by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

September 21, 2010

Installing the OpenAsLayer script will allow you to open a file and have Photoshop CS5 automatically promote the background into a layer AND rename that layer the same as the file name. (This works for the Open command, opening  files through Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw). Special thanks to Thomas Ruark at Adobe for creating and sharing this script!

Copy the script into the Photoshop CS5 folder / Presets / Scripts / Event Scripts Only
Launch Photoshop CS5

Select File > Scripts > Script Events Manager

In the Script Events Manager dialog box:
Click to enable “Enable Events to Run Scripts/Actions:”
For Photoshop Event: use the drop down to select “Open Document”
In the Script drop down select “OpenAsLayer”
Click the Add button (it should show up in the upper list box)
Click the Done button

Open your document. In the Layers palette, the Background has been changed to a layer and renamed the document name. Note: This script will have no effect on documents that do not have a background layer.

COMMENTS

• By Ben Wilson - 6:56 PM on September 30, 2010

Thanks for inspirations. Script doesn’t seem to be working after install. I have re-opened PS, but when I open new doc, background layer is still present. Idea on what I am missing?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:59 PM on September 30, 2010

Can you tell me if you’re on Windows or mac, your operating system and what version of Photoshop you’re using? THanks, j

• By Carlos - 10:27 AM on December 3, 2010

I was just looking for a way to do this for a friend. Thanks a lot for the information and for your simple yet precise explanation.

• By Joshua Thomas - 2:18 PM on December 15, 2010

Brilliant! This is exactly what we were looking for. Any guess how to make the script exclude the file extension when changing the layer name to the file name? Thx.

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:06 PM on December 16, 2010

Thomas just created another version based on your request I will blog about it in one moment!

• By Rene Damkot - 5:09 AM on July 13, 2011

Isn’t this script already standard in PS? I have it installed with PSCS4…

• By Juliana Grigorova - 10:40 AM on October 25, 2012

Were I can OpenAsLayer script that works in SC 6?

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:00 AM on November 5, 2012

I just tested this scrips with PSCS6 and it works for me (Mac OS 10.7.5, PS 13.0.1).