by Julieanne Kost

Comments (10)

Created

January 31, 2011

By default, the Crop tool in the Adobe Camera Raw dialog box is designed to crop to a chosen aspect ratio rather than a specific size.   To define a specific size select “Custom…” from the Crop tool drop down menu and choose from Pixels, Inches or Centimeters. To define the resolution, click on the  Workflow Options at the bottom of the ACR dialog box and enter the desired resolution. Now you can open a file that is a specific height, width and resolution as oppose to simply an aspect ratio.

COMMENTS

• By Mark - 7:24 AM on February 21, 2011

Where does the symbol for crop tool come from?

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:30 AM on February 24, 2011

The crop icon in Photoshop is based on a manual cropping tool. Here is an example.

• By Paul Tumason - 12:11 PM on May 23, 2011

Hi Julieanne
    In camera Raw
    I’m trying to save a custom crop (1:2) in camera raw dialogue. I use this ratio a lot. But it disappears after I switch to anther crop, requiring me to set it up again.

• By Wanetta Grohs - 11:59 PM on April 9, 2012

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

• By Jason - 6:22 PM on July 13, 2013

Did the ability to specify size for cropping go away with a certain CS version? I’m launching Camera Raw from Bridge CS6 and the custom cropping option doesn’t let me specify pixels or anything other than aspect ratio.

• By Julieanne Kost - 5:18 PM on July 15, 2013

You can set the aspect ratio using the crop tool and then use the workflow settings to determine the exact size (or in the Save Image button).

• By kate - 10:56 AM on July 22, 2013

wedding photographer here, who uses bridge to batch prep files i want to crop to 5x7print output. I cannot seem to batch crop to 5×7@300 dpi. from bridge/camera raw in cs4. i used to be able to select 5x7inches and then crop horizontal as well as verticles within one batch. now in cs6 i can only batch crop verticles only OR horizontals only because i can only specify the width and height in the workflow dialogue box after using the “5 to 7″ aspect ratio crop tool ?

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:49 PM on August 5, 2013

IN the workflow settings, select Long or Short side to process both horizontal and vertical images at one time.

• By Greg - 7:59 PM on September 5, 2013

Hi Julieanne… would you be able to be more specific? I am shooting with at 5D Mark II. My image size is 5616×3744. I would like to crop my photo but keep this image size. Which aspect ratio would I choose and where/what in the workflow settings would I make the change? I am using ACR 8.1.0.43 Thanks!