by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

December 24, 2010

There are times when you may have imported multiple folders into Lightroom yet can not see the parent folder (the folder higher up on the hierarchical structure). For example, you may see your 2008, 2009, and 2010 folders but not the Photographs folder that they are contained in. If this is the case,  to display the parent (Photographs folder), Control (Mac), right mouse (Win) -click the 2008 folder in the Folder panel and choose  “Add Parent Folder”. Technically you aren’t really “adding” a folder, but asking Lightroom to display the parent folder that already exists on your drive.

Now, if you have the opposite dilemma, where you have too many levels of folders showing, you can Control (Mac), right mouse (Win) -click the top most (parent) folder and select Promote Subfolder to remove the parent folder and promote the child folder(s).This will move the child folder(s) one indentation to the right.

COMMENTS

• By Tim Ray - 7:35 AM on June 11, 2012

Is there a way to force Lightroom to display the parent folder by default for all imports? It seems like it used to do this for me until I upgraded (to 3.6 I think?) and now it seems I have to manually tell it to show the parent folder each time I import.

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:13 AM on June 11, 2012

Would it work to simply select one folder up (the parent folder) when importing? My organization structure is pretty simple Year > Location) so I don’t have to worry about a new parent folder being displayed each time (because the parent folder is always the year). I imagine that your structure is more complicated?

• By DON BERG - 7:09 PM on July 23, 2012

I have a “child” with the same name as the “parent”. I want to move the folders under the child (i will call them grandchildren) to the parent folder. Since both have the same name it seems I cannot move the “grandchildren” to the status of “child”
    2012
    6-01-12
    2012
    6-02-2012
    I want to eliminate the child 2012 so falls under the 6-02-2012 is a child to the first 2012 rather than the grandchild. :-) HELP!

• By Julieanne Kost - 5:11 PM on July 25, 2012

Just drag the 6-02-2012 folder into the top 2012 folder. Then you will be able to delete the duplicate 2012 folder.

• By Gary Morrolf - 10:03 AM on February 2, 2013

I am trying to eliminate a parent and grandparent folder without deleting the child
    grandchild folder. For example:

Digital
    Sony
    2002

I would like to eliminate the ‘Digital’ and ‘Sony’ folders with deleting the 2002 folder.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:29 AM on February 4, 2013

in the Folders panel in Lightroom 4, Control -click (Mac) / Right Mouse -click (Win) on the Digital folder and choose “Hide this Parent”. THen do the same on the Sony folder.