by Julieanne Kost

Comments (6)

Created

December 23, 2011

Recently I received a question from a customer asking why some of his panoramas would import into Lightroom yet others did not. As it turns out, if you are working with panoramas (or any images) that are greater thanĀ  65000 pixels (on the long side) they are too large for Lightroom.

COMMENTS

• By Bryan - 3:21 AM on January 3, 2012

i didn’t know there was a limit but i guess when coding any software you have to put in a range and as the files from my 1D are only around 5,000 you would have thought that the megapixel madness wouldn’t get close to 65,000 but i had never considered bringing composited images back in.
    Is the problem still there when the files have round tripped out of lightroom through the likes of photoshop to be made into a panoramic?

• By Jami - 1:36 PM on September 22, 2012

It is very disappointing that I cannot stitch any panorama shots together with my Nikon D800 because there is too much data! The workaround suggested by JK doesn’t work. When going to Photo>Edit In> none of the options are active (dimmed) such that there are no choices available.

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:44 AM on September 24, 2012

Jami, I’m not sure that I understand. If you have more than one image selected, the menu items should be available to merge to panorama.

• By thomas - 1:09 PM on December 8, 2012

Hi Julieanne !

I watched your video about exporting to CS from LR and your example with the panorama.

First problem is exporting in Prophoto as adviced by LR, gives me purple blues. Fixed by exporting Srgb.

Second problem is when i merge the pics from LR into CS and try to save the panorama, it’s always too big and i get error messages (4go for a TIFF and 2Go for a PSD).

Panoramas are big, so if there is a limit it’s definitely too low. If it’s me that is doing something wrong i would appreciate some enlightenment…

(sorry my comment is not 100% relevant to this entry, but i figured it’s still pano/LR related)

Thanks in advance !

• By Julieanne Kost - 3:29 PM on December 11, 2012

I can suggest 2 things – either export the files at a smaller size before creating the panorama and then stitch them together (this might be faster), or create the panorama as you are doing (this might be slower) and then use Image Size to resize the image and make it with in the Photoshop file size limit.

• By thomas - 1:35 PM on December 16, 2012

Thanks for your answer

I really can’t explain why i did that but i randomly try saving as psb and it worked.