by Julieanne Kost

Comments (9)

Created

January 9, 2012

Well, I seem to be a bit tardy already.

I’m sure that most of you have started on your new year’s resolutions and yet I am still reflecting on the images  from the past 6 months. I enjoy revisiting these “moments in time” as I always find it fascinating to try to find connections between events that I would miss if I relied only on my memory. The snapshots that I take are my visual journal, and at the end of the year, they allow me to  identify the obvious information – such as the events that I have attended as well as the locations that I have visited. Yet they do much more than that, and  I am always surprised at the number of memories and emotions that are triggered by seeing the photographs again.

Certainly  I would not expect the images to hold the same significance to you, the viewer, as they did for me. But that is not the point. I am sharing this slideshow (Passing Time) to encourage every image-maker to begin a visual journal for themselves – as a personal project. I am a firm believer that you have to exercise your creativity and you have to practice in order to improve.  So when I found myself in a rut last year, I started capturing images that were meaningful to me –  purely because I wanted to, for my own reasons – not because I think someone else is going to “like” it. And I had a delightful time.

I hope you enjoy the video, but more importantly, I wish everyone a healthy, prosperous and happy new year.

-julieanne

COMMENTS

• By Mike Nelson Pedde - 8:23 AM on January 9, 2012

Thanks for sharing your visual journey! I’ve seen many of these images on Flickr, but they have a different feel to them when put in your sequence. We can never tell what someone else will see in our work, but it’s an invitation for them to travel into their own memories too… either to a specific location like the Garden of the Gods or simply to a place alll their own, triggered by something they see.

And a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you as well!!

Mike.

• By Anders Nilsson - 9:02 AM on January 9, 2012

Actually I made that personal journal during 2011 and it´s nice to look back on the past year through the stream of pictures. I really can recommend it to everyone.
    As you say, Julieanne, it´s a really good way for training you creativity and to do something just for yourself.
    //anders

• By Ernie Sears - 12:36 PM on January 9, 2012

What a awsome set of images! It is so inspiring how you take a few elements to create subtle, but incredible beauty. And maybe the feeling of loneliness ….

• By danny - 12:39 PM on January 9, 2012

I cannot open the slideshow but the pictures are grwat. Thanks.

And I also wish everyone a healthy, prosperous and happy new year.

• By Elaine Bastajian - 2:50 PM on January 9, 2012

Thank you, Julieanne~~inspiring, as always!

• By Mauricio - 8:40 PM on January 9, 2012

Thanks for the inspiration!

• By Robert - 11:24 AM on January 13, 2012

It’s beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

• By rasterdogs - 10:00 AM on January 15, 2012

Wow!
    I’m guessing these are mainly smartphone photographs?
    Show to go you that you don’t need 10 lbs of photo gear to make beautiful, evocative images.
    Thanks!
    JimD

• By Julieanne Kost - 1:46 PM on January 17, 2012

Yes, all of the images were taken with my iPhone. It’s been a very fun project!