“FLASH IS OFFICIALLY DEAD”

Doing the usual news searches, came across a headline with above title, but kept on being redirected to various reprints… Google Websearch shows many hits, all low-value.

Going to what appears to be the canonical link, the story in whole seems to be the headline: “FLASH IS OFFICIALLY DEAD: This super interactive Nissan Leaf site is all HTML5.” The whole is linked to this Nissan USA site, which in my current FF/Win comes up as Flash, baby.

Takeaways? Flash doesn’t seem as “dead” as do for-pay bloggers and the whole weblog news culture. Look at the noise they generated, on how little thought! Look at how few costs they pay in return for increasing all readers’ costs! Look at what has been done to search engine results! And look at how the bloated Business Insider sites so frequently fail to complete loading, as they make unnecessary third-party calls to doubleclick.com, yieldmanager.com, pubmatic.com, tacoda.net, adnxs.com, sailthru.com, facebook.net, insightexpressai.com, openx.com, twitter.com, fbcdn.net, and many many more cross-site tracking web beacons.

Hot headline, startlingly poor observation, no real argument, no feedback mechanism, but lots of slammin’ the SEO and social media channels with self-serving, public-penalizing bloviation… the writer makes a good case that it’s the web which he’s actually killing.

9 Responses to “FLASH IS OFFICIALLY DEAD”

1. Rich Morey says:

Hey —

I’m a Flex / Flash developer but just thought you should know that if you visit the Nissa USA site you linked to with Chrome the page is all HTML5, no Flash.

Rich

• John Dowdell says:

Thanks, Rich… I figured that there may have been some HTML version for iThings, but the writer not only missed that the Flash version is used for what’s normally considered “an HTML5 browser”, but also had no clarifying text, no real feedback mechanism, no real identity even… just miles and miles of propagandistic SEO expertise for his beacon-laden headline.

Rephrased, he might have seen something nice in HTML, but he sure didn’t substantiate his headline. Makes it look like the Twitter/Techmeme/GoogleNews trio really is the thing that’s dead here.

2. Russ Ferguson says:

I was just looking in Safari/MAC it looks like html…until you get to the video.

3. George says:

Yeah. Turn off Flash in Chrome, only very very basic animation left.

4. immagimario says:

Flash is not dead because most browsers are not entirely compatible with HTML5. But even more importantly it is the cost of production among the two different technologies. In addition, the final specifications for HTML 5 will be available by the W3C in 2015.

5. TJ Downes says:

people need to just stop arguing the point. I understand that working at Adobe is something to be proud of, and that you have a lot of loyalty to the product. But constantly rehashing the “Flash is dead” argument just looks bad.

My skills as a Flash application developer are more in demand now than they ever have been. When people tell me Flash is dead I smile. I’d love to see HTML5 get to the point that I can build the quality apps I am building now, but I know from experience that I’ll be building Flash apps for some time.

So I’ll continue to smile when people decide they want to argue HTML5 vs Flash. You should too 🙂

• John Dowdell says:

There’s a lot for us all to learn now… never before have we had all humans connected with handheld displays. Polluting the infosphere with unsupported propaganda encouraging false conflicts is an expensive habit.

• TJ Downes says:

Hey John, I couldn’t agree with you more. But fighting propaganda isn’t an easy task, and often has the opposite result of what you might expect.

6. Hugh Elliott says:

The people that built that site (Critical Mass Calgary) spoke at FiTC Edmonton last year. Their presentation was on the construction of that site.