by Julieanne Kost

Comments (23)

Created

January 9, 2012

I’m excited to present 8 new videos on Lightroom 4 Beta!

• Introduction to Lightroom 4 Beta- Join Adobe Digital Imaging Evangelist Julieanne Kost as she discusses what will be covered in this series of Lightroom 4 Beta tutorials.

• Develop Module Advancements- This episode covers some of the new features in the Develop Module and Basic Panel of Lightroom 4 Beta including major improvements to image processing.

• Soft Proofing and DNG Enhancements – Learn some of the great ways  Lightroom 4 Beta allows you to soft proof your images. Also in this episode, Julieanne covers improvements to the way Lightroom handles the Digital Negative Format.

• Working with DSLR Video - Learn how the new Lightroom 4 Beta will work with and share video clips.

• Mapping Your Photos – Discover how Lightroom 4 Beta allows you to sort and manage your images based on where the pictures were originally taken via the new map Module.

• Book Module Basics - In this first of 3 videos, Julieanne Kost gives an overview of the new Book Module in Lightroom 4 Beta release, which allows you to layout and print books from Lightroom.

• Modifying Book Layouts - This episode shows you how you can customize your book layout in the new Lightroom 4 Beta.

• Advanced Book Features – This episode covers more features of the Book Module in the Lightroom 4 Beta including different ways to work with captions and templates.

To download Lightroom 4 Beta, click here.

To participate in the forums, click here.

If you prefer a simple list of new features, click here.

Enjoy!

COMMENTS

• By Pankaj - 10:06 AM on January 10, 2012

How much LR4 would cost when upgrading from LR3?

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:35 AM on January 10, 2012

I do not believe that Adobe has announced pricing.

• By Luis Macedo - 11:34 AM on January 10, 2012

Excellent introduction videos…
    great help to get started on this beta…
    so far i think it’s a real good improvement on LR 3.
    Very nice!
    Thanks!

• By Fergal - 12:37 PM on January 10, 2012

Looks great. Shame I just got an LR3 license for Christmas! Curses!

• By Greg Boyer - 1:04 PM on January 10, 2012

I have really enjoyed your series of post. I just wanted to thank you for them. I tried Lightroom from the beginning and stopped with ver. 2. I did not like the interface, the dark colors, small fonts. There was no way to change these that I could find. This was not addressed in ver.3. I had hoped it would be addressed in ver.4. No luck. Some great features, but if I can’t see what I’m working on or have to strain to see my work area, I’d rather not. So until Adobe makes the interface easier to use I will not be upgrading.
    Thank you again for all your great tutorials (Photoshop tutorials that is, as I don’t use LR :-) ).
    Best Regards.

• By Meghan - 4:34 AM on February 15, 2012

You can change all of the interface options in LR3.

• By JMB - 8:38 PM on January 10, 2012

Would love to see some pro level work done on the cataloging a la Media Pro.

Could the book-making template export to InDesign?? … as a way to rough in a book idea, and take the good ones to the next level easily?

Portfolio apps for Pads are the rage …. could the book module have a portfolio template to export to a “Pad” portfolio app …. maybe even with smart folders that auto update from Lightroom to the portfolio app … keep my portfolio up to date … and send it off as a PDF … and print it as a book ….. today.

• By Przemek - 7:40 AM on January 11, 2012

Great videos! I’m just going to test it tonight!

• By bill - 10:59 AM on January 11, 2012

Congratulations. Will check out LR4 later today.

Is it in the cards to have some sort of export-to-Copyright functionality that manages the preparation and deposit with eCo at copyright.gov? It would be nice to have that integrated within Lightroom.

• By klaus - 12:17 AM on January 12, 2012

Julieanne,

Thanks for providing those great videos.

Will Develop presets created with LR3 function the same way in LR4 as they did in LR3?
    What Effect has the 2012 Engine on presets created with LR versions older than LR4

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:41 AM on January 12, 2012

From this thread: http://www.facebook.com/lightroom/posts/10150524309483464

The controls that have changed in Lr 4 between PV 2010 and 2012 are:
    Exposure
    Recovery
    Fill Light
    Blacks
    Brightness
    Contrast
    Clarity
    Point Curve

Of these, Brightness, Recovery, and Fill Light from 2010 are gone in 2012.

The other controls (e.g., white balance, vibrance, saturation, parametric curves, HSL, split toning, convert to B&W, etc.) have not changed.

I mention this list so that you have an idea of which presets need to be adapted. In other words, presets that only referred to HSL adjustments, split toning, post-crop vignette, grain, etc. should work the same between 2010 and 2012. They don’t need to be converted.

However, presets that use any of the controls in the bullet list may need to be tweaked to work in 2012.

I would suggest the Beta forum as the key location for this discussion as there are technical aspects of preset migration that the dev team will address before shipping.

• By Charles Koelsch - 8:42 AM on January 12, 2012

After viewing your informative videos, I am laying out a book in that module. My book is in distinct sections, each relating to a specific subject. Is there a way to bring in a new collection into an existing saved book? I don’t want to scroll through hundreds of photos but rather just the ones pertaining to the section of the book I am working on.

heers

• By Julieanne Kost - 5:54 PM on January 12, 2012

The easiest way would be to return to the LIbrary and add your images to the saved book project by dragging and dropping them.

• By Don Temple - 10:37 PM on January 13, 2012

I’ve purchased Lightroom since version 1 but I guess version 3.6 will be the last. Let’s forget for the moment the new hardware costs involved. I’m running XP and have NO plans to move to Windows 7 and especially VISTA because of older devices (HP laser printers, software I’ve updated online and no CD, etc. Thanks for cutting me off at the knees by not allowing XP users to take advantages of improvements in any future software. I hope you don’t do the same with CS6!!

• By Terry J Pratt - 1:54 PM on January 20, 2012

Is this an upgrade from 3.6? Or a NEW version. I have 3.6 so is the “upgrade” cheaper then not having any LR?

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:57 PM on January 20, 2012

Terry, yes, Lightroom 4 will be an upgrade when it ships. Currently it is only in Beta. We have not announced pricing but the upgrade price will be lower than purchasing a full version. I hope that helps.

• By harmishhk - 5:10 AM on February 6, 2012

so you are stuck with google maps, right? why not bing maps?

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:12 AM on February 6, 2012

Yes, we are working with Google maps. If you would like to make a suggestion (Bing, for example) please feel free to post it here so that the product managers can see it: http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom4/ Thanks!

• By Knobs, Hinges, Knockers - 12:41 PM on February 7, 2012

Bing maps are coming as a new source for quality maps which is good

• By Dee Dee - 10:02 AM on February 10, 2012

I want to join the band wagon of compliments on Lightroom 4 and particularly your well done videos. I had not yet upgraded to Lightroom 3 and am very impressed with the additions in 4.
    I am most interested in the Book feature. However, I think it’s missing some pieces. There doesn’t seem to be the ability to add frames to the photos, unless they already exist in one of the preset layouts. Secondly, I find the set layouts limiting in that I cannot change the size of the photo areas or rearrange/move them. Photos can only be “zoomed to fit” or “zoomed to fill.” I also cannot add a text box. While apparently some of this can be done in the Print mode, why should I have to switch over to it, if the goal is to create ease in bookmaking?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:23 AM on February 11, 2012

Hi DeeDee, thank you for your feedback. THe best place to post this would be the Lightroom Forums: http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom4/
      You are correct that the book module is template driven, but you can use the CEll panel to change the padding of any type and photo cell. For example, you can choose the full page layout or add a page caption and use the cell padding to place your type almost anywhere on the page. I hope that helps.

• By James - NYC Wedding Photographer - 11:13 AM on March 8, 2012

Great vidoes helping us get up and running with the new Lightroom 4. As a wedding photographer we use Lightroom to edit thousands of photos. Great to see the constant improvements by Adobe.