by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

November 29, 2011

In the Library module, holding the Option (Mac) | Alt (Win) key toggles the Import and Export buttons (at the bottom of the panels) to “Import Catalog” and “Export Catalog”.

COMMENTS

• By Arnold Hoddevik - 6:05 AM on November 29, 2011

I freequently use å laptop in addition to my computer at home. Once, I imported a group of photos from one shoot to the laptop, adjusted them in Lightroom. Then I eksported them as a Catalog, to get the adjustments over to my home computer, where I imported the photos from Catalog.
    Next time I connected the camera CF-card, the previous photos colud be imported again. Lightroom did not suspect duplicates the same way as when photos are imported from the card. How can that be?

Also, a friend of mine were importing av portrait/landscape mix of scanned photos, but all the portrait photos did not show in Library. How can that be? She sent me a few, and I did the import without any problems, std jpeg files and no errors.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:15 AM on November 29, 2011

Could it be that you have renamed the files or have converted them to DNG? If so, Lightroom might not suspect that they are duplicates.

I don’t know why your friend isn’t able to import the JPEG scans, but you might want to try posting the issue here to see if it’s a known issue or if anyone else has had the same problem:

or you can search the LR help and support site:

• By Arnold Hoddevik - 2:34 PM on November 30, 2011

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I ususally convert to DNG on import during import, and I also rename. I like to do it that way, even thou I reject a lot of photos during the rest of the workflow. But I can also see the benefits with your way to do this. However, next time I insert the card with the same and also new photos on it, LR detects the duplicates, and remove the checkbox we use to mark for import.

Therefor, I thought it was an interesting observation to notice that this did not work when the photos were imported from a catalog that came from my laptop and the card with the same photos were connectd later on. I need to investigate how this “suspected duplicate-thing” really works.
    Regards, Arnold

• By Arnold Hoddevik - 6:16 AM on December 2, 2011

Now I know more about the “not imported” photos. All the photos, both landscape and portrait were imported. For some unknown, peculiar reason the portrait photos missed the metadata “Capture date”. Because of this, they were stored in a different folder, dated the same date as Last deited. Of course, this was logical, but why only the portrait photos were missing the Captyre date is a well hidden mystery – so far.

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:08 AM on December 2, 2011

Thanks for posting your discoveries and sharing the information. Let me know if you find out why the images were missing (or how they lost) their capture date…

• By gary faye - 9:07 PM on July 17, 2012

Hi
    1st, These tutorials have not been playing for over a month on my Safari ( Lion 10.7.4 ). None of them. They used to play but now they don’t.

2. How can I move a folder already in the Lightroom 4 catalog to a new location ? E.G. another HD. Do you use “export ? or the “Import” mode plus ” move” ?. I know you can drag & drop within LR4 but is that the only way ?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:39 AM on July 18, 2012

This video should help with moving and archiving files and folders:

Skip to 4:30 and watch how I create a new folder to archive an image to a new drive. Of course you don’t have to be archiving your images, you can simply move them and continue to work with them – but the principle is the same for both.