Russell Brown’s Texture Panel

Adobe Photoshop

The amazing Russell Brown, Senior Creative Director at Adobe Systems, has worked with the generous folks at FLYPAPER Textures to create a cool new Textures panel for Photoshop CS5 and CS6 Beta.  The Texture panel adds textures to images, scales them automatically, and sets a blend mode – all in one step. You can even randomize the addition of 2 textures at one time!

AND the sample textures can be used in PS Touch as well.

Click here for the Panel Installer:

Click here to watch Russell’s Tutorial Movie

Nice!

Adobe Photoshop

Posted on 03-29-2012

Comments

• By Rideau River – one good picture - 7:48 AM on March 29, 2012

[…] I’ve been flat out busy lately with little time to get out with the camera.  But, one fun diversion has been playing with Photoshop CS6, which was released this week for public beta testing.  I’ve never owned the full version of Photoshop (only Photoshop Elements), but I’m quickly learning there is a lot to love about this program.  One of them is a slick way of adding texture layers and blend modes to images via an add-on panel which includes a preloaded selection of Flypaper Textures.   If any CS5 or CS6 users are interested in having the texture panel, you can follow the links from Julianne Kost’s blog, HERE. […]

• By Elaine B - 5:24 PM on March 29, 2012

Holy moly~~that’s so cool!!! I’ve been using free textures, but I just may have to buy the Flypaper Taster Pack :~)

• By Marlene Lehman - 5:18 AM on March 30, 2012

Thank you so much! The tutorial was super. It’s totally amazing what can be done using PS5.

• By Keith - 6:19 AM on April 2, 2012

Does this only work with Flypaper Textures, or any textures?

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:10 AM on April 10, 2012

Currently it only works with the Flypaper Textures but I am really hoping that we can use our own at some point…

• By DaniLew - 6:31 PM on April 5, 2012

This looks great; I can’t wait to test it out this weekend. Thanks Russell!

Thanks for posting it, Julieanne. It was wonderful to chat with you at PSW DC 2012.

Danielle

• By Naturesetude » Blog Archive » Flypaper Textures - 7:55 AM on May 1, 2012

[…] Thanks to the Julieanne Kost’s Blog , I discovered Flypaper Textures, a creative way of doing something different to an otherwise ok image; an image that you like but just doesn’t seem to have that artistic punch that you want. Flypaper has an very interesting array of various textures that one can play around with, either using them as an “overlay” in the Photoshop or in some other type of blend mode. The every creative Russell Brown also created a video and texture panel for the taster Flypaper set which can be downloaded for free here (http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2012/03/russell-browns-texture-panel.html) […]

• By Kathy Beal - 1:08 PM on May 18, 2012

This is great! however, I tried loading all the flypaper textures (purchased) and it takes a long time to load and crashed Photoshop (CS5) before it completes loading. The only way I can use this is to load only a sample of the textures. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help!

• By Russell Brown - 1:56 PM on May 22, 2012

I noticed the comment from Kathy regarding my Flypaper texture panel.
    There is definitely an issue with trying to load large textures with my panel. It is just not possible to use the full resolution images from Flypaper. You can use about 10 large images at one time, but no more. I highly recommend reducing their size before targeting the folder of textures. It is a great panel, but it has some definite memory issues that I will need to resolve in the future.

Sincerely,
    Russell Brown

• By Gerald Levy - 7:30 AM on December 17, 2012

As a big fan of Flypaper textures, I was very interested to download your panel. However, I get an error message when I click on ‘Click Here for the Panel Installer’:

Not Found

The requested URL /PaperTexture.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2 Server at http://www.russellbrown.com Port 80

Any ideas? I use a Mac.

Thanks.

Gerald Levy

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:04 PM on December 17, 2012

Yikes! – the link had changed, but it’s working now. Sorry about that.

• By Gerald Levy - 7:36 PM on December 17, 2012

Thanks, Julieanne – all’s well! Thanks for all you – and Russell – do.

• By Iris - 10:30 PM on April 24, 2013

I have the Creative Cloud. I downloaded the Pro texture pak. I can find them on my iMac but I can’t find the panel any where in PS CS6. When I open up the extension I get the Adobe Exchange, the papers are in the “my Stuff” folder and say they are installed. When I click on them it just runs the “install” process again. Can you give me some ideas about how I can actually access the installed panel to use it. I must be missing something obvious but I haven’t been able to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:39 PM on April 25, 2013

Unfortunately I don’t know how to trouble shoot Russell’s panel. Here is a link to his page – it might help…

• By Stephen Levine - 9:05 PM on August 10, 2013

So I picked more Flypaper textures. How do I load them into the panel?