by Julieanne Kost

Comments (35)

Created

June 27, 2012

In previous versions of Photoshop, many of the more “artistic” filters were not only available through the Filter Gallery, but were also listed in the Filter menu in categories such as Artistic, Brush Strokes etc.. In previous versions of Photoshop, when any of these “artistic”  filters were selected, they invoked the Filter Gallery (where multiple filters could be added and individual Filter options could be customized). In order to clean up this “duplication” (filters being accessible via the Filter menu as well as the Filter Gallery), in Photoshop CS6, the “artistic” filters have been hidden from the menus yet are all available via the Filter Gallery.

If you prefer to see each one of the “artistic” filters in the FIlter menu, choose Preferences > Plug-ins > Show All Filter Gallery Groups and Names.

COMMENTS

• By Erika - 9:59 AM on August 5, 2012

although that tip SHOWS all the “Artistic” filters, how come they aren’t USABLE? on my PS, they’re greyed out, along with the Distort and Pixelate options??

• By Julieanne Kost - 4:25 PM on August 5, 2012

Is your file in 16 bit? Those filters will only run on 8 bit files. To change the bit depth select Image > Mode > 8 Bits/Channel.

• By Chelle - 5:58 AM on March 31, 2013

Thanks that just helped me too :)

• By Tanvi - 8:46 AM on June 4, 2013

hi im nt able to locate artistic filters. im using cs6 n its nt there under filter

• By Shannon - 1:31 PM on August 14, 2013

Thank so much!! Been working a project and could NOT figure this texture thing out. I finally got it to show in my Filters Panel but like many others mine was grey and I could not use it. This got me back on track, thank you sooooo much!!

Shannon

• By Eli - 7:45 PM on September 1, 2012

Thank you very much!! I am a student still learning this program and I about lost it when I got the upgrade and lost some of my filters. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• By Wes - 2:28 PM on September 18, 2012

I was really hoping that those filters would be able to be used when working within 16 bits as part of the improvement in CS6 vs. CS5. I would like to work at 16 bits due to banding issues that crop up but use those creative filters all the time so not having this be part of the upgrade is extremely disappointing.

Why is it that you did not upgrade those filters to work with the extra bit depth??

• By Raid - 2:19 PM on October 1, 2012

Its frustrating though because there is not an option for the pattern maker, do you know of a way to get that back? i know that importing it from cs5 will just break it.

• By sam smith - 9:07 AM on November 9, 2012

where is the preferences menu, i cant seem to find it

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:11 AM on November 10, 2012

On the Mac it is under the Photoshop menu, on Windows it is under the Edit menu.

• By Manish - 1:07 AM on November 12, 2012

all who can not find it can go to edit >preferences and check the three boxes from bottom and enjoy.

• By Sammy Daulong - 9:36 AM on December 5, 2012

Thank you so much for the information.
    It might be added that the artistic filters did not display when in CMYK, only in RGB. On my Win8 CS6 install.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:58 PM on December 5, 2012

Artistic filters have never been enabled to work on CMYK documents.

• By Joanna Bridges - 7:02 AM on January 9, 2013

I am using CS5. I had all the filters available and now they are greyed out. Why is that? I did go into preferences but don’t have a choice in Plugs In to Show All Filter Gallery Groups and Names. Why is it I would have the choice of Artistic and other filters and now they are gone? What can I do to get them back? I am working on a project now where I planned to use the filters and am now stymied. Thank you for your help.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:26 AM on January 9, 2013

Is your image in 16 bit? Most of the artistic filters work with 8 bit images. Try converting them using Image > Mode > 8 Bit.

• By Joanna Bridges - 7:46 AM on January 9, 2013

Great! Thanks so much. That worked perfectly. And thank you especially for your fast reply.

• By Joanna Bridges - 7:52 AM on January 9, 2013

Another question: I have my filters back but when I try to apply them, they are applied over the image so it can’t be seen, rather than to the image. I have used these before and they affected the image, rather than painting over it. What do I do to change that? Thanks.

• By Joanna Bridges - 9:05 AM on January 9, 2013

Never mind last question! It was a dumb one. Realized that I was zoomed in so only seeing changes on a blank wall not whole photo.

• By Jenny - 9:25 PM on January 12, 2013

Thank you! oh thank you so much!

• By Kristie Wilder - 2:27 PM on January 23, 2013

Thank you so much for this simple article… I’ve had my cs6 for 6 months or longer now and I was wondering where my filters went. Spent over an hour on hold with adobe several times and finally gave up. Had contacted online chat support, but they said I had to call… THANK YOU for solving this problem for me!

• By Carly - 3:16 PM on February 11, 2013

I changed it to 8 bit and mine still wont let me use the artistic filters or the brush strokes filter.
    Help?

• By Erik - 1:56 PM on March 11, 2013

I already was in 8 bit mode and mine still wont let me use the artistic filters I need (they’re greyed out)

I’m using Photoshop CS6 Adobe Creative Cloud.

Help!

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:13 PM on March 14, 2013

Are the files in RGB?

• By mark - 2:39 PM on May 16, 2013

hi ERIK!!! ok click on ‘Edit’….click on ‘Preferences’….click on ‘Plug-Ins’……then check the box that says “show all filter gallery groups and names”….then click ok :)

• By Max - 8:59 AM on March 19, 2013

I have installed all the plug-in as it’s said in the instruction. But I still can’t see the pattern maker in filters menu. HELP please…

• By Erwin - 4:21 AM on March 25, 2013

Max,
    The Pattern Maker is one of the optional plug-ins that you can download from the Adobe site.
    Look for the optional plug-ins for CS5; it’s stated that the Pattern Maker is not supported in CS6 but I installed it and it works fine.
    Cheers
    Erwin

• By ronny - 7:14 AM on April 16, 2013

I am working in CS6, working in 8bit, looked at the preference-plug-in and they are checked:
    show all filter galleries, etc. in the filters menu many of the specific filters are still greyed out or missing within a specific filter.

Looking specifically for plastic wrap filter. Any suggestions… thanks

• By ronny - 7:18 AM on April 16, 2013

PS if i change to RGB then more of the filters are present, still can’t find the plastic wrap?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:14 AM on April 20, 2013

It’s not listed under Filter > Filter Gallery > Artistic > Plastic Wrap?

• By Pete Green - 10:56 AM on April 22, 2013

Have you looked in the Filter>Filter Gallery Ronny? It should be in there.

If you would like to see the item in the Filter menu, you can change the Photoshop PReferences
      Preferences: Plug-Ins: Filters / Show all Filter Gallery groups and names
      Check that and restart Photoshop — You should then have plastic wrap in your filters menu again.

• By YM - 5:44 PM on May 5, 2013

I did as well all the check in preferences and rebooted the pc but still no access to Filter / Artistic
    in it unclickable, in light grey but no drop down menu to access it
    Is there any possibility to have that plug-in?
    thanks for your advise

• By Jon Templeman - 8:28 AM on June 10, 2013

Thanks, this resolved the issue for me

• By Ioannis - 6:12 AM on July 7, 2013

thank you!

• By Shaunna - 4:56 AM on August 10, 2013

I would like to get more filters as I think the available ones are just so limited. Can anyone tell me where I can get more filters for cs6, thanks, cheers shaunna