialog, click “Add…” to add an update site URL
4) Specify any name and this URL http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/. Press OK.
5) In the table of features, expand “Programming Languages” and select “Eclipse Java Development Tools”
6) Finish the wizard

You’ll be prompted to restart Flash Builder when installation is complete. From here, if you want to jump right into Java development, I recommend you switch perspectives (Window > Perspective > Other > Java). This configures the workbench window so that Java-related actions are the primary focus.

Click here for more information about Java development in Eclipse.

10 Responses to Java Development in Flash Builder 4 Standalone

1. Ganesh Gandhi says:

Hi ,

Thanks 🙂

It’s works Good….

2. Wow, you probably can’t imagine the time this would have saved me if I knew it before.
    It’s nice to be able to install it if you have it standalone (which I do).

Thanks. I’ll test it.

3. Thanks for share this tip.

It’s good to use the standalone version with java.

4. agusti canedo says:

hi.

5. Will says:

Hi,
    I am trying to install the plugin for Flash Builder 4.5 on a mac and I tried this plugin and I get

“Cannot complete the request. See the error log for details.”

… can’t seem to find the logs… but perhaps that’s a different question especially if I have to install or download some sdk stuff first..

My java is bit rusty … mostly working in flex and actionscript these days… but more over I’m kind of a noob on macs and have never installed the whole enchilada (mysql, tomcat, apache) on a mac so I come seeking

1. Good tutorial about setting up Flash builder to Work with Java sdk and J2EE …

2. Does any one know any good tutorials about setting up java, tomcat, and mysql on mac

Any help or advice would be much appreciated…Thanks

Over and Out
    Will

6. Thanks for this.
    I was able to install it but could not see Java in the Window > Perspective > Other > Java.
    Any info?

7. Madan says:

Thanks,

I was breaking my head to find this solution,

8. Omar says:

Thanks for sharing this. I use BlazeDS as the back-end application, so I don’t need only Java, I need something like the WTP so that I can create a dynamic web project. My question is will this be included in “Eclipse Java Development Tools” package? and if not then how can I install the WTP? and if I installed the WPT, will this include the Java tools?

Thanks in advance
    Omar

9. Greg Bishop says:

Omar, you can do that by including the Java EE Developer Tools.