by Julieanne Kost

Comments (12)

Created

August 28, 2012

Occasionally I need to remove IPTC metadata from a file when I demo Photoshop and Lightroom. In order to do this quickly, I’ve created a metadata template which has blank fields AND a check to the right of each field. When applied, Lightroom replaces the metadata that I entered in the previous demo with the “blank” data so that I can demonstrate adding it again.

Be careful with this one – I once wiped out an entire years worth of keywords that I had applied.

COMMENTS

• By Alex - 5:13 AM on August 28, 2012

Could you give an example as to “when” you would need to do that?

Thank you.

• By Pieter Huizinga - 5:30 AM on August 28, 2012

Very smart!

• By Rokon - 4:24 AM on August 29, 2012

Thanks for your information but can you provide any tutorial on photo manipulation

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:00 AM on August 29, 2012

All fo the tutorials I have about Photoshop are here:
      National Association of Photoshop Professionals and Lynda.com and many others have excellent trainers and tutorials.

• By Rajesh - 12:13 PM on September 1, 2012

Ok just realized that my copyright metadata preset was actually setup to blank out GPS making me lose my geotags from all pictures (jpg). Is there any way to recover this metadata?
    Thanks

• By Rajesh - 8:59 PM on September 1, 2012

Great post. I created a similar preset for adding copyright information but the preset somehow had the GPS items checked with blanks, so my entire JPG photo collection got the copyright information but all GPS information was removed. Is there any way to recover the metadata that is overwritten by the metadata presets?

Thanks!

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:55 PM on September 13, 2012

Unfortunately there is not a way to recover the GPS information if you have already saved the metadata to the JPEG files. If you have backups (prior to applying the metadata preset), then it would be possible to restore those.

• By Rob Greer - 11:21 AM on January 30, 2013

Super duper Julieanne! I needed to submit some “clean” photos to a competition and this is just the info I needed. And this page came up first on Google. And you know how much I love that! ;)

• By Vikas - 4:49 PM on February 10, 2013

Excuse what might be a naive question but is there somewhere I can download of buy this template for removing metadata? Also will this also remove Captions or Comments?

TIA.

• By Julieanne Kost - 9:42 AM on February 12, 2013

Vikas,
      If you open the metadata template editor and check the fields that you want to clear (using hte checkbox on the right), then save that template you should be up and running.

• By Whitney - 10:55 AM on April 27, 2013

OK. Just to clarify, if you leave these fields blank and checked as a preset, there will be NO copyright data attached to the image upon being exported? That is what I am gathering but just wanting to be SURE as that is what I am hoping to achieve. Thank you!!

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:51 AM on April 28, 2013

If you don’t add copyright data to the image, then there won’t be any added on export. Just look in the Metadata panel to see if there is information that you don’t want to include.