by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

September 14, 2010

As we were returning from the highlands, we crossed a vast area of mudflatsOnce again, I was reminded that everything in Iceland is intimately connected with water. I have to admit, I did have a sudden craving for chocolate.

There was "chocolate" mud as far as you could walk.

There were an endless number of textures - as far as you could see.

It was almost impossible to decide where to start.

It was almost impossible to decide where to start making images. I had to remind myself to slow down and think - to compose the frame and watch the light. The light moving in and out of the clouds was spectacular.

Watching you step (so as not to ruin the patterns) was difficult. Well, actually there were miles of mudflats, but still, I didn't want to ruin the "perfect" image with my own footprint.

Watching you step (so as not to ruin the patterns) seemed very difficult.

In reality. there were miles of mudflats, but I didn't want to ruin the "perfect" image with my own footprint.

In reality, there were miles of mudflats. Still, I didn't want to be the one to ruin the "perfect" image with my own footprint.

Reluctantly we had to leave each location at some point. I could have stayed there for days.

Reluctantly we had to leave each location at some point. I could have walked in the mud for days.

COMMENTS

• By Arnel Garcia - 9:13 AM on September 14, 2010

So many very interesting patterns and textures. Great captures, and I am looking forward to seeing them in your composites.

• By Marty Cohen - 9:50 AM on September 14, 2010

These are wonderful images. Thank you for posting them. I hope you’ll put them into your website portfolio so we can see larger versions.
    Marty

• By Liz - 10:55 AM on September 14, 2010

Love, love them! Especially the first set that look almost like ice crystals!

• By Andy Bobyarchick - 8:34 PM on September 14, 2010

This is a great set of images. I am a geologist and teach at a university. The amazing thing is that the features you see here are ephermeral, destroyed and created daily by tides, waves, and sediment. Each time they are a bit different. Great images for teaching.

• By Jan Kabili - 10:15 PM on September 15, 2010

These are fantastic. They should provide fodder for some amazing of your gorgeous collages.

• By svala Olafsdottir - 5:22 PM on September 16, 2010

Wow, Juleanne, it looks like we have to take a trip together to Iceland sometime sooooooon

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:06 AM on September 17, 2010

Yes, please! I can not wait to return. Your country is stunning and I think I’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg (as they say)! : )

• By Tina Carter - 9:44 PM on September 17, 2010

These are absolutely exquisite. Wow, oh, wow!