by Julieanne Kost

Comments (15)

Created

February 3, 2012

Recently several customers have inquired about creating custom keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom. Unfortunately we don’t have a keyboard shortcut editor like Photoshop but there is a plug in called Keyboard Tamer that might let you accomplish what you need:

Or, for a more extended (and a bit more expensive) option you can try RPG Keys for Lightroom and Photoshop.

I hope these might be helpful.

COMMENTS

• By Tim Riley - 6:21 AM on February 7, 2012

Anyone within the USA, who see’s this blog comment and wants to try a 16 key RPG KEY for 30 days.. Let me know… We have 25 demo units we happily lend out for free. But you have to tell me you noticed us on this amazing blog.

• By Harry Schlatmann - 9:29 PM on February 10, 2012

I use now for over a year the open source software “Paddy”. It saves me lots of time. I use it in combination with the Logitech G13 additional keyboard.
    See: https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68/

• By Lindsay - 1:40 PM on May 25, 2012

seriously….you don’t have a built in way to edit keyboard shortcuts? wow

• By D. Benjamin - 8:18 PM on June 9, 2012

Julieanne, thanks so much for the great creativity and tips you push into the world … the eyecandy and brainfood is aces. And +1 to Lindsay’s thought – I love Lightroom, 4.x has brought a host of pure-awesome w/ it…but still no way to set quick custom shortcuts? I use plug-in extras like LR/Enfuse and it’s just a couple seconds but would much rather a fast key combo than manually hitting File > Plug-in Extras… ea. time I want to export or use other plug-ins. Hopefully we’ll have innate functionality for that in some 4.x release.
      Cheers and keep on the great stuff, please!

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:36 AM on June 11, 2012

I agree, customizable keyboard shortcuts would be great, but I also know that it’s always a balancing act between features and resources each release. So I’m happy that there are other solutions that will help today. Please feel free to post your request here as well:

• By Atronoush - 11:34 AM on June 29, 2013

Its mid 2013 and lightroom 5 is out but this very important feature is still missing.
          I don’t think it should be a matter of “features and resources”, this should be a standard for adobe software like all the other ones!
          It should not be always like this, that end customer buys himself plugins only to find the same features in the next versions of adobe’s version and pay once again to upgrade!

• By Terence Alimario - 8:27 AM on October 16, 2012

Does anyone know if you can customize your keyboard shorcuts in Lightroom 4?

• By Rick - 11:06 AM on November 6, 2012

Julieanne, Please let the developers know that we LOVE Adobe Lightroom. It speeds up my wedding photography workflow so much that I get to spend more time with my family. However, when I need to bump the exposure a bit, or add a favorite preset to a wedding image, it sure would be great to hit, “cmd+” or some similar key stroke, rather then adjust some slider.

As we all know, time is money. Will be looking into the RPG Keys.

Orange shirt Imaging USA volunteer.

• By David N. - 5:43 PM on January 19, 2013

Is there *no* way to change the keyboard shortcuts?? The most used function on my LR is “export with previous”. That shortcut is impossible with one hand. What’s up with that? I spend so much extra time mousing up to the File button, then finding, each time, the export with previous option. Please tell me there’s a way to change this? LR is the most incredible program I’ve ever used for photography. There’s just this one glaring exception.

• By Carol R - 10:47 AM on March 9, 2013

David N – instead of mousing to the File button, you can right click either on the image or the thumbnail and chose Export > Export with previous from the context sensitive menu. There are lots of shortcuts using the right click option!
    Hope this helps.

• By CT Wedding Photographers - 12:54 PM on March 12, 2013

Thanks for the tip on Paddy Harry S!! I had never heard about it but it looks promising. Going to check it out now. Would love to hear if anyone else has experience with it and their thoughts.

• By Brian - 7:37 PM on March 29, 2013

Really!!! this can’t be right, that Keyboard Tamer wouldn’t instatl, the other one looks like you have order some hardware?! what is going on here? can’t change the keyboard shortcuts.. wow! Why did they change the plus&minus tool to change contrast and not zoom in! ahhhhhh Adobe you’re killing me!!

• By Brian Firth - SandboxRaw.com - 9:40 PM on March 29, 2013

might have solved that problem, just had to hold alt, maybe it was always that way :-) I’d still like to switch it .. anybody have a trick?

• By AndrewCCM - 5:43 PM on July 11, 2013

It wouldn’t even be that bad if at least Photoshop ACR and LR had the same defaults. I am forever frustrated with the CROP shortcut being C in ACR and R in LR. Why in the world would you make them different?? Some will say, use one or the other…but for me, depending on my assignment, I may be going straight to ACR from Photo Mechanic or from LR to Photoshop. Anyway, I just wanted to voice my thoughts as well..

Andrew