Welcome to the Flash documentation blog

Hello and welcome to the new Flash documentation blog. Just a quick introduction before we get going. I’ve been around the Flash community for awhile, and started writing books on Flash a few years ago. I started the website www.flash-mx.com (we still blog there too), a forum www.flashmx2004.com, and submitted a number of Developer Center articles and tutorials. So in addition to writing, I use (and love) Flash.

After writing full time for a few years, I started contracting as a technical writer for Macromedia (for the 7.2 updater release) and moved from Calgary to San Francisco about 6 weeks ago to start working at Macromedia full time. This city (and the green-colored Macromedia basement) are great places to hang out.

So the purpose of this blog is to do the following:

– listen to feedback on the current documentation structure and content (of course!)
– listen to what you want to see in future documentation (particular examples and so on)
– elaborate upon certain elements of the documentation (such as explaining how some of the Help Example FLA files were built… have you found them yet?)
– demonstrate bits of new documentation you might not have seen yet
– answer and address FAQs (from feedback on the LiveDocs system)

Big thanks to Mike Chambers for setting up this blog, and I look forward to hearing your feedback and sharing ideas.

10 Responses to Welcome to the Flash documentation blog

1. EMA says:

MAN BARAYE SHOMA MIKHAM WEBLOGE KHEILI KHOBI RO BESAZAM KE AZSH DIDAN KONID VA HALESHO BEBARID?OK OK IS GOOD

2. it would be nice if one day the undocumented namespace methods/properties would be documented, or if there would be an official word from macromedia on why they are not documented:- prefix- localName- namespaceURI- getPrefixForNamespace(namespaceURI)- getNamespaceForPrefix(prefix)

3. Martin says:

You left Cowtown for San Fran just to work for Macromedia?! Now that’s got to be dedication. Good luck();

4. Hey Jen – it was great to meet you at MAX, and I’m glad to see there’s an official source for documentation complaints/suggestions/etc. I look forward to contributing in whatever way I can.

5. Josh Dura says:

Congrats Jen! A well deserved position. Glad to see that the documentation will be in good hands (not that it wasn’t already).

6. Dave Wight says:

Jen you rock.

7. LarryP says:

Jen…does this mean you won’t be writing any more books??? :(The documentation has improved tremendously since 2004 came out a year ago! I’m sure you had a lot to do with that! Thanks! See you in THE forums…!!

8. jdehaan says:

Thanks everyone! I will look into the namespace issue (& file a bug).LarryP (aka: awesomeForumMod): That’s correct – no more books, except for the ones that have already been written. One is older material that will be revised/updated by other people. Another book was written this summer, printed, and might be available next week.The good news (maybe!) is that everything I do is now free 🙂

9. Sebastian says:

I don’t understand why the documentation for the eventDispatcher class is limited to components. It is such a great functionality for general use. I should be documented more. AsBroadcast should also be documented.

10. i need a job,any job acept from drogs.maybe like house keeping and food service or cashier or office job.