by Julieanne Kost
Here are a few shortcuts and explanations for working with the Tone Curve panel.
• When using the Tone Curve, clicking on the curve and dragging up/down makes the image lighter/darker by moving the corresponding slider displayed below the curve (Highlights, Lights, Darks, and Shadows). To change the “tonal range” affected of any of these sliders, reposition the triangles directly under the curve.
• Instead of using the Curve in the panel, you can choose to click -drag up/down within the preview area of an image with Targeted Adjustment Tool (it’s icon is the small circle in upper left of the panel) to increase/decrease the value of the pixels clicked upon.
• Escape puts the Targeted Adjustment Tool back (while keeping changes that have been made).
• Clicking the Point Curve icon in the lower right of the Tone Cure panel enables the placement of multiple targeted points on the curve.
• The Targeted Adjustment Tool works with either the point or parametric Tone Curve.