by Julieanne Kost

Comments (7)

Created

February 25, 2012

Last week, I had a series of 600 images in a time-lapse series of some clouds moving over a mountain, but I only wanted to use 300 of them to turn into a short video clip in Photoshop. My dilemma was that I needed a quick way to select every other image. I adjusted the thumbnail view so that I could see as many thumbnail icons at one time, and made sure that there were an even number showing in the rows. Then I selected the Painter tool, loaded it with the Flag attribute and swiped from top to bottom along every other column. Once I had flagged every other image, I filtered by flag, chose select all, and then put the 300 images into a collection. Voila!

COMMENTS

• By Trevor - 5:41 AM on February 25, 2012

Very clever solution. Thanks for sharing.

• By Maryann - 5:55 AM on February 25, 2012

Genius idea

• By Des Thureson - 1:41 AM on February 26, 2012

Very smart and helpful idea. Thanks for sharing.

• By Sven - 5:32 AM on February 27, 2012

Hi Julieanne,
    an “automatic” option would be a text search for “filename” containing 1. 3. 5. 7. 9. (for all odd pictures) resp. 2. 4. 6. 8. 0. (for all even pictures) assuming that your files still have their original file names.

• By Key - 6:25 PM on June 27, 2012

A select every “n” image would be a great help. It starts to get more an more complicated when you have thousands of images in sets of 5 EV brackets. I end up having to go outside of LR to create folders, move images, and then find missing photos 5 times (once for each new sub-folder). It works, but it isn’t anywhere near as nice as doing it directly in LR.

• By Steve Walesch - 2:03 PM on July 1, 2013

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate your Lightroom videos. Great stuff! I learned quite a few things from you.

For this particular problem I have another tip: go to grid view, filter by metadata, select shutter speed and you can immediately see all the photos taken with a particular shutter speed and create a collection of the selected photos.

This tip may not work for all time lapse projects (if there are lots of varying shutter speeds it could be a bit tricky), but in many cases this will be super fast.

Regards,