by Julieanne Kost

Comments (11)

Created

March 7, 2012

In this video tutorial, (Soft Proofing in Lightroom 4), you’ll learn how Lightroom 4 enables you to soft proof your images and take complete control over a photograph’s color when publishing it to a variety of devices.

COMMENTS

• By Rick Sheremeta - 2:57 PM on March 7, 2012

Great tutorial as always. To bad the Print Module’s “Print Adjustment” doesn’t provide a live view of the final effect…maybe in the next version update?

• By Michael Broom - 7:34 PM on March 12, 2012

I am desperate! I’ve soft-proofed to get the colors to match what I want. Yet, my royal blue continues to print-out much too dark. In the Print area I’ve boasted “Brightness” to 70. Same problem.

All other photos (underwater shots) are fine.

Please help me!

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:25 AM on March 13, 2012

Perhaps you can use the HSL panel to selectively lighten the blue that is printing too dark?

• By Leon Daniels - 3:54 PM on March 14, 2012

Great tutorial!

Only question I have. What is simulate paper & ink for?
    Off course I can imagine what it is for, but when I don’t own a printer and let it print by our local printstore, do I have to check on the simulate paper & ink?
    I used their printprofile

• By DG - 10:36 AM on March 25, 2012

@Michael: It’s hard. Screens are backlit, prints are reflected ambient light. It’s the nature of the beast. Achieving luminosity oin prints is a real challenge! Have you thought of printing on film and putting the prints in a light-box? Some people like that solution. It’s almost WYSIWYG.

• By Charles Brackett - 8:54 AM on June 21, 2012

One difficulty is that the icc profiles for Blurb are CMYK profiles and LR does not appear to recognize or support them. I would love to see that. But at the minimum, it might be useful to let people know that.

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:08 AM on June 22, 2012

If you are going to create and send your books from Lightroom to Blurb, then use sRGB to soft proof in Lightroom’s Develop Module.

• By Perry Robinson - 6:24 AM on June 26, 2012

Great feature but I’m a bit uncertain of what I’m seeing at times.

I use a 2 monitor setup – an Apple display in front of me (main screen with Apple menu, lower quality) and a larger NEC display to my left (better quality for color correction).

On the Apple, I go into Develop, S to Softproof, create a proof copy, and toggle S on and off to adjust settings to compensate for the output profile. However the changes don’t appear to carry over to the NEC monitor when I toggle S.

Iif I click on the original in the filmstrip below, then the proof copy, I see the two different versions on the NEC, but the Softproof setting seems to stay on or off all the time. So I’m never sure if I’m looking at a Softproof version of the original or proof, or a non-Softproof original or proof, on the NEC.

Also, I used to do this in Photoshop by creating a duplicate image to soft proof while looking at the unaltered original at the same time. In LR4, Is there a way to have side by side copies of the original and proof copy side by side, with the profile active on the proof only, and still be able to adjust the proof copy settings only?

Lastly, the background color options are light/medium/dark gray for non-Softproof viewing, and various numerical percentages for Softproof viewing. I think they should be the same to avoid confusion.

Thanks,

Perry

• By Sung - 8:08 AM on July 12, 2013

Hi Julieanne

One of the printing companies that I sent pictures to use ‘Coated FOGRA39′ as their icc profile for printing. This is already installed in my Mac (OS X). How do I add this to Lightroom Soft Proofing Profile list?

Thanks

Sung

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:46 AM on July 16, 2013

Go to the develop module and turn on Soft Proofing.
      In the Soft Proofing, choose “Other” from the profile drop down list.
      Find the profile in the dialog box and enable it (via checkbox).
      -j

• By Sung - 12:12 PM on July 22, 2013

Hi Julieanne

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps, I explained my question badly. What I would like to know is how to add icc profiles that are not included in the list.

When I did what you suggested, the list only shows Display Profiles (if I untick Include Display Profiles, there is no profiles listed).

I use LR4 for Mac.