by Julieanne Kost

Comments (8)

Created

April 12, 2012

If you skip ahead in this video to @ 4:38 (Questions about Lightroom and Photo Management), I talk about how to archive or move your images from your internal drive to an external one. As you will see, it is easiest to move the files to the new drive from within Lightroom.

COMMENTS

• By Dionne - 10:06 AM on April 16, 2012

oh please, please fix this. I have 30,000 images in lightroom 4. 10 gigs of 500 gig remaining.
    If I do not perform the move correctly; it will mess up my library. Please Help :-) pretty please.

• By Dionne - 10:08 AM on April 16, 2012

oops never mind :-) . the link works now. I clicked on the person’s above. :(

• By Boris - 3:32 AM on April 24, 2012

and what is the issue? you will create a link to another drive… I have several drives connected to 1 place and lightroom is happy…

• By Perry Kincy - 6:57 PM on September 15, 2012

Go to lightroom. Click on the + sign above folders on the left menu of LR. Point to your new drive (enter a master folder in that drive ) and point to it. You will now have your lightroom images in the old drive and its Photo folder and all you need to do is drag and drop them using lightroom left menu from the old drive to the new drive Photo folder. This is a move command not a copy command so the images will end up in the new drive. I left my catalog file (the Lightroom catalog) in the old My Pictures folder. You don’t need to have that on the new drive.

• By johnnypez - 12:15 PM on December 4, 2012

I moved all my LR images, inside a single containing folder, to a new larger external drive, using finder on Mac. I haven’t found a way to tell LR that its images are there now, not on the old smaller drive. All my individual folders in LR now have question marks. Is there a way to update LR to be aware of and use that single master folder in its new location, rather than control-clicking and relinking my dozens of folders one by one?

• By Janice Thomas - 5:27 AM on March 18, 2013

I would like to make sure Creative Cloud is on this new hard drive. The old one crashed and I had to get rid of it. This is a new hard drive and I need the Creative Cloud program on this hard drive.

Janice Thomas