by Julieanne Kost

Comments (13)

Created

January 23, 2012

• In the Folder panel, you can now move and/or delete multiple folders at one time.

• In the Collection panel, Option -drag (Mac) | Alt -drag (Win) a collection to duplicate it. More specifically, if the collection is loose (it’s not in a Collection Set), Option -drag (Mac) | Alt -drag (Win) until a thicker line appear between two items (indicating that the collection will be duplicated), and release.  To duplicate a collection within a Collection Set or to duplicate the collection into a different Collection Set, Option -drag (Mac) | Alt -drag (Win)  the collection on top of the Collection Set icon (watch for the highlight) and release.

• Stacking is now available in Collections.

• At the top of the Filmstrip bar, the selected image’s folder or collection is displayed. (This is really handy when in other modules.)

• The Flag attribute is now global.

• You can filter and/or search images based on their Metadata status. Images will be assigned one of several different statuses including Changed on Disk, Conflict Detected, Has Been Changed, Unknown and/or Up to Date).

• You can also search/filter on Map Locations and GPS Data (GPS Location or No GPS Location).

• That folder structure that you carefully crafted in the Develop module to hold your presets is now maintained both in the Import dialog box as well as the Quick Develop panel.

COMMENTS

• By Ron - 6:25 AM on January 23, 2012

In LR4 is it now possible to filter based on Exposure Bias? This would be a big help in HDR

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:35 AM on January 23, 2012

Great suggestion – Would you post it here so that engineers and other customers can comment? Thanks!

• By Michael B - 9:53 AM on October 18, 2012

I use; Jeffrey’s “Extended Search” Lightroom Plugin

I often do HDR for landscapes but still want to maybe post/work on the average exposure photo (suach as if there was too much ghosting because of movement but I still want to use the photo. So I will use his plug-in to quickly search for and select photos with a 0 EV and then move them to where ever I need. Very quick and easy.

• By Chris - 6:39 AM on January 23, 2012

Julieanne, has the performance of moving folders been sped up? Right now on LR 3.6 (and before) it’s painfully slow, to the point where I have taken to doing it outside of LR and then pointing LR to the new location.

What I’m doing is moving a folder from my main catalog on my PC drive to an external backup drive (to which I’ve already backed up the folder). So I delete the folder on my PC through the OS, and then point LR to the same folder on the external drive. Much faster…although I know I’m *supposed* to do all changes in LR so the DB can maintain itself.

Chris

• By jim - 6:23 PM on June 5, 2012

Why was local/global flags not offered as an option? Does Adobe think we are all dumb enough not to understand the difference? This is infuriating – I cannot possibly upgrade unless this is fixed, it totally destroys my workflow.

• By Natalie W - 6:14 PM on June 9, 2012

When I try do duplicate a collection is simple seems to move it. I am holing Alt (I am Win) and moving the collection but it does not duplicate. I am in the Library Module. Is there something I am doing wrong?

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:50 AM on June 11, 2012

When you alt-drag a collection to make a copy, if the collection isn’t in a set, you need to make sure that you see the solid line with the circle on the left (that appears between collections) before releasing the mouse. If you’re collection is in a Set, then alt-dragging it on top of the Collection Set icon will make a copy.

• By Pa4k - 3:21 PM on July 8, 2012

Sorry but ALT-dragging does not work. It’s only move the collection. Copy work with CTRL-dragging

• By MTB - 7:04 PM on August 15, 2012

Thanks for all your useful information here and on Adobe.TV.

I realize that this is a LR4 blog site, but I don’t think the question is too off topic (and I cannot find the answer on other sites). I’m wondering if its possible to make a collection folder within another collections folder using Adobe Bridge CS6? I’ve tried Alt – dragging a collection folder onto another collection folder, but this does not drop it inside. Thanks for any answer/info you can provide.
    Best,
    M

• By David - 9:31 AM on September 24, 2012

“Stacking is now available in Collections.”

Can you elaborate? Using LR 4.1, when I select a series of images in a Collection, Stacking does not appear as as option on the right-click menu. When I check the /Photos/Stacking main menu item, all options are greyed out.

• By David - 9:50 AM on September 24, 2012

Ah, more searching and experimenting has turned up some answers. Stacking is supported in Collections, not Smart Collections. Even then, support appears to be limited, but one useful trick is that you can drag a folder containing stacked images onto the Collections panel, and a new Collection will be created with your Stacks intact.

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:47 AM on September 24, 2012

Stacking is supported in Collections. Perhaps you are in a Smart COllection?