by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

May 5, 2011

Lightroom has several different ways to tag images including flags, star ratings and color labels. Both the star ratings and color labels are global settings. If for example, you apply a star rating to an image in a folder, that star will travel with the image if you add the image to a Collection or Publish Services. The Flag tag (or attribute), on the other hand is specific to the folder/collection/publish services in which it is assigned. This “localized flagging” feature was designed so that you could flag images within a folder/collection/publish services independently of the other image’s other locations and so that you could then use that flag to further filter the images – to play for example, only a subcollection of images in a slideshow at any given time. The feature can, however cause unexpected results if you didn’t know that was the way that flags were designed to work.

COMMENTS

• By Jim - 7:23 AM on May 5, 2011

Interesting. I thought both were only local. I don’t generally flag or star my images, I only assign colors.

• By Ny photog - 10:42 AM on May 16, 2011

Hmm, I didn’t realize that flags worked in this manner, but this actually suits very well the way that I’ve used them in my workflow.

• By Aaron Rothschild - 12:45 PM on May 16, 2011

I didn’t realize this…question I have now:

I have flagged several images while they are not in a collection (while viewing “all photos”). I have now placed those images into a collection.

How do I flag the images that are now in the collection (and are unflagged) – to be flagged again? or do i have to re-flag them all manually?

Is there any way to “copy” the flag settings for images into the collection?

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:37 AM on May 17, 2011

I would select the photos in the collection and tap the “P” key to flag them there. There is not a preference that I know of that will “carry” a flag from a folder to a collection.

• By Ken Leaman - 3:35 PM on December 31, 2011

Suggestion:
      1] from a set of images with MIXED flags, colour the Picks
      2] make your Collection from the images in [1]
      3] use a Filter to select the coloured images in [2]
      4] apply the Pick flag to all of the images in [3]
      5] remove the colour from the images in [4]

• By jim - 5:57 PM on June 5, 2012

OK, now that this feature has been ruined in LR4, is there any way to bring back the old behavior?